Did Buggles have more than one decent song? (1 Viewer)

It's The Buggles. Who knew?

The fun, quirky single "Video Killed the Radio Star" garnered The Buggles international attention in 1980, but it was just one of The Age of Plastic's fascinating, futuristic visions. From the title track's opening strains, Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes transform your living room into a world of Jetson-like proportions. It's a world, though, where technology is seen for what it is — full of both promise and frightening implications. On "I Love You Miss Robot," a metaphorical love affair with a robot explores modern man's relationship to, and dependence on, technology. "Kid Dynamo"'s spirited tempo, biting lyrics, and menacing vocal track questions the loss of imagination plaguing the mass media age. For the most part, The Age of Plastic is a fun record that doesn't need to be taken too seriously, though a subtle sense of loss is woven throughout. Variety is the constant and tracks vary from the giddy "Video," to the dark and pulsating "Johnny on the Monorail.." The vision here is so beautifully articulated that the superb musicianship and production wizardry is easily overlooked. Paradoxically, Horn and Downes employed electronic devices (which were considered new and cutting edge in the late seventies) to create an album which, at times, spoke eloquently about their drawbacks. With The Age of Plastic, Horn and Downes stamped an indelible image in the collective pop psyche. What is equally impressive is the sound of this disc given its analog origins and 1980-release date. While hiss can be heard in some of the quieter passages, it would be difficult to find a record from this era that sounds half as good. Pop rarely reaches these heights.

Just listening to lp now.Its pretty good.

Aint no Owner of a lonely heart standard shit on it though.But its not bad.

Clean Clean I think is the second best tune on the rekkid.

Rather surprisingly Katrina and the Waves do, their first album is pretty decent if a bit cheesy

Paint by Numbers Heart is ALRIGHT, not good. I think they have a lot of good-ish songs but not especially great.

They have a good few synth riffs and the like that are interesting but the songs usually aren't up to scratch.

so shut up CinnamonBoy

(oh and i'm basing this entirely on their first two albums because i'm a very bad journalist)

"Elstree..remember me" The Buggles were great.

Video Killed The Radio Star" top tune.
Echo Beach by Martha & the Muffins is me fave song of all time.

Didn't the lead singer of Buggles join Yes?

Think Trevor Horn did for a while after The Buggles went tits up, then he produced some great tunes for Dollar, was critically reappraised by Paul Morley with whom he set up ZTT in the process birthing Frankie goes to Hollywood, Propaganda, ACT and eh Seal!

Last I heard of mister horn was that he produced belle and sebastians 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress' because they were his daughters favourite band or something...

ACTUAL CONVERSATION*

Glen: (to manager of ZTT, who has complained about the Frames performance and is rejecting their demos) if you don't like us why did you sign us? Who did you think you were signing?

ZTT: Hootie and The Blowfish

*ALLEGEDLLY!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back