Craggy Island vs Rugged Island (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
You couldn't make it up.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A row has broken out between two the residents of Inis Mor and Inis Oirr over an inaugural Father Ted festival next month.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Inis Mor, the largest of the Aran Islands, is planning a three-day 'Friends of Ted' event to mark the ninth anniversary of the death of comic Dermot Morgan, the star of the series.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

However, Inis Oirr, the smallest of the islands, believes it has a bigger claim over Father Ted because local scenes, including the Plassey shipwreck, are shown in the opening scenes of the hit comedy.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Inis Mor has been given an off-season cash injection as dozens of Father Ted fans have rushed to book hotels, hostels and B&Bs for the February 23-25 festival.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]However, one B&B owner on Inis Oirr said: "It's unfair that Inis Mor is cashing in on Father Ted when obviously we have closer links with the show.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Fans and tourists would have come here in the past just to view the Plassey shipwreck. Inis Mor is trying to pull a fast one to be honest and we're not very impressed."[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Friends of Ted event features a bizarre array of themed events associated with the comedy series, such as the Father Jack Cocktail Evening, the Father Dougal Breakfast Movie Charades, the Lovely Girls Contest and Charity Auction and A Song for Europe.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also featured on the bill are the Toilet Duck Comedy Awards, Crazy Golf, Hide A Nun and Seek, Ludo Aerobics, Buckeroo Speed Dating and a Ferrero Rocher Quiz Night.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fancy dress five-aside football will also pit priests against nuns on the island.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The organisers hope to limit the event to 100 lucky fans and a proportion of ticket sales will go towards Croi, the West of Ireland Cardiology Foundation.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Father Ted is set on the fictitious Craggy Island but was shot at various locations in Co Clare such as Ennis, Kilfenora, Ennistymon, and Kilnaboy. The parochial house is at Glenquin, near Kilnaboy. All interior scenes were shot in London.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Father Ted was written by Arthur Mathews and Graham Linehan.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The show won a BAFTA award for Best Comedy in 1996 while Morgan won a BAFTA for Best Actor and McLynn scooped the Best Actress award.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Morgan died aged 45 on February 28 1998 after he suffered a massive heart attack at his home just 24 hours after finishing the recording of the last episode of Father Ted.[/FONT]

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0121/ted.html

Probably the proudest I've been of being Irish in a while. Just brilliant!

I actually recently found a Father Ted book my brother bought me, that Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews wrote in the style of parochial newsletters. Some gems, they have a top 101 priests with a bio on each priest, congratulations to Jim John who came 3rd in the Moate Johnny Depp lookalike contest last Sunday and advertisements such as

THE SAMARITANS
need a drummer
influences vary, phone 0865554432

I near wet meself!

I actually recently found a Father Ted book my brother bought me, that Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews wrote in the style of parochial newsletters. Some gems, they have a top 101 priests with a bio on each priest, congratulations to Jim John who came 3rd in the Moate Johnny Depp lookalike contest last Sunday and advertisements such as

THE SAMARITANS
need a drummer

I near wet meself!

thats a great book,havent read it in years,must try dig it out again.

THE SAMARITANS
need a drummer

I near wet meself!
i adore that book. my favourite bit is the dating agency... "crude drawings accepted in place of photographs. no 'dogs'. no 'jack the lads'."

latest developments in the ted saga

Peace plan for Craggy Island row

The organisers of a Father Ted festival have come up with what they say is an ingenious solution to decide who is the real Craggy Island - a five-a-side football tournament.

One of the organisers, Peter Phillips, said they got a flash of inspiration from an episode featuring the All-Priests Five-a-Side Over-75s Indoor Challenge Football Match. And unlike in the show, the losers won't have to kick any fearsome bent-over bishops.

"We thought they could play each other and the winner could be Craggy Island for 12 months while the runner-up could be Rugged Island, and they could play again next year on a home and away basis," he says.

Mr Phillips, who is from Wales, says he has "some sort of diplomatic immunity" in the territorial dispute between the warring islands.
He says he and three friends from Galway decided last year to have a Father Ted celebration on the last weekend of February, to coincide with the ninth anniversary of the death of Dermot Morgan.

"We decided to find a Craggy Island, bearing in mind that in the show it's an amorphous mass of all the islands off the west coast of Ireland, if you listen to the programme's writers," he says.

"We looked at a couple of islands, and Inis Mor welcomed us with open arms when we were over last November."
Mr Phillips says they have been amazed by the controversy, which saw one Inis Oirr B&B owner accuse Inis Mor of "trying to pull a fast one".

"We didn't think we'd need a transparent bidding process like the Olympics to appease all the islands which didn't get the event," he laughs.
"We only thought it would be half a dozen people at the most - we didn't realise it was going to turn into what it did."

so it seems a welsh man is the root cause of all these problems.
god i hope rte televise that football match.

SHAY NAH FEENA FALLLLLLLLL
AH TAW FWEE GARY ERINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

050814-TheSpecials02.jpg

Setanta Sports probably will... according to a friend of mine they were actually showing Under 12s GAA matches on New Year's Day.

holy god, that's hilarious. My Dad showed me a video once of a Junior football game from some village in he West...the commentator was a local guy in a red bobble hat..It was very Father Ted, but real.
I hope they recreate the carnval/funfair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back