Definitely not a Betty Windsor thread (1 Viewer)

I had to do a minutes silence yesterday, in my sporty job (I knew they wouldn't last a full ten days without footy balls). it was the most aggressively enforced raucous and frankly loudest minutes silence I've ever experienced. "Oi! shut up you cunt! It's a minutes silence you wanker!".

And I've experienced minutes' silences in Croker.

Then I had to do another one today. It was a good cigarette break actually. Then loads of police chaperoned buses came by. The police helicopters weren't silent. Apparently the buses were full of princes and emporers and that. All I know is that they were in my way. VERY strange buzz around the place here.

and another one today. Very odd here today, everything was closed except strangely Caffe Carluccio.

Also, since where I was working is on the route to Windsor Castle, the whole road has been shut down to traffic. Police drafted in from all over the UK and even the Isle of Man and Guernsey. I'm sure they're real useful in London.

But somehow my client sweet-talked the Superintendent this morning and managed to get his trucks through the cordon for the day. I think, since this has never happened before, Big Important Policeman didn't know what to do with us, so he let us crack on. We're the only non-emergency vehicles allowed to move on this road, including the residents.

And what we're doing has NOTHING to do with the funeral.

I've never heard the funeral march tune played in earnest.

I'd like to think the hearse driver has his windows up and is actually listening to some banging D&B.

And all the bear fur hatted soldiers are hiding airpods and are listening to Rinse FM.

Edit addition: yes I am watching it on TV, because Australian friend messaged me. Irish him and his European wife are watching it, so I had to watch it. She thought the procession might pass my gaff. It definitely won't.

Personally I don't feel comfortable with any of this. They're using ped fence instead of PCB. Madness.

I've never heard the funeral march tune played in earnest.

I'd like to think the hearse driver has his windows up and is actually listening to some banging D&B.

And all the bear fur hatted soldiers are hiding airpods and are listening to Rinse FM.

the whole thing looks like some 19th century toy soldier bollox

Personally I don't feel comfortable with any of this. They're using ped fence instead of PCB. Madness.
On closer viewing, the PCB is keeping the crowd back, and there's some aesthetic ped fence placed there as well. Good they're keeping the plebs under control while keeping up appearances.

PCB is Police Control Barrier, heavy steel fence that tells you what to do. Ped fence is light aluminium fencing which merely suggests what you should do. I expect all of the "i" emoji's for that thanks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Has there ever been any political power system that hasn't flowed from the barrel of a gun? Or like, knife / spear / rock attached to stick.

I'm trying to think of a regime that didn't. Am I being thick here? Was the transition of power in the UK from The Crown to the House of Commons (right?) peaceful? Not really right?

Hmm. I guess... even though Eastern Germany was preceded by a lot of killing you could say that was just setting the stage and the actual transition was peaceful. After all the killings and crushings of opponents and ideas, like.

Actually, there's been a few it seems.

But, violent transition is pretty common I'd argue. Data didn't need to go outing his active Ra operative roots.

Has there ever been any political power system that hasn't flowed from the barrel of a gun? Or like, knife / spear / rock attached to stick.

I'm trying to think of a regime that didn't. Am I being thick here? Was the transition of power in the UK from The Crown to the House of Commons (right?) peaceful? Not really right?

Hmm. I guess... even though Eastern Germany was preceded by a lot of killing you could say that was just setting the stage and the actual transition was peaceful. After all the killings and crushings of opponents and ideas, like.

Actually, there's been a few it seems.

But, violent transition is pretty common I'd argue. Data didn't need to go outing his active Ra operative roots.

The evidence was always there, right in front of you, but you never noticed.

(read that in a menacing Nordie accent)

This paragraph:

"On Saturday, I pushed my way through throngs of royal mourners in central London on my way to a smaller gathering, just yards away, outside New Scotland Yard. The demo was to protest at the police shooting of an unarmed 24-year-old Black man, Chris Kaba. As we stood there, listening to the heartache of Kaba’s bereaved family and friends, along with relatives of some of the 1,833 people who have died after contact with the police in England and Wales in the past 32 years, a woman stalked past and shouted, “Someone’s mother has died.”

It was a moment so surreal, the violence – and I don’t use that word lightly – of it so shocking, it was hard to fully comprehend. The sentiment, so often silent had been uttered, loud and clear. One life is not equal to another. To live in a country governed by royalty means fealty not just in deed but in thought. It means a commitment – often unconscious – to preserving inequity. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back