dealing with metal bands (1 Viewer)

Daniel

Website
www.myspace.com
Maybe some things should be kept private but in all fairness.....

(from Jason Putref)
> ''we,d be bringing our own gear and supplying the
> support slots as well regarding galway,if anything
> it,d most likely be a fixed 3 band bill for all
> gigs,saves grief with set changes every night,email
> me
> at and we,ll see if galway
> can happen as i,ve questions i need answered before
> anything is set in concrete.''

> From: dan hielscher <>
> To:
> Subject: galway
> Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:27:46 +0100 (BST)
>
>
> Hi Jason, Daniel here in galway. You said you had
> some questions. From my experience of organising
> gigs, bills with no local acts have always done
> poorly so i would strongly advise/insist that a
> local
> band plays as well. I supply a PA and if ye dont
> have
> room i can supply cabs and an alright bass amp as
> well. I usually have floor space for a few people,
> bring sleeping bags. I play in some metal and
> hardcore bands as well so i may be looking for a
> return favour at some stage.
> daniel

--- jason putrefy <> wrote:
> daniel
> alright there,right,i,ll tell u what the
> deal is,money wise we need
> 200 euro per show as we have expenses,van
> hire,driver,fuel,food,p.a. we need
> to deliver our set is around 1.5 k as we use
> triggers and have 2 vocals,a
> small p.a. isnt enough as triggers have to be loud
> enough to cut through,we
> bring our own cabs and shit,if a local band would be
> playing i would be
> picking them as i want the gigs to be strong bills
> for every gig,u said that
> if there was no local band playing the gig could be
> poorly attended,putrefy
> is well known all ireland and beyond,after all u
> left a message on
> metalireland about a galway gig so u know who we
> are,but the main important
> thing is our fee and backiline,we dont play for
> petrol money anymore,havent
> done it for a long time now,if anything i cut our
> fee down as its gonna 3
> gigs across the south,anyway get back to me and
> we,llsee if anything will
> happen but the cash and p.a.thing is the main
> factors.
>
>
> jason
>
>

(From Daniel)
Forget about it, i've been putting on gigs for over 5 years for all types of bands, big and small and i have never had to deal with this kind of stuff. 1.5 k rig? Come on. All this for a band i have never heard is too much. Sorry. There are plenty of bands out there who would appreciate the gig and not ask for anything.
Daniel

Let me know if yer ever available for a gig under the circumstances i suggested and we'll work something out.

>
>
>

Saw the beginnings of that on metalireland yesterday on the thread you replied on, I had a feeling it was going to pan out something similar to that Dan

2 cool 2 dance said:
the bit about picking their own support pisses me off the most.

.|..| me arse

i love that. you should do that zine thing you were on about with all the demands and shit from bands over the years. p.s. ive got that 2k rig you requested for running riot on friday. im working on the brown m n m's! :)

edit: their drummer uses triggeres. ha! what a fuckin nancy. i bet he wears fingerless studded leather gloves too! i havent laughed this much in ages.

!bing lets start a sticky where all these bands can be exposed! i fuckin love it!!!!

Haha, putrefy is well known all Ireland and beyond, hahaha! Big fuckin deal!
I have to say that my impression of the metal scene is that in a lot of ways it is geared towards eventual economic 'success', and that a lot of metal bands promote themselves towards this aim. I reckon it is this attitude which leads certain people to develop wankerish bigheaded attitudes, but unfortunately this seems to me to be widely accepted in the metal scene with no real effort being made to change it. Essentially, the metal scene seems geared towards 'professionalism' and 'making a name' rather than towards having fun and enjoying yourself, which is what music should be about. Of course I am generalising here but that is the overall impression I have of the metal scene in Ireland. Certainly this seems to be the case here.
In fairness though, I remember playing a gig with Putrefy in Ballymoney about 3 years ago, and they were pretty fuckin good. That's not an excuse to act like a dick though.

Defintitely very big line between hardcore/punk and metal.

A metal label once spend $50 to FedEx!!! me a 3 track album sampler!!

Cormcolash said:
Haha, putrefy is well known all Ireland and beyond, hahaha! Big fuckin deal!
I have to say that my impression of the metal scene is that in a lot of ways it is geared towards eventual economic 'success', and that a lot of metal bands promote themselves towards this aim. I reckon it is this attitude which leads certain people to develop wankerish bigheaded attitudes, but unfortunately this seems to me to be widely accepted in the metal scene with no real effort being made to change it. Essentially, the metal scene seems geared towards 'professionalism' and 'making a name' rather than towards having fun and enjoying yourself, which is what music should be about. Of course I am generalising here but that is the overall impression I have of the metal scene in Ireland. Certainly this seems to be the case here.
In fairness though, I remember playing a gig with Putrefy in Ballymoney about 3 years ago, and they were pretty fuckin good. That's not an excuse to act like a dick though.

Not yet, i'll keep ye posted.

Its very tempting to go through my e-mails and dig up all that kind of stuff from over the years. Anyone else got anything like that?

I remember conor nelligan booking the dropkicks the first time they came to cork and the rider being mad, with all special bottles of water, showers at the venue etc etc. I mean, they played in a fuckin flea pit. Great gig though. Similar when lagwagon came, though that was fairly basic stuff like food. Fair fucks to conor though, argued into getting us and section 8 on the bill. Rawk.

They just sent it to get it reviewed, to make it worse the actual album was out too, but they didn't send that for review!! its was a NYHC band, can't remember who exactly, but i do remember them parting ways with the label pretty soon after the album came out!!

Cormcolash said:
Haha, what the fuck did they think you're some big distributor or something?

2 cool 2 dance said:
Not yet, i'll keep ye posted.

Its very tempting to go through my e-mails and dig up all that kind of stuff from over the years. Anyone else got anything like that?

The things wanted €400 for gig in richardsons a year ago. Thats all i got. maybe im not at it long enough to have encountered wankers yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back