Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (1 Viewer)

I wonder if anyone can help with this - Unfortunately being unemployed and waiting for social welfare (already depressing), I can't afford to go to a GP, nor can I afford whatever perscription he would inevitably write, yet its gotten to the point where I really, really need to see someone about anxiety/depression/some manic issues. I'm a bit at a loss for what to do, honestly, any ideas, or does anyone know if there are any other routes available FOC?

I'm not sure about Ireland but I did find this. In my opinion, CBT is much better than any drug (I've been on a few over the years) that someone could provide. Train your head, not numb it.
http://www.aware.ie/help/education/life-skills-programme/

I'm not sure about Ireland but I did find this. In my opinion, CBT is much better than any drug (I've been on a few over the years) that someone could provide. Train your head, not numb it.
http://www.aware.ie/help/education/life-skills-programme/

Apart from http://www.aware.ie and
http://www.dublincounselingcenter.org/

As a firm believer that the drugs usually do not work I would say see your local councilling service first and have a chat about your circumstances and and your options. There's usually one related to local schools and charities, community services and churches as typically councillors deal with berevement support drug addiction etc.

Free of charge Psychiatrists may decide to prescribe you something prematurely without really understanding the whole issue, because you probably don't understand it either. This is not surprising as any free service is usually overwhelmed and understaffed.

Yeah, I really regret not taking advantage of some pretty good councilling services when I was in education, or even going through the NHS, with all its faults, when I was in the UK. I'll look into some local councilling though, its probably the best bet.

Re: medication, I've been on Lexipro and I think it just made everything worse. I'd just feel strung out and/or panicy at any given time. Might be a case of wrong cocktail, but I'm not sure its for me.

Never considered CBT before, I think it might be worth looking into too.

Thanks lads!

Re: medication, I've been on Lexipro and I think it just made everything worse. I'd just feel strung out and/or panicy at any given time. Might be a case of wrong cocktail, but I'm not sure its for me.

Yeah, that was awful stuff for me too. Effexor was horrendous, some serious whacked out side effects. I don't think I'm depressed but I am anxious and feel very uneasy around unknown people, socially or otherwise. Walking down Grafton Street these days is nearing panic attack stage. I've developed routes of walking through town with the least amount of people and it makes me calmer despite being a bit OCD. I remember you saying you were always low on iron. I'm the same so maybe what you are feeling are some of the side effects. Either way, please talk to someone.

No one should play doctor google but maybe getting a medical check up with blood work to check your different iron levels would be beneficial. Apparently my body doesn't store it correctly despite eating it, I just found this out recently. http://www.pernicious-anaemia-society.org/library/symptom_checklist

Yeah, that was awful stuff for me too. Effexor was horrendous, some serious whacked out side effects. I don't think I'm depressed but I am anxious and feel very uneasy around unknown people, socially or otherwise. Walking down Grafton Street these days is nearing panic attack stage. I've developed routes of walking through town with the least amount of people and it makes me calmer despite being a bit OCD. I remember you saying you were always low on iron. I'm the same so maybe what you are feeling are some of the side effects. Either way, please talk to someone.

No one should play doctor google but maybe getting a medical check up with blood work to check your different iron levels would be beneficial. Apparently my body doesn't store it correctly despite eating it, I just found this out recently. http://www.pernicious-anaemia-society.org/library/symptom_checklist

Effexor works for me but obviously not for everyone. I get no real side effects.

Anxiety can be a lot worse but thankfully I don't suffer from it now. Still a bit uneasy around new people though.

Blood tests can be important, you might have some glandular ailment which is causing depression like symptoms

I wonder if anyone can help with this - Unfortunately being unemployed and waiting for social welfare (already depressing), I can't afford to go to a GP, nor can I afford whatever perscription he would inevitably write, yet its gotten to the point where I really, really need to see someone about anxiety/depression/some manic issues. I'm a bit at a loss for what to do, honestly, any ideas, or does anyone know if there are any other routes available FOC?

You could contact your local Health clinic. You may have to be referred by a GP to see a psychiatrist but you should be able to get to speak to a community psychiatric health nurse.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Mental_Health_Services/

I've been diagnosed with that, pernicious anaemia is a B12 problem rather than an iron one (to which anaemia usually refers) isn't it? Maybe there's a type of it related to iron too, but I've the b12 one.

There are different types of Anemia caused by decreased or faulty red blood cell production. Usually they are connected. Wasn't suggesting she had pernicious anaemia rather just showing some of the possible symptoms that would be similar.... more of less just saying it might be physical rather than mental. Not to say a chemical imbalance isn't physical, but you know what I mean.

I am anxious and feel very uneasy around unknown people, socially or otherwise. Walking down Grafton Street these days is nearing panic attack stage. I've developed routes of walking through town with the least amount of people and it makes me calmer despite being a bit OCD. L]

I would do that too. For me, Xanax has changed my life. Just a small dose, I've taken it for almost two years, I have days when I don't take it, I'm not addicted (I don't think, physically anyway), and, for me, it's wonderful stuff.

I would do that too. For me, Xanax has changed my life. Just a small dose, I've taken it for almost two years, I have days when I don't take it, I'm not addicted (I don't think, physically anyway), and, for me, it's wonderful stuff.

Effexor works for me but obviously not for everyone. I get no real side effects.

Anxiety can be a lot worse but thankfully I don't suffer from it now. Still a bit uneasy around new people though.

Blood tests can be important, you might have some glandular ailment which is causing depression like symptoms
Sorry lads just thought this might be a good time to interject.

I think I posted in this thread about a page or so back to dissuade someone from self medicating using prozac or xanax. I think it's probably not such a great idea to be recommending different forms anti-depressants.

(and Yes I do realise that's not your intention and yes I realise this is coming from someone who spends most of his time on thumped eulogising whiskey and buckfast,)

If there is anyone scanning through this thread for advise who has access to any of the drugs mentioned above please do not just start wolfing them down, in the long run this will more than likely do more harm than good so please see a professional or contact any of the agencies mentioned in this thread.

Thank you.

Agreed. Having been someone who hasn't felt good in years and have had doctors just give me drug after drug (for depression) when I didn't feel depressed or have anything to be depressed about, I am very wary now of drugs. I'm usually laid back and assume 'doctor knows best' but I've changed my attitude. I think it's easy to just assume common symptoms are depression but in reality lots of other conditions can cause the same symptoms. I've actually gotten a bit pushy, which is uncomfortable for me but needed to be done. I feel a hell of a lot better for it. I would suggest that anyone who is feeling a bit off should see a doctor for a full medical check-up with blood work. Let them check out every possibility before pulling out that prescription pad. List every thing that feels off, even if it doesn't seem to make sense with anything else. In the end, it might be a chemical imbalance in the brain that requires meds (let them refer you to someone) but perhaps it's something as simple as diet, deficiency of specific vitamins or minerals (which should not be self medicated either), or an imbalance elsewhere else that depression meds will not fix.

That said, if anyone is feeling down and depressed PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE. Anyone really, professional or not.
Your body is a machine. Not unlike a car, if you don't get it checked out regularly, it might not run efficiently or pass the NCT.
Nothing to be ashamed about, just don't put it off because that rattling noise could get worse. ;)

I also advocate a bit of exercise every day.
Problem is, I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY

Problem is, when you are that fatigued it's hard to even go for a walk.
But yes, 30 minutes of exercise a day supposedly* has the same effect on the brain as low dose depression meds.
A brisk walk can never hurt.

*Again, Doctor Google.

Yeah I know, the big problem is when you actually get depressed, you don't want to leave your bed anyway, so fuck exercise.
But I think if you can manage to get in a routine where you are doing a bit every day, it can help stave off the horror to some extent.

Let's starts a walking club.
And yeah,the drugs,they can work but doctors are far too quick to prescribe them when in all probability they aren't absolutely necessary.Keep talking or instead of that,sit down,write out your problems,have a read then promptly throw it away,it can help you let go.

aye, blood work up. Also, this time last year, after bloods, I called to St. Loman's in Mullingar, where the did the DSM4 assessment, after telling them how low I was feeling. The doctor put me on Lexapro, but more importantly got me fast tracked for CBT. Took about a month for sessions to start. Have you a psych hospital in Navan you can call into? As far as I remember, they never charged me for the visit, and haven't been charged a penny for weekly CBT sessions this last year.

Yeah, I think my problem right now is that I'm finding it really hard to do anything at all. Like getting out of bed just seems like the worst idea ever and when I'm out of bed I just keep thinking "I wish it was bedtime again so I could just sleep through all of these days". Agh, that sounds very self indulgent indeed, but you get my drift. I think maybe some of it is isolation and circumstance, but yeah.

Anyway, I'm looking into talking to someone, seems like the best first step in any case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back