-crisp reviews- (1 Viewer)

i'd fucking murder a bag of o'donnells cheese & onion right now but the local shop closes in about 15 seconds.

Eating a packet of S&V now, I don't seem to be able to purchase either of the other two flavours. The salt n vinegar are just the tits, this pack is especially the tits. 10/10

pipers-sweet-chilli-600x600.jpg

Wouldn't be quick to hop on the old Sweet Chilli wagon but these are delish, just destroyed a package there and hoovered the red magic dust off me hands after.

Keogh's cheese & onion are the business. O'Donnells are still top of the pile though. Tayto Bistro C&O also rule.

Truly this is a golden age for the Irish crisp.

ODonnells-crisps-hickory-barbecue.jpg

O'Donnells Hickory Barbeque Crisps

Nice. Like a posh smokey bacon crisp. Still prefer their cheese & onion though.

Walkers Roast Chicken
walkers-roast-chicken-flavour-crisps-case-of-48-bags-6109-p.jpg

The usual Walkers texture which frankly I'm on the fence about, they're too thick to fall into the nice light cheap sandwichable lunch time crisp category and too thin to fall into the oven baked posh treat category. They do taste interesting though. Not over powering but on the other hand they don't taste like chicken. They're okay really but that's all. Not bland and not blow your head off intense but ultimately nothing like chicken so what's the point ?

On the Other Hand

Walkers_Sensations_Roasted_Chicken_and_Thyme_Flavour_Crisps_150g_2.jpg&w=662&h=1000&zc=1

Walkers Sensations Roast Chicken and Thyme

Taste like a full chicken dinner, great thick texture and an amazing smell. Overpowering after a while but when you're being overpowered by delicious it's all okay. They do taste like chicken, they do tatse like thyme and even a sight hint of lemon in there too. Amazing on sandwiches. On my top 5 crisps ever. You can't get them everywhere though and they only seem to come in big bags. Still a pack of these and a can of Vanilla Coke makes the world seem alright. And also tastes like 2002 which is nice because Ireland qualified for the world cup that year and I met my now girlfriend for the first time. So it's the taste of rides and football. YAY!!!

QWOP433.jpg

One of the great things about moving to a big city is that you come in contact with food you never knew existed. Sure that's fine when it comes to the big stuff like a new way to cook chicken or curried goat something restauranty fine, grand but crisps made from a giant banana ? Yup these are crisps made from plantain.

banana+plantain+for+blog.jpg

That's a plantain there^^^ it's from Nigeria, where..... ahem.... Bananas are just plain bigger.

The crisps are an oddity in themselves. I got the Light chilli flavour which deliver exactly what they say on the pack it's just fried plantain and light chili. The plantain it's self have a light sweet taste and a thick sticky startchy texture. It's great stuff in small doses but get's overpowering very quickly and they get hard to chew like a toffee. Over all take a walk on the wild side get some afro caribbean crisps and give the potato a break for a while. I can't imagine what the other falvours are like because cheese and onion and giant banana just seems rank, though salt and vinegar could be amazing.

Overall it's worth a shot lads.

I'm halfway through a 12 pack of Tayto C&O

Which I bought specifiably to have on the side with C&O sandwiches and a cup of tea.

HEAVEN

My colleague brought a bag of those plantain crisps back from Nigeria recently, they were tasty enough but they were insanely greasy. I sensed that more than one would likely give me a dose of the trots so I had just the one. Fried plantains are nice.

Just had a pack of O'Donnell's cheese & onion

I only buy Irish crisps and like Keoghs the best as they are grown and cooked from potatoes from their own farm, using ingredients sourced from local suppliers. They are great crisps, maybe a little hard.
http://keoghs.ie/keoghs-hand-cooked-crisps/love-our-crisp-flavours.html

As far as I know, nearly all the other leading Irish crisp brands are owned and made by Largo Foods in Meath (Tayto, King, Hunky Dory, Perri etc). They don't actually own the brand O'Donnells but do contract manufacture them. They are all great crisps, especially Tayto and O'Donnells.

http://www.largofoods.ie/

I could NEVER bring myself to buy Walkers, even though they're probably fine...

I only buy Irish crisps and like Keoghs the best as they are grown and cooked from potatoes from their own farm, using ingredients sourced from local suppliers. They are great crisps, maybe a little hard.
http://keoghs.ie/keoghs-hand-cooked-crisps/love-our-crisp-flavours.html

As far as I know, nearly all the other leading Irish crisp brands are owned and made by Largo Foods in Meath (Tayto, King, Hunky Dory, Perri etc). They don't actually own the brand O'Donnells but do contract manufacture them. They are all great crisps, especially Tayto and O'Donnells.

http://www.largofoods.ie/

I could NEVER bring myself to buy Walkers, even though they're probably fine...

That's the exact principal by which I excuse the fact that I won't eat Piella or Saag or Pasta or wait a damn minute

Fuck off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back