Citizenship Tossers (2 Viewers)

Can I just point out to Mormon Nailer that the whole reason for this post in the first place was because people can no longer be naturalised on the basis of being married to an Irish citizen. Even when they allowed it (up until late last year), it was never an automatic - you had to apply and wait and see. If, like in my case (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) an immigrant doesn't happen to know a solicitor personally, their application is automatically rejected. It's a silly rule because, by the very NATURE of being an immigrant, I wouldn't necessarily have those types of contacts in the country I immigrate to.

Now when I lodge my new application for citizenship, the fact that I am married to an irish citizen has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not I am granted citizenship.

It's a shit situation Jane.. and one that invariably will fuck up the Irish economy. It's hard to have a celtic tiger when all the celts have no interests in being at the bottom of the economic ladder, and won't let in people who willingly would be. You just end with increased service costs/spiralling taxes on everything (sound familiar?).

Well we do 'let in people' who willingly play these roles. Hence the assimilation of Eastern European labour markets into the common market and their associated role in filling out jobs as disposeable cogs in work characterised by the three d's of dirty, dangerous and demanding. Anyway, if you predicate the individuals right of movement on their projected use value in the economy you really haven't progressed too far from the methodology being employed by the Irish state.

Personally, the whole area of not being able to vote because you are not an Irish citizen, doesn't really bother me. I'm 29 now and have never voted in my life and probably never will. Voting doesn't seem to change anything these days. So I'm not gonna talk about the whole voting thing.

What does matter to me, is that if I pop my cloggs, my wife would have to leave the country. She has a life here, but without me, in the eyes of the government, she has no right to stay. What is the point of someone coming over and contributing to society when you can have the emerald coloured rug pulled out from under you at the drop of a hat (or husband).

Something that has been brought to my attention by the missus, is that if we were on holiday somewhere and the shit hit the fan (major environmental disaster, violent military coup) we could be seperated when evacuations begin. While I'd imagine it's 99% more likely for the Canadian government to get their folks out of a shit hole a lot faster than Bertie would, Johnnyc is left behind to fight atomic zombies all by himself.

It's things like that, that piss me off.

There's tax advantages to dual citizenship isn't there?

i think you mean disadvantages as if you take up irish citizenship (while you had another citizenship before that), you are taxed on your world income unless the other country is in a tax agreement with ireland unlike if you are an irish resident but not domiciled here where then your only taxed on irish income and money you transfer to ireland (i'm lacking the proper phrase)

dang my tax books (yes plural. i now have 3) are upstairs and i'm too lazy to get them but i think that's how it goes

i might check it out later and apologise for being mistaken in this post (that's a might, not a deffinately)

What does matter to me, is that if I pop my cloggs, my wife would have to leave the country. She has a life here, but without me, in the eyes of the government, she has no right to stay. What is the point of someone coming over and contributing to society when you can have the emerald coloured rug pulled out from under you at the drop of a hat (or husband).

This sort of points to the need for the introduction of a system of common law marriage. While the term common law isn't used anymore, there are things like contracts of cohabitation that reflect the spirit of it. I'm not too sure how it would work after say the Irish partner dies, but a Canadian I know living in England pretty much has all the rights you'd expect from citizenship apart from political rights. Correct me if I'm wrong but he pretty much seems to be entitled to work, welfare benefits and all the usual. Equally the Canadian state will recognise a relationship if you've been co-habiting for one year with some legal rights given to the Johnny foreigner. All in all the Irish state just proves itself to be a mother fucker when it comes to allowing people to stay, its partially racially motivated in my opinion. I'm quite surprised the church have not raised a heckle of opposition given the effects such legislation has on the sancity of the family, as it can rip one apart, but then again the fuckers were very silent during the citizenship referendum as well.

This sort of points to the need for the introduction of a system of common law marriage. While the term common law isn't used anymore, there are things like contracts of cohabitation that reflect the spirit of it. I'm not too sure how it would work after say the Irish partner dies, but a Canadian I know living in England pretty much has all the rights you'd expect from citizenship apart from political rights. Correct me if I'm wrong but he pretty much seems to be entitled to work, welfare benefits and all the usual. Equally the Canadian state will recognise a relationship if you've been co-habiting for one year with some legal rights given to the Johnny foreigner. All in all the Irish state just proves itself to be a mother fucker when it comes to allowing people to stay, its partially racially motivated in my opinion. I'm quite surprised the church have not raised a heckle of opposition given the effects such legislation has on the sancity of the family, as it can rip one apart, but then again the fuckers were very silent during the citizenship referendum as well.

Actually, I think Canada and England have an agreement whereby Canadians are allowed to go there for 2 or so years on a visa and work and live there but have to go back after that period. A friend of mine was on that programme a while back. Also, common-law relationships in Canada do have the advantage of being legally recognised but not in terms of immigration. I think that the couple have to be legally married to avail of the likes of citizenship.

The church only seem to open their mouths when it suits and especially when it is likely they will get good PR out of it. Very cynical point of view but I can't help it.

Also, as JohnnyC said, I'm terrified that if something happened to him, I'd be picked up by the Gards and hauled off and told to piss off back home. I realise it's not the most likely of scenarios but it could still happen and then I'd be left high and dry. It's the precariousness of the whole situation that really bothers me and also the fact that the system is one big bureaucracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back