Coffee (1 Viewer)

Coffee is best enjoyed

• Total voters
just bought two!

7d_1.JPG

next stop Hookah Pipe

Here's the deal with coffee.

Really quickly

Dry Roast green coffee beans in the oven for approx 12 -15 mins.

Don't freeze coffee. Store in dark , cool place in airtight container.

Stove top espresso machines (Mocha pots) are good but clean and dry them after use.
Aluminium is not good for you.

A good grinder is worth the expense.

Coffee keeps the gout at bay.

If you feel like a long read then continue reading .

"Fresh" coffee is actually kinda like a cherry. After harvesting , the cherries are dried (usually sun-dried) until the fruity cherry outer part shrivels up and falls off.
Each cherry has two beans inside.
These are small hard green beans (different varieties of plants produce different size and shaped beans)
These beans are graded according to size , qualities etc.
The beans are sacked up and sold ( usually by auction ) and shipped to a variety of places around the world.
Coffee brokers then trade the coffee to the Roasting companies.

The roasters will then roast the coffee beans.

Commercial coffee roasting is pretty straightforward.

Green beans are fed into a roaster . These can be gas fired or electrical but they work in more or less the same way. The air inside is heated to about 250 degrees Celsius and the beans are roasted by circulating hot air.
The beans are constantly moving to ensure even roasting.

It takes about 8 to 20 minutes to roast a batch of beans depending on the desired level of roastedness (is that a word?) ie. Dark Roast (sometimes called French Roast or Mild Roast (sometimes called City Roast). Also the roast time depends on the type/origin of the bean.

You can hear the beans make a distinctive cracking sound while roasting. The second crack is a rough signal that the coffee is ready, but a professional roaster will be able to remove a little sample of beans(via a little trap ) without interrupting the roasting process to visually asses whether the beans are ready or not.
When the beans are ready they are spilled out into a cooling tray/chaff filter.
The beans need to be cooled quickly as the will continue cooking from trapped heat otherwise.
This is achieved by constantly moving the beans over a vented grille .

If desired , the roasted beans can then be blended to achieve a particular flavour for example- 50% Colombian, 25% Guatemalan ,25% Ethiopian or left as single origin e.g.. 100% Sumatran.

The beans are packed for retail or coffee shop usage in a number of different methods.
Some roasters pack in air tight bags with a one-way valve to allow Co2 gas to escape , others seal them in airtight bags - if left like this ,freshly bagged coffee can - by releasing Co2 swell up and even burst.
Assuming you have a freshly roasted supply that is going to get used within a week or two ,then beans can be bagged in plastic that has a couple of small perforations in them (to allow the gas to escape).

You can also , of course , buy pre-ground coffee (usually vacuum packed into a block) or get it ground to order at a cafe or deli etc.

If you want to roast your own coffee , you can do this in a couple of ways.
First you need to find green beans. You can buy these online or from your local roaster.
Don't worry about freshness of green beans as they can be stored for a helluva long time and still be fine.

Don't expect to get excellent results with your home roasting - but you do get a good sense of achievment when drinking your first cup of home roasted coffee.

Dry roast only - no oil, olive or otherwise.
Normal kitchen oven , pre-heated to about 250c.
Put green beans in metal colander if you have one or a cast iron pan or an oven tray - then put the pan in the oven.(middle) if you have a fan oven then put the fan on.
All ovens differ and the type of green beans you have will dictate different cooking times - so the best advice I can give is to look at the beans after 8 mins and then every minute or so and when they reach the desired colour(anywhere from caramel colour to dark brown/almost black) , take them out .
They will probably be emitting an acrid smoke so it's best to take the pot/tray/colander outdoors straight away as this will help them cool quickly.You can also use a spatula or similar to stir the beans about to further cool the beans.

To grind the beans try to avoid the type of grinders that have spinning blades like a blender as these tend to produce uneven size grounds and also the transfer quite a bit of heat to the grounds ( which is bad).

If you can get your hands on a burr grinder
All the better .Even an adjustable peppermill may work.

Ground coffee loses it freshness in minutes.
Grind to order.

Don't freeze coffee. When you remove coffee from the freezer it draws condensation , this isn't good 'cause (premature) moisture is not good for coffee.

Store your beans in a cool,dark place preferably in an airtight container.

Any questions?

Here's the deal with coffee.

Really quickly

Dry Roast green coffee beans in the oven for approx 12 -15 mins.

Don't freeze coffee. Store in dark , cool place in airtight container.

Stove top espresso machines (Mocha pots) are good but clean and dry them after use.
Aluminium is not good for you.

A good grinder is worth the expense.

Coffee keeps the gout at bay.

If you feel like a long read then continue reading .

"Fresh" coffee is actually kinda like a cherry. After harvesting , the cherries are dried (usually sun-dried) until the fruity cherry outer part shrivels up and falls off.
Each cherry has two beans inside.
These are small hard green beans (different varieties of plants produce different size and shaped beans)
These beans are graded according to size , qualities etc.
The beans are sacked up and sold ( usually by auction ) and shipped to a variety of places around the world.
Coffee brokers then trade the coffee to the Roasting companies.

The roasters will then roast the coffee beans.

Commercial coffee roasting is pretty straightforward.

Green beans are fed into a roaster . These can be gas fired or electrical but they work in more or less the same way. The air inside is heated to about 250 degrees Celsius and the beans are roasted by circulating hot air.
The beans are constantly moving to ensure even roasting.

It takes about 8 to 20 minutes to roast a batch of beans depending on the desired level of roastedness (is that a word?) ie. Dark Roast (sometimes called French Roast or Mild Roast (sometimes called City Roast). Also the roast time depends on the type/origin of the bean.

You can hear the beans make a distinctive cracking sound while roasting. The second crack is a rough signal that the coffee is ready, but a professional roaster will be able to remove a little sample of beans(via a little trap ) without interrupting the roasting process to visually asses whether the beans are ready or not.
When the beans are ready they are spilled out into a cooling tray/chaff filter.
The beans need to be cooled quickly as the will continue cooking from trapped heat otherwise.
This is achieved by constantly moving the beans over a vented grille .

If desired , the roasted beans can then be blended to achieve a particular flavour for example- 50% Colombian, 25% Guatemalan ,25% Ethiopian or left as single origin e.g.. 100% Sumatran.

The beans are packed for retail or coffee shop usage in a number of different methods.
Some roasters pack in air tight bags with a one-way valve to allow Co2 gas to escape , others seal them in airtight bags - if left like this ,freshly bagged coffee can - by releasing Co2 swell up and even burst.
Assuming you have a freshly roasted supply that is going to get used within a week or two ,then beans can be bagged in plastic that has a couple of small perforations in them (to allow the gas to escape).

You can also , of course , buy pre-ground coffee (usually vacuum packed into a block) or get it ground to order at a cafe or deli etc.

If you want to roast your own coffee , you can do this in a couple of ways.
First you need to find green beans. You can buy these online or from your local roaster.
Don't worry about freshness of green beans as they can be stored for a helluva long time and still be fine.

Don't expect to get excellent results with your home roasting - but you do get a good sense of achievment when drinking your first cup of home roasted coffee.

Dry roast only - no oil, olive or otherwise.
Normal kitchen oven , pre-heated to about 250c.
Put green beans in metal colander if you have one or a cast iron pan or an oven tray - then put the pan in the oven.(middle) if you have a fan oven then put the fan on.
All ovens differ and the type of green beans you have will dictate different cooking times - so the best advice I can give is to look at the beans after 8 mins and then every minute or so and when they reach the desired colour(anywhere from caramel colour to dark brown/almost black) , take them out .
They will probably be emitting an acrid smoke so it's best to take the pot/tray/colander outdoors straight away as this will help them cool quickly.You can also use a spatula or similar to stir the beans about to further cool the beans.

To grind the beans try to avoid the type of grinders that have spinning blades like a blender as these tend to produce uneven size grounds and also the transfer quite a bit of heat to the grounds ( which is bad).

If you can get your hands on a burr grinder
All the better .Even an adjustable peppermill may work.

Ground coffee loses it freshness in minutes.
Grind to order.

Don't freeze coffee. When you remove coffee from the freezer it draws condensation , this isn't good 'cause (premature) moisture is not good for coffee.

Store your beans in a cool,dark place preferably in an airtight container.

Any questions?

Or alternativly, just pop into Starbucks

I'm actually growing a coffee plant. Fingers crossed in about 2 -3 years I'll have enough cherries to harvest for one shot of espresso.
Looking forward to it me.

I wish there was a general understanding that an Americano is not the same as a filtered cup of coffee. Moreover, that a cup of iced coffee is not just a hot Americano poured on iced, which instantly melts. I am too lazy to brew my own since no one else I know will drink it. I miss being able to pick it up on any corner though.

I wish there was a general understanding that an Americano is not the same as a filtered cup of coffee. Moreover, that a cup of iced coffee is not just a hot Americano poured on iced, which instantly melts. I am too lazy to brew my own since no one else I know will drink it. I miss being able to pick it up on any corner though.

Americano is diluted espresso isn't it - sacriledge!

Just where in Irleland are you living Hayworth? It's difficult to go anywhere in Dublin now without passing somewhere that will sell you a paper cup of coffee. And given some of the atrocious stuff they serve in New York with the claim that it's coffee even the stuff from Centra would be better.

Americano is diluted espresso isn't it - sacriledge!

Just where in Irleland are you living Hayworth? It's difficult to go anywhere in Dublin now without passing somewhere that will sell you a paper cup of coffee. And given some of the atrocious stuff they serve in New York with the claim that it's coffee even the stuff from Centra would be better.

You tell me anywhere other than Bewleys or Eddie Rockets that actually brew a pot of coffee and I will be there. Everything is this dreck they make using some damn espresso maker contraption. Sadly the Londis on the end of Grafton is the best coffee I have found in the city. It’s the only thing I miss minus sweet pickles. The chocolate here makes up for it though. ;)

You tell me anywhere other than Bewleys or Eddie Rockets that actually brew a pot of coffee and I will be there. Everything is this dreck they make using some damn espresso maker contraption.
Isn't that supposed to be the best way - the presure of the expresso machine gets the best flavour.
I occasionally make an americano in the morning and it's way better than what I get from the plunger.
I never much liked filter coffe cause it's normally been bobbling away for ages on a hotplate

Isn't that supposed to be the best way - the presure of the expresso machine gets the best flavour.
I occasionally make an americano in the morning and it's way better than what I get from the plunger.
I never much liked filter coffe cause it's normally been bobbling away for ages on a hotplate

it is for me, that's why we bought a little single espresso machine for the gaff here. It tastes way better than the plunger coffee, I think the plunger coffee is bottom of the pile by a long way.
Percolated coffee, is next best, and then espresso is the best. I dont like espresso, I like strong black Americano, so I just leave the machine run through a bit. But, percolated is fine if its daysunt coffee and not ancient. Also, you should never boil coffee.

And, I fucking hate starbucks. As soon as I walk in there my stomach turns with that manky smell shite they mix with their flavoured coffee. Almost as bad as the smell of popcorn.

Fuck flavoured coffee. Unless it's coffee flavour.

You tell me anywhere other than Bewleys or Eddie Rockets that actually brew a pot of coffee and I will be there. Everything is this dreck they make using some damn espresso maker contraption. Sadly the Londis on the end of Grafton is the best coffee I have found in the city. It’s the only thing I miss minus sweet pickles. The chocolate here makes up for it though. ;)

Oh dear! I think we probably greatly disagree on what qualifies as coffee :D

Sweet pickles are great, and I definitely agree on the chocolate... but espresso is far superior to drip coffee. The only places I could find good coffee in the US were Italian restaurants, and even then not always.

I bought myself one of those Nespresso machines, after a lot of soul searching, perfect espresso every time. I wouldn't have paid full price for it, but BT had 60 euro off them a while back. Great for that first jolt in the morning and they have a good range of different coffees.

I really, really want one of those vacuum coffee makers though.

Oh dear! I think we probably greatly disagree on what qualifies as coffee :D

Sweet pickles are great, and I definitely agree on the chocolate... but espresso is far superior to drip coffee. The only places I could find good coffee in the US were Italian restaurants, and even then not always.

I bought myself one of those Nespresso machines, after a lot of soul searching, perfect espresso every time. I wouldn't have paid full price for it, but BT had 60 euro off them a while back. Great for that first jolt in the morning and they have a good range of different coffees.

I really, really want one of those vacuum coffee makers though.

I suppose we do. I just want run of the mill coffee (cuppa joe if you will) not some fancy scientific drink. Lattes, esspresso, Americanos, cappuccinos are lost on me. Drip coffee for me please. It's never sitting all day on a hot plate in places where people drink it regularly. Fresh drip coffee is heaven.

As for the chocolate I think I've gained at least a stone since moving here trying all the different sweets. Superior chocolates by far and better names for them to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back