FOREVER proudly presents

DAVID GRUBBS (Drag City/US)
plus guest
Sat. January 24th, 2009
Whelans, Dublin
Tickets: €15.00 inc booking fee
Doors: 7.30pm
Available from: www.tickets.ie (no service charge) and www.ticketmaster.ie

We're delighted to announce this performance from one of Americas true musical personalities. David Grubbs (Bastro/Squirrel Bait/Gastr Del Sol) has a long, rich association with innovation and this show will see him performing select tracks from his new album 'An Optimist Notes The Dusk' which is out now on Drag City.

David Grubbs , guitarist, pianist, and vocalist, was a founding member of Squirrel Bait, Bastro, and Gastr del Sol. He has also played in The Red Krayola and The Wingdale Community Singers.

Squirrel Bait was a 1980s Louisville, Kentucky punk rock group that released a 12' EP and an album on Homestead Records. Grubbs's next group was Bastro, which released two albums on Homestead. In 1991 Bastro morphed into the more avant-garde Gastr del Sol. This project soon became essentially a partnership between Grubbs and Jim O'Rourke. The albums released by the duo (including Crookt, Crackt, or Fly, Upgrade & Afterlife, and Camoufleur) have been described as a visionary and theoretical deconstruction of the songwriting process.[citation needed]

Since the partnership's breakup in 1997, Grubbs has released numerous solo and collaborative records, mostly on the Drag City label. In 2000, his album The Spectrum Between was named “Album of the Year” in the London Sunday Times. He operates his own label, Blue Chopsticks, which has released both new and archival recordings from Luc Ferrari, Derek Bailey and Noël Akchoté, Workshop, Van Oehlen, and Mats Gustafsson. He has appeared on recordings by Tony Conrad, Matmos, Palace Music, Pauline Oliveros, and many more. Grubbs is also known for his collaborations with writers Susan Howe, Rick Moody, and Kenneth Goldsmith as well as with visual artists including Anthony McCall, Angela Bulloch, Stephen Prina, and Cosima von Bonin.

Grubbs's soundtrack work includes music with Matmos for Thierry Jousse's feature film Les Invisibles. He has composed the soundtracks for Angela Bulloch's installations Z Point and Horizontal Technicolour, and his music appears in two installations by Doug Aitken. Grubbs's sound installation “Between a Raven and a Writing Desk” was included in the 1999 group exhibition “Elysian Fields” at the Centre Pompidou. Grubbs has also contributed music to the Red Krayola's soundtrack to Norman and Bruce Yonemoto's film Japan in Paris in LA as well as to Augusto Contento's film Strade Trasparenti, Braden King and Laura Moya's film Dutch Harbor: Where the Sea Breaks its Back, and John Boskovich's film North. Music by Gastr del Sol appears in the P.B.S. television series The United States of Poetry, Hal Hartley's film The Book of Life, and Doug Aitken's film The Diamond Sea. Grubbs composed music for Karl Bruckmaier's radio adaptation of Peter Weiss's Die Ästhetik des Widerstands, which was named “Hoerbuch des Jahres 2007” (Audio Book of the Year) by Hessischer Rundfunk.

www.myspace.com/davidgrubbsbluechopsticks
www.foreverpresents.ie

I've really lost touch with his last few albums - think the last one I had was that Wingdale Community Singers.

It's been said before; I'm saying it again - he blew the International apart the last time he played.

Miss him at your peril, etc,.

cool. only have a few gastr del sol albums. ahat grubbs stuff should i check out for this?

cool. only have a few gastr del sol albums. ahat grubbs stuff should i check out for this?

The new record An Optimist Notes The Dusk sounds a bit more like Gastr Del Sol to me, veering to the abstract side of his songwriting. For a listen to the poppier side of his work check out The Spectrum Between or A Guess At The Riddle. The sound and feel Jim O'Rourke achieved on Halfway To a Threeway is probably a good reference for these two records. I saw him in Whelans a few years back and he's a very accomplished performer live, good fun too.

That clip is the definition of Grubbsian perfection.

The landscape did a swimmer,
A momentary glimmer

This has to be the best gig on in Dublin in an age.

Go be dazzled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back