DIPLO's Irish debut this Friday at Ri Ra (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
Wide O presents

DIPLO

+ Nick James

Ri Ra, Dame Court, Dublin 2

Fri 26th August. Doors 11:30pm

Tickets €12 from City Discs, All City, ROAD, Sound Cellar.

"Astonishing stuff... genuinely from off the musical map, sounds you haven't heard before, or at least haven't heard treated with such childlike invention and innocenceDJ

"A psychedelic kaleidoscope of hallucinatory abstractions, there's nothing else out there that sounds like this" – IDJ

Mississippi-born producer DIPLO makes an eagerly-awaited debut Irish show when he comes to the intimate confines of Ri Ra in Dublin on Friday 26th August.

Having released one of the best albums of 2004 with his debut ‘Florida’ (Big Dada) – a universally lauded album with a cutting edge distinction had one critic hailing him as ‘hiphop’s answer to the Aphex Twin’; DIPLO has come to prominence this year as the musical force behind MIA’s Mercury-nominated ‘Arular’ album while also having remixed Gwen Stafani, RJd2, DJ Shadow and Kano amongst others.

Much of the Irish contingent who traveled to the prestigious SONAR festival in Barcelona this year came back singing Diplo’s praises. By all accounts; his DJ sets have to be seen to be believed. Tickets for this show are just €12.

DIPLO ‘FLORIDA’

After much hanging about, much talk, much bluster, much hype, at last it¹s time for Diplo to drop his debut long player.

Born in Mississippi and now living in North Philly, Diplo was raised in Florida, his childhood informed by shrimp boats, manatees and the mysteries of the swamp, combining in his comic book-addled head into a supernatural arena for dinosaurs, naked hippy chicks and extreme violence.

With his first album he takes the sounds and experiences (both real and

imaginary) of those years and makes them into something utterly new ­ a fried-out booty shaking hip hop psych rock epic that combines his love for the harsh snap and echoing boom of bass music and matches it up with a dedicated crate digger¹s ear for a sample and a classical composer¹s feel for development, for tension and release. The results are startling ­ beautiful and ecstatic, at times down-home and thrown-together, at others as slick and futuristic as a spaceship.

Already renowned from coast to coast as a DJ (due to the national success of the Hollertronix mixtape and parties he founded and the recent megamix he made for RJD2), Diplo¹s production skills have in the past got him gigs for both David Banner and Bigg Jus (Company Flow). And the strength of this production means that this largely instrumental album is also blessed by vocals from Vybz Cartel (of ³Up 2 Di Time² fame and probably the hottest, most credible star in Jamaica right now) and P.E.A.C.E. (the Freestyle Fellowship legend). But rather than letting these contributions overwhelm proceedings, Diplo uses them as stand-outs on an album that feels more like a suite of music than a collection of unrelated tunes.

So, put the cd on, sit back, hear the cicadas start up and feel the heat.

DIPLO

Renaissance Man meets Bart Simpson down South

Wes Pentz aka Diplo was born in Tupelo, Mississippi. Most of his childhood was spent in Florida, where his father still owns and runs a bait shop. His youth was spent discussing Œgators with his uncle, working in pop¹s store and dreaming of dinosaurs living hidden out in the swamp. As he grew up he began to channel these obsessions into music (Miami Bass being a touchstone, of course) and film.

After a brief stint at film school and a season out on the shrimp boats, the need to escape from America for a while led to some time in Japan, from where he sent the beat doodles he had been working on to Big Dada in the UK and was promptly signed. He returned to the US and moved to Philly where he and another DJ, Low Budget, began their now-legendary Hollertronix sessions.

The Hollertronix mix cd, ³Never Scared² followed and later in the year the lost classic ³Epistemology Suite² EP became his first release for Big Dada.

³Florida² followed soon after, the debut album which he described as ³based loosely on Wiliam Faulkner¹s ŒGo Down Moses¹ with a definite red clay shrimp and manatee dirty south feel.² Featuring vocals from Martina Topley-Bird, Vybz Cartel, PEACE, Pantera Os Danadinhos and Sandra Melody it showed the breadth of Diplo¹s imagination and the depth of his influences. It was welcomed ecstatically by those who found it but is still to reach the audience it deserved.

Since the record was released, Diplo has:

Toured with Prefuse 73, RJD2, Roots Manuva and M.I.A Performed in: Brazil, Japan and China (as well as the more run-of-the-mill places)

Made the following critically-acclaimed and hard-to-find mix cds: ³Favela On Blast² ³AEIOU² Vols 1 & 2, M.I.A.¹s ³Piracy Funds Terrorism² and ³Hollertronix 2² Has produced for: Kano and M.I.A.

Has remixed: Gwen Stefani, Le Tigre, DJ Shadow (amongst others) He¹s even started writing a regular Dirty South column for Hip Hop Connection On 21/07/2005

diplo album's pretty good. its gonna be a busy weekend. saul williams, diplo and j 5. hurrah.

a cynic old journo i know who came back from sonar this year saying he takes it all back.. that DIPLO had restored his faith in the art of DJing.. can't wait for this

MONDOBRUTALE said:
fuckin better be - saul williams was sold out
leg it down town and get us tix there, darlin
Bollocks to that, you're nearer to town surely?

MONDOBRUTALE said:
i'm in work!
oh wait i got fired i forgot
On your way back into town from work then! I've been drving for hours today, I'm not leaving my couch till this evening.

I am passing Kearney off to anyone who wants to take him.Andy he is yours if you want him.I wash my hands of him.He needs medical care 24/7
nofriendo said:
I'm not going IF kearney's going!

MONDOBRUTALE said:
i'm going to greece to buy algarve hats

He is stocking up.He wants to upgrade to E.U. t-shirt month instead of E.U. t-shirt week.Anyway Im sick of talking about that loo laa.Enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back