dublins latest scene that celebrates itself (2 Viewers)

King Sativa are pretty good alright

Were The Century Steel Band Irish?
They did ''Spancill Heel- ooh yah yah-ooh yaah -yaah''

Originally posted by Pantone247
I never saw the attraction in reggae

I can't believe a man like yerself doesn't like reggae. What about 'Funky Kingston'? What about 'Chase the Devil'? What about "that's not brotherly love, that's not sisterly love, better change your plan and be a better man"
Might have to do ya a reggae mixtape if I ever am that way inclined

Originally posted by Alex
Old, I don't really see your point...... ? What's wrong with Reagge????

The answer is, Reggae is the opposite of what an Irish band should sound like. Judging by our most internationally famous/succesful bands.
Reggae is All sunshine, hope, and joyfully jiggy. But Unfortunately. Some of our exports sounded like what most of our weather/climate is, a bit cloudy and dull. And moany. There's so many different styles/genres out there to hear and take influence from. And all we come up with (ie: internationally successful) is Indie. But that's the conundrum Rock music is currently in. Things are changing due to free music on the net. Free access to info etc. At least our Rock music isn't horribly Popey like the current US scene. Uuuugh

Originally posted by Alex

Old, I don't really see your point...... ? What's wrong with Reagge????

I've never heard any good reggae played by white people.
Maybe that's cos I like roots stuff and you can hardly whittle on about Marcus Garvey and repatriation if you aren't black.
But I'd rather sit at home listening to Heart Of The Congos that hear some dicey local facsimile.

Originally posted by egg_

I can't believe a man like yerself doesn't like reggae. What about 'Funky Kingston'? What about 'Chase the Devil'? What about "that's not brotherly love, that's not sisterly love, better change your plan and be a better man"
Might have to do ya a reggae mixtape if I ever am that way inclined

Actually I'd like to hear this reggae mix tape you speak of.

Reggae to me is what happens when some art students get togehter to smoke some doobie, in seconds out comes the Bob Marely tape, up goes the bass on the stereo and POUND POUND POUND goes my head. If the student prides himself as a praticularly big stoner they may have some Pete Tosh....zzzzz

It used to wreak my head, stupid posters of Bob Marely with big spliff in hand, silly little stash boxes in black green and red, or whatever. A hatred for Reggae grew.

Now I know this is a very short sighted point of view, like listening to Garth Brooks and saying all Country music is rubbish, but it happened so many times I'm scarred for ever.

Well not really, I do like Firehouse Skank (that Reggae club the yank was sent to Snaky!) and I love the *idea* of Dub and the guys who did it and all that. But I'v never heard anything that really got me going

a simple whiff of a skanky beat sends me into a rage these days.

yeah, dudleys slow songs sound very like the 'play, but lay off dudley ruight! he was the original internet pirate! i recently heard a story about one time when he started calling lots of people nasty names on the net like wanker and the like, including dave road records!.... which is quite strange seeing as they're constantly touching willies these dayz.

Originally posted by Pantone247
It used to wreak my head, stupid posters of Bob Marely with big spliff in hand, silly little stash boxes in black green and red, or whatever. A hatred for Reggae grew.

Well not really, I do like Firehouse Skank (that Reggae club the yank was sent to Snaky!) and I love the *idea* of Dub and the guys who did it and all that. But I'v never heard anything that really got me going
This is SO sad and SO true: all these teens with loose clothes and dreadlocks singing "Legalise it!" and "Don't walk on the grass, smoke it" and all these posters of Bob smoking spliffs !bog

We must *NOT* reduce reagge and Rastafarian culture to what some stupid rebel-wannabe teens and the consequent commercial exploitation have made of them... I think *this* is what you don't like (and I agree there), not the music itself.

Try to consider the cultural background of reagge music. It was born as the expression of the pain of deported people, living in slums and working in slavery condition. Afterwards it was influenced by Rastafarian religion as Ras Tafari (true name: Haile Selassie - Ethiopian emperor in 1960) gave this people a "promised land" and the utopia of a unite Africa where all deported people would go back and live free.

Doesn't all this ring a bell? Is this SO different from the moaning chants of American black slaves which, influenced by Cattolic religion, turned into Gospel and finally into Blues???

It's not all about playing Djembe and smoking ganja man, there is much more! Bob Marley's biography from Steven Davies could put you in the picture. Besides, more practically, when I play a reggae record in a typical Irish rainy day I feel like it's sunny outside: no other music would give you this feeling.

If you're interested in Dub, get "One Punch" of "Dry & Heavy": they're my favourite and, amazingly, are Japanese!!! Wonder if they have dreadlocks :D

Originally posted by Old

I've never heard any good reggae played by white people.
Maybe that's cos I like roots stuff and you can hardly whittle on about Marcus Garvey and repatriation if you aren't black.
See your point, it makes no sense to sing about repatriation if you aren't black. On the other hand you can sing about freedom, friendship, love, etc. (and you don't need to be a fucking hippy to do it). I DID see good reagge played by white people (as I saw good blues), probably it's more about sharing the same values rather than being black, don't you think?

jim carroll shaves his locks

Yeah,yeah jim is still pissed at discovering the cranberries and then being forgetten by them.Maybe the "scene"does celebrate itself but not many other people are celebrating it are they ? also i thought fourtet wuz shite,dudleys great lrgmound good and last post dissapointing.This is the modern world !

I've quit smoking since then. And most stuff that's fun, to be honest. This is all I have left, and it's not fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back