DJs, Musicians and Visual dudes (2 Viewers)

desertedvillage said:
Art students are trained to give reasons and meaning for their creations but when someone makes and intallation of a light going on and off in a room and calls it a meditaion on mortality or some shit it leaves me cold. Did anyone ever get a lump in their throat or a sharp intake of breath when turning the corner to see Duchamp's urinal or Emin's bed?

I think the point of Duchamp's urinal or Emin's bed is to leave you cold and think this is pointless.

They're just reminders that art can really be anything at all. It gets shit when people start copying that.

chickenham said:
Gavin! I'm horrified - I never took you for a reactionary.
'I know what I like ... a picture of a horse or something - in a field, that's art. All them squres and circles, sure that's not art'.
A taxi driver talking about his stay in a mental institution.

"yeah, Well, I know what i loike buh"

My 'shit' is fuelled by the fire in my belly and I expect the same of everyone else. Concepts and theories are fine as long as the work has some substance.

The irony is, I dedicate a lot of my time to music which is dismissed as arty wank by a lot of people, sometimes taxi drivers, taxi drivers whom I pay to carry me and my sheets o' steel to venues. Taxi drivers who should either go on a vendetta like Travis Bickle or shut up complaining about shit when I'm trying to get in the Zone ante-gig.

MacFlecknoe said:
I think the point of Duchamp's urinal or Emin's bed is to leave you cold and think this is pointless.

They're just reminders that art can really be anything at all. It gets shit when people start copying that.

It's cool that Duchamp made the point that art can be anything, someone had to make that point eventually I suppose. Lets take the idea on board and get on with making new stuff - it was almost 90 years ago. Just 'cause anything can be art doesn't mean it's any good.

Vinnie said:
And who decides if it's any good?

That's a fair cop guv.

We all decide, hence the disaggrements.

What I was trying to say is that it's weak in this day and age when people are still conveying the idea that anything can be art and very little esle in their work and it's supposed to be "far out"

No, seriously - what is good and what is not good and who will tell us these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back