Ciao Trap. Next. (1 Viewer)

African naivety. They'll never win a World Cup, like Pele said they would, till they cop on.
Carlo Ancelotti's opinion too. He wrote about wanting to manage an African team in his autobiography. He believes some sides lack some organisation but have all the other technical attributes required to challenge for a world cup.

I'm reading this as, "great athletes, these black fellas, awfully thick though"

Surely this is retrograde bullshit?

It's certainly still true that African FA's have little faith in African coaches, as for the whole African players are tactically naive thing, yeah that's bullshit.

It's certainly still true that African FA's have little faith in African coaches, as for the whole African players are tactically naive thing, yeah that's bullshit.

Well, we've used Englishmen for most of the time since Eoin Hand.

It's a position you look for experience and success in. England themselves have gone foreign more than once.

I hate thick, lazy stereotypes.

Well, we've used Englishmen for most of the time since Eoin Hand.

It's a position you look for experience and success in. England themselves have gone foreign more than once.

I hate thick, lazy stereotypes.
Ah, heeeor. I was only messing about the athlete thing. Reinforcing the stereotype, in order to expose its nonsense.

When major tournament time comes around, there's always some crises, though, isn't there? Over money or something. And also, when we say "Africa" people mean Nigeria and Ivory Coast and what have you, but Egypt and Algeria used to be pretty good. Morocco too. They went to World Cups and didn't Zaire all over the place.

But as for the players themselves, of course they've got the licks. Like Thuram and Vieira for example. They won the world cup. You could even argue Zidane.

A further point might be: how will African coaches improve if they're not given the chance? You gotta learn to fall over in order to learn to get up or some other strangulated metaphor. You know what I mean.

England getting foreign coaches in was their way of suggesting that the problem was coaching. Rather than an endemic failure in their footballing culture, from kids football to journalism to the premier league. I mean, if Fabio Capello couldn't get them playing any better than a pub team, what chance does Johnny Englander have?

Uncle Woy is a pragmatist, with a knapsack full of experience. He has England playing as well as they can, and isn't afraid to kick sentimentalism out the door. Lads get picked on merit. But not just merit, they also get picked because they play for Man United. Maybe after this summer's glorious failure, they'll realise where they stand in the grand scheme of things.

The most successful English coach in the Premier League of recent years is Alan Pardew. ANd his team are French.

Best thing about Cameroon's win in 1990 was the Herald running a competition that if you picked every result they'd give you a million quid - madness of course, the odds were incredible - and they were going to milk the hell out of it.
But every single person was out on day one. Just wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back