dpi/ppi question (1 Viewer)

Umfufu

The wife is writing a paper with photos for work.
It was sent off to the printers by her boss but they sent it back saying the image was only 96 dpi & has to be saved as 300 dpi.

I opened the file on GIMP (which I'm a complete noob at) & scaled the image to 300 ppi.

Is this what they meant or does dpi & ppi have nothing to do with each other?

The wife is writing a paper with photos for work.
It was sent off to the printers by her boss but they sent it back saying the image was only 96 dpi & has to be saved as 300 dpi.

I opened the file on GIMP (which I'm a complete noob at) & scaled the image to 300 ppi.

Is this what they meant or does dpi & ppi have nothing to do with each other?

they are different beasts, is there a drop down to change from ppi? i dont have gimp to look at here at present.

they are different beasts, is there a drop down to change from ppi? i dont have gimp to look at here at present.

Not that I can see but I'm only using Gimp for the first time tonight.
Btw, I'm using a Mac & in the meantime the missus changed the image ppi with Preview aswell so maybe Gimp isn't as necessary as I thought.

Anyway, I opened the tiff file in Gimp, clicked Image->Scale & then saw this

Grabppi.jpg

If I click on the pixels/in menu i get a list with:

pixels/in
pixels/mm
pixels/pt
pixels/pc
pixels/cm
pixels/m
pixels/ft
pixels/yd
pixels/tpt
pixels/tpc

i had a hoak around gimp on my old computer there, i cant see a way to do it. its all very easy in photoshop so far as i remember. are there many images? there are a few online convertors out there probably, or if there aren't many i'll do them in photoshop here.

The image is actually 4 photos in a box.
Not sure if you count that as 1 image or 4?

Ok, it's just one image. It was originally made up of 4 separate photos that we may be able to root out individually if it helps but the image is saved as a tiff & also have the powerpoint file that it's saved in.

i dont know, though i just had a wee look in photoshop here - dpi and ppi are different things, but photoshop has actually less options than gimp. I would say bumping the ppi to 300 might be enough, as apparently thats all i've ever done anyways. I'm a bit tired, probably would have copped this an hour ago with sufficient tea.

i dont know, though i just had a wee look in photoshop here - dpi and ppi are different things, but photoshop has actually less options than gimp. I would say bumping the ppi to 300 might be enough, as apparently thats all i've ever done anyways. I'm a bit tired, probably would have copped this an hour ago with sufficient tea.

Yeah, there seems to be lots of confusion over this.
Even in the tools section of Preview the DPI setting is measured in pixels per inch.

Think we're just going to send it to them at 300 ppi & see what they say.
Failing that, all we can do is send them the original photos & see what they can do.

ann post ; Was about to give rep to say thanks for trying to help but rep seems to have disappeared again.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back