Dead Man's Bones (1 Viewer)

I don't know, I mean I don't really care what bands they listen to as long as I enjoy listening to them. I like pretty much all of the bands/artists they listed as obvious or as "credible" as they may be, and I'd be willing to wager that the reason RyGo and his less famous but no less talented, I'm sure bandmate put them down as their influences is because they are... well, influenced by them, enjoy listening to them also and generally didn't think too much about the extent to which their names in a seperated by commas sequence on a band blurb would cause a favourable/outrageous reaction. And if they did then they are no more guilty of doing so than anyone else on the planet that makes music and fills out that section on myspace because everyone thinks about how they want to appear etc. If what they're guilty of is not choosing shit bands to be influenced by then I am confused as to why that would make anyone more credible than the next. And if not shit bands then perhaps less obvious ones? I reckon obvious influences are obvious because they're good enough to influence a great deal of the music making population.

What really annoys me, and I'm being a raging hypocrite given my text above, are artists who put literary top trumps in their influence section. I don't know why but I can't get behind that.

Fair enough. I'm not totally that

bit of doo-wop and artists such as The Shangri-Las, The Shags, The Cure, Company Flow, Sam Cooke, The Misfits, James Brown, Bobby Vinton, Joy Division, The Andrew Sisters and Daniel Johnston,

Necessarily adds up to this though I mean I like those bands except The Misfits and I'm not hanging around a girls school hiring a choir. Maybe it needs that sprig of Misfit to add up to that.

What makes up acceptable/inacceptable influences in your opinion? Or is it just that they've hit upon the secret formula which makes you flustered?

I don't know, I mean I don't really care what bands they listen to as long as I enjoy listening to them.

yes of course

I like pretty much all of the bands/artists they listed as obvious or as "credible" as they may be
as do I

And if they did then they are no more guilty of doing so than anyone else on the planet that makes music and fills out that section on myspace because everyone thinks about how they want to appear etc.
this appeared to be a press release, they might not have even written it. Maybe I just hate press releases?

If what they're guilty of is not choosing shit bands to be influenced by then I am confused as to why that would make anyone more credible than the next. And if not shit bands then perhaps less obvious ones? I reckon obvious influences are obvious because they're good enough to influence a great deal of the music making population.
obvious influences are obvious and don't need to be said

What makes up acceptable/inacceptable influences in your opinion?

to have even one influence that people who read Mojo might object to.

Or is it just that they've hit upon the secret formula which makes you flustered?
uh, maybe. No one would look at that list and go 'they're influenced by that band? Bunch of tossers, not gonna listen.'

It reminds me of a certain type of person my age who listens to Johnny Cash, Arcade Fire and, I dunno, started watching Mad Men last year and loves to hear the sound of their own voices as they waffle on about how fucking cultured they are. People who just buy best ofs in every genre or download entire discographies but never listen to them. Who don't care about art and don't care about new ideas but wow, I'm really into 60's soul at the moment. I have literally never had an idea of my own in my entire life, life is too short to think about things or take any kind of personal responsibility for....... er....

jesus, this is really bringing out the worst in me, i'm gonna have to leave it while I go have a breakdown somewhere

Dear everyone,

sorry about that. I love you all and Ryan Gosling's band, Dead Man's Bones, make some fine music indeed.

your friend,

John

yes of course

as do I

this appeared to be a press release, they might not have even written it. Maybe I just hate press releases?

obvious influences are obvious and don't need to be said

to have even one influence that people who read Mojo might object to.

uh, maybe. No one would look at that list and go 'they're influenced by that band? Bunch of tossers, not gonna listen.'

It reminds me of a certain type of person my age who listens to Johnny Cash, Arcade Fire and, I dunno, started watching Mad Men last year and loves to hear the sound of their own voices as they waffle on about how fucking cultured they are. People who just buy best ofs in every genre or download entire discographies but never listen to them. Who don't care about art and don't care about new ideas but wow, I'm really into 60's soul at the moment. I have literally never had an idea of my own in my entire life, life is too short to think about things or take any kind of personal responsibility for....... er....

jesus, this is really bringing out the worst in me, i'm gonna have to leave it while I go have a breakdown somewhere

I know what you're trying to say, I Is John.

Hey, did I tell you I've been listening to those Ghanaian and Nigerian Afrobeat/Highlife compilations recently? Amazing, truly amazing joyful music.
That and Beach House.

I know what you're trying to say, I Is John.

Hey, did I tell you I've been listening to those Ghanaian and Nigerian Afrobeat/Highlife compilations recently? Amazing, truly amazing joyful music.
That and Beach House.

I hate everyone else and I want to die

I like that you care enough about it to get this worked up. Shows a strength of character. And I do understand what you're saying even if I don't... well I agree with it, but I think its somewhat shortsighted at the same time, because there are people who can feel really passionate and strongly about those sorts of bands, I don't think the fact that they dwell in the overwhelming majority necessarily lessens that. That said there are FAR MORE of the kinds of people you're talking about. I just like people to really think about things, whether its a favourable reaction or otherwise, it doesn't really matter to me what it is that gets them going as long as they get going... uh.

Sorry, I never said I didn't like it. It's just the choice of influences couldn't be any more safe and that irks me.

Influences : Stuff Zach Braff would approve of
fuckin zach braff
i'm sure i've shared this before but i once had to share the back seat of a car for two hours with an american girl who described zach braff as 'kind of a genius'

I am the living embodiment of washingcattles worst fear. No? Fabulous.

She was kind of a spa. Just saying.

I know Jonah's from Meath I've chosen to ignore that though. She posts great horns so therefore has overcome her disability and is fit to enter polite society. we'll start her in Clondalkin then move her eventually to Clontarf. like my fair lady but with shitty student accomodation, storage heating and the 51b.

I'd be offended if I wasn't slightly excited by this. Though Clondalkin scares me. I've lived in Fairview, is that considered equally hoodish?

Maybe the East Wall, Fairview is pretty pedestrian in my experience, especially in comparison to Clondalkin.

Not quite East Wall but I did live beside some friendly drug dealers. Clondalkin is deceptively nice looking though isn't it? I have a friend living there and I didn't really understand the hype for a while until she showed me the dodgier areas. Liffey Valley, now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back