Cuba (1 Viewer)

heading at the weekend, any tips on things to see/do/avoid?

How long for?
I'd try and go to Trinidad if you can make it.
Wasn't as keen on Santiago.
Careful talking to the locals for fear of getting them in trouble, though they'll be the ones being careful, prolly.
Stay the fck clear of Varadero. Was encouraged by one of our Casas to see the place. Its tourist hell.

Dixer is right Dudley. Varadero is a dump. A dump like any tourist resort is a dump though. No better or worse than those anywhere else in the world ...

You going to travel around? You should ....

Havana is great though. And close to Varadero ...

And, oh yeah, the food is crap.

And, oh yeah, the food is crap.

Amen.
Some of the Casas were good for the foodin' though.
If you do make it to Trinidad try Sol y Son. Good eatin'.
I can probably recommend a decent Casa down there too if you look like yr gonna make it, cant remember the name off hand.

we're resorting it to the max!

will get to havana, but for once want a holiday where i do nothing but sit on a beach and get brought booze.

Should be grand then. Just don't come back telling us Cuba was crap when you didn't actually see any of it, okay?

going to cuba for just over 2 weeks in june, anyone got any ideas for 7 days resorty stuff and rest just looking at country etc. is varadero only resort option or is there more?

thanks
richard

Varadero is pretty horrible .... let me get back to you about this later ...

why would you want to go all the way to cuba just to sit in a resort? one of the last functioning communist places in the world with a crazy history and cool architecture and great music and high idealism and big cigars and real live secret police oppression and sexy ladies and a missile crisis or two? why not just go to mallorca?

cool thanks, one other thing do you get a visa with the plane tickets/flying or do you need to apply separately yourself?

As far as I remember you get it with the plane tickets.

Yeah anyway, Varadero is really horrible. I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to chill out and lie on a beach there are other places you can go to do that. For example, there are some beach resorts very near Trinidad that are a lot less horrible than Varadero. There are other options but they may not be as easily bookable from here as Varadero. Anywhere but Varadero would be my advice!

As far as I remember you get it with the plane tickets.

Yeah anyway, Varadero is really horrible. I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to chill out and lie on a beach there are other places you can go to do that. For example, there are some beach resorts very near Trinidad that are a lot less horrible than Varadero. There are other options but they may not be as easily bookable from here as Varadero. Anywhere but Varadero would be my advice!

cool thanks, having a look at Trinidad and Cayo Santa Maria, is it easy to drive from Havana to Trinidad/Cayo Santa Maria??? has anyone rented a car in cuba??? various sites say to not drive at night so as to avoid the drunk drivers!!! :eek::eek::eek:

cool thanks, having a look at Trinidad and Cayo Santa Maria, is it easy to drive from Havana to Trinidad/Cayo Santa Maria??? has anyone rented a car in cuba??? various sites say to not drive at night so as to avoid the drunk drivers!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Sure you'd be missing half the fun.

Never drove there but I imagine it would be fine. The roads are good. I think you may be expected to pick up hitchikers if you are driving. You see a lot of people standing by the side of the road waiting for lifts ..... I would get a decent map though .. there aren't a lot of signposts.

Not driving at night advice applies to a lot of places, mostly because there is shag all street lights so you can't see anything. You could easily run into someone at night by accident so it's probably best avoided all right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back