Comprehensive List of Bands I'm Afraid to See Live Because They might Not Live Up To My Expectations (1 Viewer)

Funny this should come up now. I went to see Sloan last night. Been into them for years, super excited to finally get to see them. Problem is that it wasn't a normal gig. It was a celebration of 21 years of their indie label. They played their 1992 ep in full and another 7" from the early 90s. I don't like their early stuff at all. I only knew one song they played and I've never liked it. Its not like i was tricked, i knew all this going in. Plus the sound in the venue was atrocious.
So still got a kick out of seeing the lads up there on stage.
In my mind I've still not seen Sloan.

Pink Floyd
Stone Roses

I refused to go to that SR gig last year because of this. I was a MASSIVE fan back in the day but having seen them all individually (apart from the drummer) in other guises and having seen how (mostly) terrible they were, I couldn't face seeing them collectively.

Pink Floyd have become a bit of a circus. I hate tribute acts but I went to see the Australian Pink Floyd years back. The whoopin and hollerin in the crowd was ridiculous. There one of these bands that have followers, and 'greatest hits' followers (a bit like the lads complaining about Neil Young last night). And fuck that. Plus, Shaney said they were terrible and I have no difficulty believing that.

Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd have become a bit of a circus. I hate tribute acts but I went to see the Australian Pink Floyd years back. The whoopin and hollerin in the crowd was ridiculous. There one of these bands that have followers, and 'greatest hits' followers (a bit like the lads complaining about Neil Young last night). And fuck that. Plus, Shaney said they were terrible and I have no difficulty believing that.

You've missed the boat anyway Scutter, you'll never pass up a chance to see them now. Only you and Nick Mason haven't realised this yet. I see potential in another new thread called "Comprehensive list of great bands that I'm glad I'll never get to see". I don't think I said they were shite, just a bit boring at a time when I needed them to be really mind-blowing. The lights were nice. Maybe I did say they were shite - they played Take It Back and Coming Back To Life.

You've missed the boat anyway Scutter, you'll never pass up a chance to see them now. Only you and Nick Mason haven't realised this yet.

I could see a Mason/Gilmour reunion type thing under the name 'Pink Floyd' happening, but I sincerely hope it doesn't.

I always argued that anything after 'The Final Cut' wasn't really Pink Floyd anyway. Sure wasn't there even a big legal battle at the time over the use of the name.

I could see a Mason/Gilmour reunion type thing under the name 'Pink Floyd' happening, but I sincerely hope it doesn't.

I can't see it happening myself, I think Gilmour has had enough of Pink Floyd (apart from the fans he presumably hopes will buy his next album)

I always argued that anything after 'The Final Cut' wasn't really Pink Floyd anyway. Sure wasn't there even a big legal battle at the time over the use of the name.

Yeah, I agree, even though I like a few of the songs. The Final Cut was the end.

I saw Bob Dylan in a huge outdoor arena once, opening for paul simon. he mumbled his way through a selection of his greatest hits before Paul Simon came on with his big band. I think I was the only person there who enjoyed dylan's set. Everyone was moaning they didn't recognize any of Dylan's tunes even though he played a load of well-known ones in an almost unrecognizable way. I only went because I was bought a ticket but it was good. I don't know I'd go and see dylan again in case it spoiled my almost-forgotten happy memories. I wouldn't bother me hole with paul simon.

I got a ticket to see Dylan for my 21st birthday, which is 20 years ago, and even at that stage he was basically an old has been where the best you could hope for was that he wouldn't fuck up his songs too badly. The gig was pretty decent, in fairness, though it felt like the crowd was trying to win the musician over rather than the other way around

I skipped all the Pixies reunion gigs because I was afraid of how bad they would be (well that and the Chilli Peppers). By all accounts I was correct.

I suppose i'm a bit afraid of seeing Weezer live.

Oh and Blur.

I haven't seen them since the 90's and I can't decide if I want to probably taint those memories.

Oh and Blur.

I haven't seen them since the 90's and I can't decide if I want to probably taint those memories.

Saw them a couple of weeks ago. I was never that big into them, they only got good when Graham started making them rip off pavement as far as I'm concerned, and I wasn't that into it. Starting off with Girls and Boys, which I think is one of the dumbest songs ever didn't help. The fans I was there with thought it was a revelation though. They played well, I just didn't think that it was good.

Edit: That's a little unfair, I liked the songs that I already liked; Coffee & TV, Out Of Time etc.

Ah no, kidding. I think you just have a higher standard than the likes of me. I'm VERY forgiving.

I want to see Blur but I want to see Blur who are into it, rather than Blur collecting the neverending reunion tour pay-cheque. It's probably too much of an ask at this point.

Ah no, kidding. I think you just have a higher standard than the likes of me. I'm VERY forgiving.

I want to see Blur but I want to see Blur who are into it, rather than Blur collecting the neverending reunion tour pay-cheque. It's probably too much of an ask at this point.

I wouldn't say that they were half assing it when they played. My lack of enjoyment may have also been influenced by the fact that I had pulled a muscle in my neck that morning and was in quite a bit of pain. Like I said in the edit, the stuff I liked going to the gig I thought was good.

Bjork

Neil Young

Bob Dylan

The Cure

Though mainly Bjork because I wasn't mad on her last few and I literally would have killed to see her circa Homogenic/Vespertine.

Neil Young - from seeing him with the band twice in the last 5 years, definitely go if you get the chance.
Bjork - I'll tell you in a few weeks, just got tickets for her show here, and I'm lukewarm on the last couple of albums too.
The Cure - Saw them once at Oxygen/Witness/whatever it was at that stage, very long gig as far as I remember and the hardcore types were loving it, I thought they were okay.
Dylan - never seen him and not really bothered paying that amount of cash for it based on most reports.

Neil Young - from seeing him with the band twice in the last 5 years, definitely go if you get the chance.
Bjork - I'll tell you in a few weeks, just got tickets for her show here, and I'm lukewarm on the last couple of albums too.
The Cure - Saw them once at Oxygen/Witness/whatever it was at that stage, very long gig as far as I remember and the hardcore types were loving it, I thought they were okay.
Dylan - never seen him and not really bothered paying that amount of cash for it based on most reports.

But what if I kill Neil ?

I hera the Cure are still amazing and they always play 3 hour sets, but if I saw them in 1989 they'd have all killer tunes, now it'll be diluted with their later stuff which is muck.
I skipped all the Pixies reunion gigs because I was afraid of how bad they would be (well that and the Chilli Peppers). By all accounts I was correct.

I suppose i'm a bit afraid of seeing Weezer live.

You weren't really, I thought they were great at Landsdowne, the band were good, the set was good, the venues weren't. That said Frank Black at Vicar Street in 2001 was way better.

A few folks I know who have seen Weezer have said they where pretty average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back