Coffee (1 Viewer)

Coffee is best enjoyed

• Total voters
Bah! Criticise me for liking vanilla syrup in my latte and then admit to drinking instant coffee, which is basically freeze-dried shite, eh? Feck yez anyway!

I never buy instant coffee. But I do find sometimes when at other people's homes that it is the only coffee option.

Great drip coffee in Sligo IT (where I work) and its always on the go so its never stale. yeah that red-label maxwell house stuff. Its frightening!! Lidl have decent instant coffee, can't remember the name of it, but it has a gold and black jar a bit like Kenco.

That coffee kiosk place in the Georges Street Arcade has an electric vacuum coffee maker... made by bodum... but it's plastic and resembles one of those conical food processors - yuck!

Looks like the only way to get my hands on one of the Cona ones is over the internets, but all that glass!

That coffee kiosk place in the Georges Street Arcade has an electric vacuum coffee maker... made by bodum... but it's plastic and resembles one of those conical food processors - yuck!

Looks like the only way to get my hands on one of the Cona ones is over the internets, but all that glass!

i picked up my ibriks from the post office this morning and ran down to 4 seasons halal shop to get coffee so i could have some for breakfast. i'll probably need a little practice. i used the 3 cup one (as opposed to the 1-cup one which i also got) and ended up with about an espresso-size amount of coffee. it was very nice and strong although there wasnt much sediment in it so either i need to put in way more coffee or tip out the dregs from the pot into the cup (or just settle for a cleaner cup). i was disappointed that when i let it boil for the second time all the foam disappeared so next time i'll scoop out the foam into the cup after the first boil as the internet recommended.

any updates on the vacuum pot? maybe yer man in the arcade could get a hold of one for you

i picked up my ibriks from the post office this morning and ran down to 4 seasons halal shop to get coffee so i could have some for breakfast. i'll probably need a little practice. i used the 3 cup one (as opposed to the 1-cup one which i also got) and ended up with about an espresso-size amount of coffee. it was very nice and strong although there wasnt much sediment in it so either i need to put in way more coffee or tip out the dregs from the pot into the cup (or just settle for a cleaner cup). i was disappointed that when i let it boil for the second time all the foam disappeared so next time i'll scoop out the foam into the cup after the first boil as the internet recommended.

any updates on the vacuum pot? maybe yer man in the arcade could get a hold of one for you

Hmmm... well, since you can't really drink the sediment I guess a clean cup isn't a bad thing. I suppose you could stir it all before pouring if you want the sediment - maybe.

No updates on the vacuum pot. I did consider going into him and asking if he'd order one for me... but then I chickened out. Maybe I'll pluck up courage. Ordering off the internet isn't really an option as I can't get parcels delivered to work.

Bah, what is it about the sediment you like?? I can't stand it. Grit makes me gag.

!bog

its not so much that i want a mouthful of grit/mud its just that i felt if i had made it correctly then it would by full of it. i did let it settle in the pot for a minute and then poured it carefully and left a good bit in the bottom of the pot when i noticed the flow getting siltier so it was probably fine and it tasted grand. still, im going to try with more coffee next time.

Did a bit more research and I absolutely love this one - japanese, apparently based on an old model by Cona.

yama_table_parts.jpg
yama_5cup_tabletop.jpg

Warm water goes in the bottom part, ground coffee in the top. You light the little lamp below it, as the water heats it is pushed up into the top part to mix with the coffee... when you put out the lamp the brewed coffee is pulled back down into the bottom part through the filter and hey presto!

Sound like hassle - does it make especially good coffee? I can't see how it would be very different from ordinary filter coffee

It is largely reviewed as making the best coffee... because you can control brew time (something you can't do with a drip coffee maker) you can control the strength, the water goes on to the coffee at the optimum temperature so you get less bitterness but all the strength, and it is supposed to be very 'clean' i.e. no grounds in the bottom of your cup.

Ohh I see.
Think thats a job for a lazy sunday morning though.
I cant imagine what would happen if I tred to do that at ten to nine on a morning.

Ah yeah, it wouldn't be an every day coffee maker - but for that special after-dinner coffee, or lazy weekend morning coffee - perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back