Dublin Recording Studios (1 Viewer)

CinnamonBoy

Folks, I wish had the skills patience, time and brainpower to go the DIY route but we want to record a commercial sounding song, two if there's time somewhere.

I was set on Hive in Kilcoole, as everything sounds fucking great from there AND to give them the business as I'm a semi-resident of that fair village, but it appears to be shut?

Where is good in Dublin CC (preferably)? I gave a quick call to Sun Studios as we rehearse in Temple Lane and they sound like they'd give you a good deal. We need a piano and we'll be draftng in a violinist so I don't want a garden shed job.

Any advice lads?

For pro level studios The Meadow (Delgany), Bow lane, Sun.

There's a bunch of slightly smaller and no less quality studios about.
Personally I'd find an engineer you want to work with and go from there as most have deals with studios. For commercial sounding stuff Ivan Jackman who works outta Bow Lane and The Meadow (he did the last Bitch Falcon release) would be my choice not that I dod any commercial sounding stuff hahs. Ryan Trench & Scan aka The Deaf Brothers as above (No Spill Blood), Spud in Guerilla. Tommy O'Sulivan (the Meadow and Bay Studio in Wicklow).

Last record I recorded was Tommy and Scan in a mixture of The Meadow and Tommy's home studio is Ashford. Really happy with the results there.

For pro level studios The Meadow (Delgany), Bow lane, Sun.

As we rehearse in Temple Lane, I think we might get a very good deal in Sun, I'll find out tomorrow. If it's the one that was mooted we'd be fools to go elsewhere. And I think my man Billy will look after us.

What's the craic with bringing in your own engineer, though? Is that not kindof offensive to the lad they offer to you as part of the package?
I mean, I know the music scene is an ego-free sorta place but I don't want to rub anyone up the wrong way.....

Hey...

Am I right in saying that this is the first studio experience you've been in or at least the first that you've had to steer yourself through? Your concern about the etiquette of whether it's ok to bring in your own engineer makes me think you could probably do with someone to guide you through this process while not looking down his nose at your inexperience...an expert who is on your side, kinda thing.
And is Billy the guy who you want to engineer the record?
From what I can tell from your posts, I'd strongly advise going with Les Keye / Arad. You'll learn a lot from him. He's a great guy, more than competent technically, and a thoughtful open-minded producer. He's not on the expensive side of things either. He might be amenable to Billy assisting the session.
(I don't have any connection with Les by the way, just thought he was the best fit)

Hey...

Am I right in saying that this is the first studio experience you've been in or at least the first that you've had to steer yourself through? Your concern about the etiquette of whether it's ok to bring in your own engineer makes me think you could probably do with someone to guide you through this process while not looking down his nose at your inexperience...an expert who is on your side, kinda thing.
And is Billy the guy who you want to engineer the record?
From what I can tell from your posts, I'd strongly advise going with Les Keye / Arad. You'll learn a lot from him. He's a great guy, more than competent technically, and a thoughtful open-minded producer. He's not on the expensive side of things either. He might be amenable to Billy assisting the session.
(I don't have any connection with Les by the way, just thought he was the best fit)

Nah, Billy's the dude that runs the rehearsal studios connected to Sun. If I'd any concerns with the deal I'd talk to him. He wouldn't steer you wrong. And he said we'd probably all sit down and talk about the recording beforehand.

Last time I was in a studio was 15 years ago in Cauldron aged 18 and in hindsight I learned a lot as we were there as part of a prize and we just let the two lads running the place get on with it.

The engineer thing, it was just a general inquiry as to whether studios get snotty about it or not. I've no fucking problem asking or insisting on something if I'm paying my money. I know what I want, I've put the work in, and I'm going to fucking get it.

Then check into Rancho Relaxo for a couple of weeks/collapse, whichever happens first.

I appreciate the advice though and if I'm not comfortable with how things are looking, I will certainly check out your recommendation.
Might check it anyway.

That's great, sounds like you have thought about everything. I hope my post didn't come across as condescending, it was intended as a shorthand for avoiding a long list of things which might make the experience a drag rather than something productive. For what it's worth, I recorded in Sun many years ago, I had no complaints about the place.

That's great, sounds like you have thought about everything. I hope my post didn't come across as condescending, it was intended as a shorthand for avoiding a long list of things which might make the experience a drag rather than something productive. For what it's worth, I recorded in Sun many years ago, I had no complaints about the place.

Not at all. I haven't been in a studio for 15 years so any bit of advice is gratefully accepted.
Rather than acting like an egotistical cunt I prefer to get to know people so I can learn from their advice and/or enjoy a fruitful working relationship with them, and get advice here and get an idea in my noggin about the best way to go about things.

And truth is I really SHOULD be an egotistical cunt because I once played on Open House and Mary Kennedy said we were a lovely bunch of lads and that's fucking big. Real big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back