croatia (1 Viewer)

Ja, went for a week last October to Dubrovnik. October may not be the best time to go becuase the weather isn't too great and the season is winding down in a big way. Which we didn't really mind because we were knackered and just needed a break.

We found Dubrovnik to be absolutely gorgeous, just spectacular, but far too small for a week, we were bored after a few days. We also found the Croats to be really, really rude. It's not as cheap food and drink wise as it was, but the local beer is yum yum yum and there's a lot of seafood in the restaurants which I liked. Not much in the way of shopping in Dubrovnik, and once you've done the sights..well, you've done the sights.

I know other people on here have been and had an amazing time. I think the time of year we went had a lot to do with our experience of it - we got no real beach action because of the weather (which was half warm and sunny and half rainy) and a lot of stuff which I'd imagine is open in the summer was closed. I would go to Croatia again, but possibly a different part of it. And if I was to go back to Dubrovnik, it would only be for a couple of days cos that would be enough.

Oh and we went with Croatia Travel, they're on Eden quay. Aer Lingus flies direct too.

croatia is beautiful.
rent a boat if you know how to use them

other than that dubrovnik is a must see town.
lopud is lovely quiet small little island
miljet is nice too or an oul walk around the nature preserve
its all nice.
nEiLo said:
who's been?

where should i go?

how?

etc etc etc

thanks folks
n

Myself and the missus went to Croatia on honeymoon in 2002

Flight over was shitty – delayed takeoff then a forced landing in Split because of a cabin crew dispute about overtime. We were there from 4AM to 7AM and then were flown to Dubrovnik which took 15 minutes.
We were staying in Hotel Croatia which was located in Cavtat, about 20 miles from Dubrovnik [but only 6 from Dubrovnik airport]
Great hotel , luxurious, half board. We ate evening meal there about 50% of the time. Reasonably good food.
No sand there. Stony beaches. Lost the wedding ring after two days while swimming.

Almost wonderful weather - thunder and lightning for two days.

A beautiful country. We went into Dubrovnik four evenings by water taxi [boat]. It’s spectacular and remarkably well-preserved after the recent conflict

Food wise – restaurants are not wonderful – just average although the fresh fish is great.
Cheap though as is the drink. Euro widely accepted. Local currency is the Kuna €1 = Kuna 7
Found most people very friendly.
We probably should have done more travelling around as we didn’t see that much of the country. Had a maniac taxi ride too - from Dubrovnik to the hotel one night during a storm - water taxi couldn't bring us back.

Crap record shops but.

Overall I would recommend it.

went there as a youngster in 91. very nice place, despite the threat of imminent destruction. there was nice food then too. the local wine was recommended. walking in the countryside was nice. boat trips to the larger islands and canoeing down some river near split. it was all good, except for the evacuation.

Oh yes, and the OTHER thing about Croatia which I will never forgive it is that it was the first place I heard Crazy Frog. We were agog with Crazy Frog on German MTV every 4 minutes, came home amazed / horrified by such a thing and about a week later...Bbaaaaaddeenannaneernennenrn

aaaaarrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was in Dubrovnik in 2003, and spent a few days on Hvar island. it is worth checking the islands out:

Was in Alghero, North West coast of Sardinia, for a week last summer and it was great, would defo go back. Really nice beaches, food (Pizza by the Metre!), beer etc.

Dubrovnik

Hotel Neptun http://www.hotel-neptun.hr/

Friendly staff, swimming pool, air conditioned rooms (you have to ask)

Buses every 15minutes to Old Town where there are nice restaurants, cobblestones alleyways etc.

Restaurants in Dubrovnik http://web.tzdubrovnik.hr/restaurants.shtml

Proto – Traditional
The Old Town
Address: Široka ulica 1
Phone: 385 20 323 234

Domino - Steakhouse
The Old Town
Address: Od Domina 6
Phone: 385 20 323 103

Defne – Rooftop Mediterranean restaurant in 5star Hotel
The Old Town
Address: Od Puča 1
Phone: 385 20 326 222

Hvar

Hotel Pharia - Hvar http://www.orvas-hotels.com/pgs/en/aph_pharia.htm
00385 21 569-833

Restaurants in Hvar

Ristorante Luna – Traditional / Seafood
Restaurant Alviz – Pizzeria / Seafood

Islands

Mljet– nice for a day trip, monastery on island.
Korchula – 3 hours from Dubrovnik on ferry
Hvar - 6 Hours by Ferry from the Port in Dubrovnik.

dubrovnik=boring
split=more citylike, more gong on, better, dirtier, lots of ferries to islands
hvar island=amazing

i could go on but im lazy. The national park with the waterfalls was lovely too...

oh and dont miss your flight like I did, theres only 2 a week to ireland. And they close the airport, sleeping in ditches isnt as fun as it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back