darwin's nightmare! (1 Viewer)

skubol

A heartbreakingly great film.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

MV5BMTk0NjY4NTI4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTA0ODU0MQ@@._V1._SX284_SY400_.jpg

torrent:
http://www.mininova.org/get/2585937

Some time in the 1960's, in the heart of Africa, a new animal was introduced into Lake Victoria as a little scientific experiment. The Nile Perch, a voracious predator, extinguished almost the entire stock of the native fish species. However, the new fish multiplied so fast, that its white fillets are today exported all around the world.
Huge hulking ex-Soviet cargo planes come daily to collect the latest catch in exchange for their southbound cargo… Kalashnikovs and ammunitions for the uncounted wars in the dark center of the continent.
spacer.gif

This booming multinational industry of fish and weapons has created an ungodly globalized alliance on the shores of the world’s biggest tropical lake: an army of local fishermen, World bank agents, homeless children, African ministers, EU-commissioners, Tanzanian prostitutes and Russian pilots.
The idea of this film was born during my research on another documentary, KISANGANI DIARY that follows Rwandese refugees in the midst of the Congolese rebellion. In 1997, I witnessed for the first time the bizarre juxtaposition of two gigantic airplanes, both bursting with food. The first cargo jet brought 45 tons of yellow peas from America to feed the refugees in the nearby UN camps. The second plane took off for the European Union, weight with 50 tons of fresh fish.
I met the Russian pilots and we became "kamarads". But soon it turned out that the rescue planes with yellow peas also carried arms to the same destinations, so that the same refugees that were benefiting from the yellow peas could be shot at later during the nights.
In the mornings, my trembling camera saw in this stinking jungle destroyed camps and bodies. First hand knowledge of the story of such a cynical reality became the trigger for DARWIN’S NIGHTMARE, my longest ever cinematographic commitment.

I saw that on tg4 a while back.Fucking heartbreaking is right.Shocking altogether.If I remember correctly I was almost moved to tears.

The film is supposedly: Language: English, Russian, Swahili with engl. subtitles in non-engl. spoken parts so I assume the english subs are burnt in.

Just finished watching it last night, crikey... completely fucked- when yer man was talking about all the business's he has set up- pharmacuetical, coca cola bottling, industrial plastic, pretty much a whats what of fucked!

"Children of Angola receive guns for christmas, children of europe receive grapes"

Probably won't be much agreement on this one, but I'd actually prefer guns, they're cool

hard to know what to say after watching that. fucking hell like.

and if that's not depressing enough, if you want to really plumb
the nadir of humanity, check out the movie's imdb message board.

anyway, powerful movie. thanks for the link.

hard to know what to say after watching that. fucking hell like.

and if that's not depressing enough, if you want to really plumb
the nadir of humanity, check out the movie's imdb message board.

anyway, powerful movie. thanks for the link.

Yeah, THERE ARE NO ANSWERS ANYWAY

"But, having this policy of always giving the director a chance to either create a last-minute surprise effect or to prove himself ridiculous to an unspoken degree, I usually stay - even if I would vote zero for some. "Darwin's Nightmare" had me moving in my seat, sweating, swallowing nonexistent saliva, squeezing my hands into each other, thinking about all and nothing. Two times I simply had to close my eyes, many times I thought I had to get up and go - not that the documentary film was bad. Quite the opposite."

Ehhhh.. don't shoot the messenger.. or the people that sell or buy the tanks or.. ehhh...

http://sharebee.com/74d3acda

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back