currently reading? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 172
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 8
snakybus said:
me I'm reading Goodbye Columbus by Philip Roth and it's good so far
have you read American Pastoral? one of my favourite books ever.

at the moment, strangely enough, i'm not reading anything. probably because i have exams, which kind of kill my reading impulses (i was up at 7.30 this morning reading chaucer for today's exam)
The last things i attempted and then had to put away in favour of studying were
george orwell - 1984 (for about the 5th time and it gets better every time)
mary wollstonecraft - a vindication of the rights of women (she didn't have to spell it wimmyn, neither do you)
and the aforementioned philip roth book, for the second time.

I is reading vernon god little at the moment, too early to say what I think because I only started it on the bus this morning.
Just finished the star of the sea by joseph o'connor, who I very much like as a writer. Before that, annie proulx's that old ace in the hole, which is an enjoyable read but not her best. Before that some load of shite called making love which was in the 3 for 2's in waterstones and was such a load of bollix I couldn't finish it. All the above interspersed with the sunday papers and last weeks heat and now.

Just finished reading the Da Vinci code by Dan Brown. It's rad
I even went hunting on the internet to see if the 'apostle' to the right of J.C. in Vinci's 'the last supper' was, in fact, a girl. An low and behold, it is.

Currently I'm reading 'A phase Vocoder Model of the Glottis for Expressive Voice Synthesis' but thats not realyl a storybook

nuffield council on bioethics 'animal-to-human transplants - the ethics of xenotransplantation'

currently reading:

"Waiting Period" by Hughbert Selby Jnr (pretty disappointing actually)
"Women" by Bukowski (for the 4th time, cos its so fucked)

snakybus said:
American Pastoral is like the fourth next on my list of good shit to read! :)
i say hooray for doing a college course that gets you to read philip roth and sylvia plath and the like. i'd probably never have read half my favourite books if it wasn't for college. what's that other roth book you were talking about like?

incidentally everyone has to read 'the blank slate' by steven pinker, because it's the rules, and you live by the rules. my rules.

shut up you
her poetry's amazing
the bell jar i could take or leave like but she totally has a way with words in the pomes- some of the most awesome imagery ever

right, i'll be in cork on friday - you, me and the biggest books we can find, with the sharpest corners. may the most literary man win.

I don't know if men get her to be fair - in the same way most women don't particularly get off on reading miller and bukowski. I'm just not into reading about dripping gees of a morning commute.

ya i agree actually... i cant imagine many women getting much out of bukowski because the man was so blatantly sexist... but i dont think it's the same with Plath. I reckon plenty of men could get something from her poetry.

If they have shit taste like.

(im just joshin liadain)

BUT.......... this friday liadain, you and me, Hughes versus Plath in the illest poetic throwdown of all time. bring it on.

Cryptonomicon is great. All Neal Stephenson's stuff is class. Currently, i'm halfway thru Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (v. good so far), my notes on Classical Simulations and Stochastic Methods, and this thread. Gripping stuff.

kirstie said:
I don't know if men get her to be fair - in the same way most women don't particularly get off on reading miller
Happily, I know one who does
Richie - Cancer Ward is fiction, yep, but I think it's very much based on Solzers' own experience of cancer. Just the story of one guy's time in a cancer ward, plus lots about all the other people in the ward at the same time - a broad cross-section of Russian society at the time. Perfect reading for anyone who reads books in order to meet interesting people

stephen pinker is great, I like all that shit

he's got not cool Brian May hair too

Goodbye Columbus is good so far. I like Roth, Portnoy's Complaint was a scream

I notice some modern American writers tend to quite samey. Don Delillo, Roth, those guys. Not a bad thing though

euumph! we're a book club in here, leurvely

Liadain said:
i say hooray for doing a college course that gets you to read philip roth and sylvia plath and the like. i'd probably never have read half my favourite books if it wasn't for college. what's that other roth book you were talking about like?

incidentally everyone has to read 'the blank slate' by steven pinker, because it's the rules, and you live by the rules. my rules.

Liadain said:
haven't read that, but i did recently read 'the language instinct' and 'how the mind works'.

my flatmates have actually started laughing at me when i mention evolution, cos i started going on about the stuff in the book so much. it's really great to have a handle on these things though.

on the same theme: 'the blind watchmaker' by richard dawkins. totally the most rocking neo-darwinist book of the decade, peeps.

present reading: 'austerlitz' by w.g. sebald. fucking heavy to read, but i'm determined to finish it. his essay stuff in 'on the natural history of destruction' is great.

the language instinct and how the mind works are also great (another example of hooray for college - they show up on most of my linguistics essays bibliographies) if you liked both of them you should definitely read the blank slate. i read a bit of the blind watchmaker but got distracted and never finished it - really liked what i did read though. and i bought austerlitz for my ma before - maybe i'll steal it off her when i go home

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back