Comprehensive list of Thumped people who ever had dreadlocks. (1 Viewer)

Not just about that video, I have been hearing loads lately that white people with dreadlocks are evil/culturally insensitive/imperialist etc. and I am not entirely convinced, even though I see some cultural appropriation as utterly heinous.

Not just about that video, I have been hearing loads lately that white people with dreadlocks are evil/culturally insensitive/imperialist etc. and I am not entirely convinced, even though I see some cultural appropriation as utterly heinous.

I think wearing dreads is viewed as being kinda clownish and dumb, but it's been that way for a while.

I don't see the major harm done in some skuzzy skater kid wearing his hair in dreads if he wants to; he clearly loves the things.
It is a free country and he can wear his hair how he wants, even if people don't like it.

I remember my mate at college had really long dreads. A few dreadlocked girls, thinking him a kindred spirit asked him back to their house where he was subjected to live didgeridoo and bongos and possibly even a rain stick. They couldn't understand that he preferred to listen to Discharge and Doom. He got extremely pissed and was never invited back again.

Had the crusty mullet, then a few rats tails in my retreat from dreadlockdome. It was a YOLO thing as I have been going bald since I was 18 and knew I would only have one chance in a lifetime to have a stupid hairstyle. Still have them in my attic if anyone wants them.

I knew a guy who cut off his dreads, immediately regretted it and decided to sew them back in - he got to about three quarters through when he realised he had put them back in too tightly and ran out of dreads- he had to get a 'transplant' from his girlfriend....

This is why I never slag off hipsters...

Had the crusty mullet, then a few rats tails in my retreat from dreadlockdome. It was a YOLO thing as I have been going bald since I was 18 and knew I would only have one chance in a lifetime to have a stupid hairstyle. Still have them in my attic if anyone wants them.

I knew a guy who cut off his dreads, immediately regretted it and decided to sew them back in - he got to about three quarters through when he realised he had put them back in too tightly and ran out of dreads- he had to get a 'transplant' from his girlfriend....

This is why I never slag off hipsters...

I need to give this both an informative and a hero

The hair (particularly of those with curly hair) of people of any ethnicity will naturally mat into clumps if not regularly brushed or combed. See Polish Plait for one example. And such hairstyles appear on ancient Greek and Egyptian statues, in Viking imagery, in almost every religion... it is very likely that they were common throughout the world when levels of personal hygiene and grooming were different. Whether calling them Dreadlocks is cultural appropriation is possibly debatable, but suggesting that something that has featured in the history of almost every world civilisation for thousands of years now only belongs to one is a little bit mad.

Polish plait.... I guessed it would be something like this Ukrainian plait.

313f7d34b0795b6c2449b5ef96bb3ebc.jpg

The reality is rather less sexy.

There was a mad woman in Rathmines ( I think) called "The Lady". She used to wear a tiny little hat atop a massive lump of grey dreadlock, or as I now know, a Polish Plait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back