DELICIOUSLY OBSCURE SURREALISM (1 Viewer)

puppetmonkey

Avant garde, experimental, surreal – these are just some of the words that spring to mind when describing Future Shorts Ireland next Dublin event.
FSI, in association with the Project Arts Centre are presenting a re-score of the 1994 animated fantasy Faustby Czech film maker Jan Svankmajer.

Faust is an ordinary, unexceptional man, who, after a routine day stumbles upon an absurd rarity. Led by nothing but blind curiosity and a bizarre map, he finds himself in a derelict theatre. As he innocently recites lines from an old script he finds lying around, he accidentally summons a demonic alter-ego, Mephistopheles, who tempts him with eternal gratification in exchange for his soul. The film features live action, stop motion animation and peculiar clay puppets speaking in rhyme.

FSI, assisted by the Project, hope to bewilder their audience by taking a theatrical and interactive approach to cinema, by blurring the lines between cinema and theatre, reality and hyper-reality.

Super melodic maestros, Red Square, will be providing a deeply moving live soundscape for the film. This superb quintent will bring a unique and beautifully crafted dimension to this highly acclaimed cult classic.

The night also includes a titillating mini-slate of both Irish and international shorts, along with other surprises, making this one-off event a must see.

The doors open at 7.30pm with the show beginning at 8.00pm sharp. Tickets are €10 with a student price of €8.

its on this wednesday 26th.

sorry about that. not used to proofreading my posts on thumped.

hey skrellp. there's no need for the fear. ill admit i had my doubts too at first but i've gotten a sneak preview and its quality.

hmm. not to sure about live accompaniment to films. faust is a great film but it sounds like theres gonna be a whole lot going on that might distract from the film itself. i remember seeing a live "rescore" of nosferatu by will oldham and dave pajo and thought it was a total waste of time.

It can be good. ADF did a live rescore of La Haine here 3 or 4 years ago which was great.

//not to mention the somadrone rescore of La Jetée, more recently, which was apparently good

I've mostly had bad experiences with Czech animation. However, I've been reliably informed that this will be great.

Well, technically the words used were "an adventure", which is more or less the same thing...

Right?

Bellatrix said:
I've mostly had bad experiences with Czech animation. However, I've been reliably informed that this will be great.

Well, technically the words used were "an adventure", which is more or less the same thing...

Right?

well. faust is terrific so its probably worth sticking your head in the door even if your ears weren't working that night...

dunno. when i saw pajo and oldham doing their rescore it was just them strumming away and turning up the feedback on their guitars at totally random points during the film. pointless. cant imagine having any kind of wonderful dream involving nosferatu though...

wonderful dream/unsettling nightmare full of forbidding pointy shadows
doesn't ring a bell, though. I'm preparing myself to be retroactively annoyed in case they did.
Can't go wrong with a bit of Svankmajer, and I missed his stuff at Darklight due to hangover commitments last month.

this is deadly
jabber.jpg

I haven't seen it since I was about 10. I recall being confused, then bored. Then nothing.

Was I wrong?

ICUH8N said:
I haven't seen it since I was about 10. I recall being confused, then bored. Then nothing.

Was I wrong?
i saw it a couple of years ago on a dvd of european shorts from 60/70s. it was the only one i can remember ...so yeah if thats a recommendation. actually maybe i only remember it because i was so blown away by faust.. memory eh? what a selective bastard

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back