Cycling Holiday (1 Viewer)

Can I take this thread on a wee tangent, but a tangent that may be useful to the original poster.

How does one prevent the old knees from getting fucked up when cycling? I currently cycle about 10km a day Monday to Friday and my knees are really sore. I've been wearing a bandage thing (can't think of the proper word!) but I find it really uncomfortable to cycle in. I'm at the stage now where I'm worrying that I may fuck up my knees for life.

Rest it for 4 or 5 five days if at all possible. Obviously it’s not gonna get better if you keep working it. Support bandages are a good idea but they don’t have the magical healing powers that people seem to think they do. I like using Biofreeze or Tiger balm (never both), when I’ve aches and pains, but some people wouldn’t recommend those things. Ask a pharmacist. I can tell you Glucosamine is rather good at strengthening your joints.
All the above should help to stop it hurting, but fundamentally your problem is caused by one of the things with your bike setup that the other guys mentioned, or a knee problem that was already there.

I have horrible knees and I cycle about twice the distance you do mon-fri, but have no knee trouble while cycling. There was a bit of strain on the ligaments above the knee when I started but that went away as I got used to it.

Best O'Luck.

petethedrummer,
I too did the france cycle, think dunch covered all the tips, we were supposed to write a zine about it including great stuff to cook in one saucepan... never happened..
You'll eat shitloads so leave room in your panniers. Don't overpack clothes, wash stuff as you go. One of the teeny pack towels can come in handy.
Don't forget your chainbreaker :eek: Bring a spare tube.

I did a short (3 days) cycle in cork and kerry there a few weeks ago, it was amazing. Actually one of the best holidays ever, felt like I'd been gone weeks, I'd definitely recommend it!!

We went from Killarney thru the gap of Duloe to kenmare, on to Glengarriff, Banty, Ballydehob and Skibereen.
Mountaintastic, not for the faint hearted, but the most amazing views and forests and sea, so beautiful!

Would have loved to go around all the peninsulas there but we didn't have time. Bus drivers were really sound about the bikes on busses, not like from Dublin. It was easy enough to find campsites, one pretty hilarious one in Kenamre, it's someone's garden actually and the shower is in her house...

Can I take this thread on a wee tangent, but a tangent that may be useful to the original poster.

How does one prevent the old knees from getting fucked up when cycling? I currently cycle about 10km a day Monday to Friday and my knees are really sore. I've been wearing a bandage thing (can't think of the proper word!) but I find it really uncomfortable to cycle in. I'm at the stage now where I'm worrying that I may fuck up my knees for life.

all good tips above.

if it's the same injury i got from grinding hard gears then the problem isn't actually in the knee, it only manifests itself there. what happened to me was that my leg muscles above and below the knees got over-worked and tight. i think what happens is that your muscles reach a stage where they are working too fast for your blood to be able to supply them with oxygen so they start burning carbon dioxide, which produces acids or some shit that builds up inside your muscles making them tight. then they under-perform and so rely on the knees to take up the slack. then your knees are over worked and get sore.

good hard leg massages, really hot baths with epsom salts, and drinking loads of water in between sorted me out.

for tips on cycle positioning and posture related pain check out:
http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

that sheldon.com website is fukn brilliant- im just printing off all the pages on cycling and pain right now.
i get really bad shoulder pain cycling- loads of great tips which might hopefully help.

also taken notes from alot of advice others have given.
cheers .|..|

i have a plastic thing on my bike that attaches under the saddle. it costs bout 1.50 and makes cars go about a foot extra out. you can get it in most bike shops, havent a clue what its called though. i got mine in lucan

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back