congratulations, mrs. and mr. jane! (1 Viewer)

Like, okay, if some 80 year old auntie sends a card with Mr and Mrs D**** on it, I won't be too bothered, but if someone we both know does it, I would not like it one bit. It's not my name, and I don't want to end up being re-named by other people just because it might feel rude to correct them.

Whever I send card to married friends it's to Mr and Mrs John Smith - my thinking on the matter is you are sending the card to a family now and not to 2 people.

Depending on what I'm sending, for exaple an Christmas cards, I'd say The Smith Family.

I guess my point is people (mad aunties etc.) get very worked up about what is "she" called perhaps "what are they called" is a more sensible question.

congrats jane! good party, lovely cakes!

may your future together be a profiterole filled with fresh cream and topped off with warm dark chocolate sauce.

Could anyone really be this contrary?

christianitychristianbiblicaltrinitystatueoftheblessedvirginmary.jpg

Sorry to resurrect the name thing, but I think it'd be kinda cool to make up your own surname, adopt it for yourself and give that to your kids. Start your own line, y'know?

that would be a cool idea.

For my sproglet ive decided to go the double surname. Babs will be living with me most of the time so it dosnet make sense to give it the dad's name.
I figure the best way will be to give it both and it can decide itself whether it wasnts to drop one. No big deal.

My mum tried to keep her own name when she got married but so many people just presumed that she took my dads name that it was easier to take it rather than explaining to everyone that she hadnt.

Personally i dont see it as a huge deal either way. Its a personal choice.

that would be a cool idea.

For my sproglet ive decided to go the double surname. Babs will be living with me most of the time so it dosnet make sense to give it the dad's name.
I figure the best way will be to give it both and it can decide itself whether it wasnts to drop one. No big deal.

My mum tried to keep her own name when she got married but so many people just presumed that she took my dads name that it was easier to take it rather than explaining to everyone that she hadnt.

Personally i dont see it as a huge deal either way. Its a personal choice.

That sounds like a cool idea. I just worry about bogging a kid down with a huge name. I do reckon that we'll end up hyphenating when and if we breed, though. It's probably nice to all have the same name, even if it does make us sound like middle-class ponces. Which is why I would very much like to be Jane and Mr Jane Springsteen. Bruce wouldn't mind, I'm sure. If we made up our own (which is a cool idea), then we'd probably end up Mr and Ms Fartface, which would make us really popular. Since kids mock you if your name is even vaguely mockable, might as well beat them to the punch. Where could they go with "Fartface"?

My mother kept her name until my brother was born, then she changed it, but took her maiden name as her middle name (which I also use as a middle name now). I think if she was married a few years later, she wouldn't have bothered changing it at all.

It's totally up to people themselves, I just end up kicking myself for doing a little raised eyebrow thing because it's none of my fricking business, like. And totally the opposite of being a 'good feminist' to judge other people's decisions. It's just one of those things I find I have to be conscious of.

OMG Sufi, you're nearly a mammy! I hope you're feeling as sprightly as you can be during these last few weeks. Very excited for you, even though I only know you on the internet.

congrats jane! good party, lovely cakes!

may your future together be a profiterole filled with fresh cream and topped off with warm dark chocolate sauce.

Thanks! MMMMmmmmm cakes. We really overdid the cakes. And the snack food. We were actually going to have a big box of FOOD 4 DRUNX on the way out, where guests could take bags of Rancheros and Mars bars and stuff on their way home.

But we just didn't get around to it. Gonna do it at the next party, though. I mean, I was sending cake home with people, but sometimes you really need a bag of salt at 3am.

My greatest regret is not tasting any of the cakes. What sort of cake fool am I?

I thought it was a bit off that you had a "WHITES ONLY" sign sitting on the cake table though.

Thanks! MMMMmmmmm cakes. We really overdid the cakes. And the snack food. We were actually going to have a big box of FOOD 4 DRUNX on the way out, where guests could take bags of Rancheros and Mars bars and stuff on their way home.

But we just didn't get around to it. Gonna do it at the next party, though. I mean, I was sending cake home with people, but sometimes you really need a bag of salt at 3am.

you should have had a salt lick in the smoking area

himalayan-salt-lick.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back