dual operating systems question (1 Viewer)

Doctor Muscles

Website
members.lycos.co.uk
I've got a computer with two hard disks installed. On C: I want to keep my current WinXP installation, On D: I'm fixin' to install Ubuntu.

Want to have the option on startup to choose which operating system to boot to. If both OS were installed on the same disk then I assume the option would appear automatically, but since they're being put on seperate drives I'm not sure how to go about it.

Tried fucking around in the BIOS but can't give equal priority to both disks in the boot order.

Will this be remedied if I were to physically set the hard disks to master/master as opposed to master/slave? Or is there a way to do this without bothering my bollocks to open up the puter?

Does this even make sense?

I've got a computer with two hard disks installed. On C: I want to keep my current WinXP installation, On D: I'm fixin' to install Ubuntu.

Want to have the option on startup to choose which operating system to boot to. If both OS were installed on the same disk then I assume the option would appear automatically, but since they're being put on seperate drives I'm not sure how to go about it.

Tried fucking around in the BIOS but can't give equal priority to both disks in the boot order.

Will this be remedied if I were to physically set the hard disks to master/master as opposed to master/slave? Or is there a way to do this without bothering my bollocks to open up the puter?

Does this even make sense?

The set up wizard with ubuntu will pretty much do it for you. The easiet way to install ubuntu is on a new hard disk. Tis what I did with no hassle.

If the install went properly then you should have a new boot loader that let's you pick which OS to boot.

Sorted it out. Switched the primary hard disk to D: (ubuntu's drive) then put it as the first boot device in BIOS. Re-started and that GNU GRUB thing appeared, letting me choose between operating systems. phew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back