Decent not very expensive mic (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
I'm really in the dark about this stuff, and am used to just borrowing what's available (or just using bog-standard mp3 recorders for stuff that's only for print and will only ever be heard by me), but I want my own gear.

I kind of only do voice, but I like to collect sounds a little bit as well. Or one of the things I want to do will involve collecting some sounds.

I don't have a lot of money, but I'm looking for the sort of thing that would be a 'starter investment'. As in, not too crazy expensive, but not a throwaway piece of crap. I want it to last a while.

Ok. I'll stop posting threads that are all pretty much about the same thing now.

WHAT ABOUT THE MICROPHONE'S CHOICE?

At first I'd be plugging it into a minidisc recorder, and then into a WAV recorder once I can get one.

Where should I go for a mic? I don't even know where to start here.

No worries about the mails, dude. I'm just coming down from the most insane month ever. I think I actually worked at least one 100-hour week, but I stopped counting when I stopped sleeping, and found I was attempting to work in my sleep. It was just plain nutty.

But you'll be pleased to know that I FINALLY finished the series. It's not perfect, but it's done. And it's a start, and it gave me a serious hunger for radio documentaries. I want to make a zillion of them. I learned a hell of a lot so now I want to use all the shit I learned to make more.

What's your budget?
Have you looked on Thomann.de?

Whereas a mono directional mic would suit better for spoken word, a stereo and / or omni mic would be better for atmospheric sounds.

Tell us your specific budget and I'm sure someone can recommend something. One man's "not very expensive" is another mans.......something something.

If possible, I'd rather not spend more than 100 squids. I'm also going to the US next week, so I can probably get something cheaper there. I just don't have a clue where to go for stuff like this.

I feel dumb and lost. That's nothing new, of course, I just feel dumber and even MORE lost than usual.

This is a really nice stereo condenser:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_technica_pro_24.htm

Bought a bunch of them for the college this year for our radio location recording; nice robust sound, good room ambiance for interviews etc. They take a little watch battery for power. It's a nice mic for interviews and field recording...

Cool, thanks so much! That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Do you know how long Thomann take to ship? As in, what are the chances something ordered today would be here by Monday?

This is a really nice stereo condenser:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_technica_pro_24.htm

Bought a bunch of them for the college this year for our radio location recording; nice robust sound, good room ambiance for interviews etc. They take a little watch battery for power. It's a nice mic for interviews and field recording...

I was going to suggest something like that.
I have a similar sony stereo mic, that I used to record live shows onto mini disc. Sounded deadly.

Jane, you can have a borrow of mine. I hardly ever use it.

what's the documentary on, Jane? :)

this thread has made me realise I don't have an effin clue where my microphone is....eek.

Stupid question but - do most radio stations still use minidiscs? Just cos I haven't done radio stuff for an age but want to get back into it, and I still have my minidisc player (and possibly that microphone, if I find it...) so it would be good to know.

Hope you find a good mic that suits!

what's the documentary on, Jane? :)

this thread has made me realise I don't have an effin clue where my microphone is....eek.

Stupid question but - do most radio stations still use minidiscs? Just cos I haven't done radio stuff for an age but want to get back into it, and I still have my minidisc player (and possibly that microphone, if I find it...) so it would be good to know.

Hope you find a good mic that suits!

The doc is on some stuff about Dublin. Bits of it are okay (especially the bits with Thumped people in them), like a segment on the radio museum and touching the dead people in St Michan's, but I wouldn't go blabbing to everyone to listen to it because I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out. :( I made a lot of mistakes that I wouldn't repeat, even if it's too late to undo them.

Some stations still use the minidiscs, partly because it's kind of an easier and cheaper setup. I am going to get a WAV recorder eventually. Possibly soon. Probably soon.

that sounds really interesting! Will it be broadcast? Don't worry, doc making is a learning curve, I'm sure you did way better than you think. :)

It will be broadcast, I just don't know when. I can send you a few segments via email if you like. You still at the same gmail address?

It's a huge learning curve, that's for sure. I just hope I didn't bollox it up completely, more for the sake of the people who took the time to be interviewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back