Citizenship Tossers (1 Viewer)

KokaneeCowgirl

Ok, so last year I applied for post-nuptial Irish citizenship. At that stage I had been married to an irishman for 4 years, working hard, paying taxes, etc. etc. My application was rejected because the solicitor who vouched for me hadn't known me personally (I'm sorry - but how many immigrants to a new country would be on personal terms with a solicitor, for fuck sake? ) And then the citizenship fuckers decided that they wouldn't allow anyone to apply for citizenship based on marrying an irish citizen anymore, so I wasn't able to apply on those grounds again.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I receive a letter stating that my application was rejected (DUH) and inviting me to apply on other grounds WHICH CAN TAKE UP TO 30 MONTHS! But I have to somehow prove that I will stay in Ireland for a couple of years after I'm granted citizenship.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing in the past?

I'm so pissed off I'm considering eating glass for relief.

Rant over.

I'm sorry - but how many immigrants would be on personal terms with a solicitor, for fuck sake?

Я - иннокинт. Где - мой адвокат?

main-pic.jpg

Bizarre
Do you have a green card or residency or something?

Yes, I have 'leave to remain' because I am married to said Irish citizen, but I can't get citizenship based on the marriage. They closed off the possibility last year of anyone ever applying for irish citizenship based on marriages to irish citizens. Which is absolutely fucking absurd if you ask me.

Why do you need citizenship if you've leave to stay? Is it for voting?

Well I don't know if I would vote really, but I mean, I'm here 5 years, I have 'integrated' as they say and I would like dual citizenship. Also, it makes travelling in the EU much easier.

I'm also paranoid that should anything ever happen while abroad (ie. all hell breaks loose) my other half and I would be separated based on passports.

LavajoNation said:
And then the citizenship fuckers decided that they wouldn't allow anyone to apply for citizenship based on marrying an irish citizen anymore
why did they do that anyway? and why? to stop convenience citizenship marriages? pretty cynical if so.

why did they do that anyway? and why? to stop convenience citizenship marriages? pretty cynical if so.

I'm not sure but probably for the same reason that a child being born in Ireland no longer has the right to stay in Ireland before they are 18.

Plainly put it was probably to stop non-whites gaining citizenship so easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back