Chickenpox (2 Viewers)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
Sigh...

A quick google image search and I'm wretching. Any parents been through chickenpox yet? Sionnach contracted them on her birthday and they've just shown up 13 days later. Lots of little spotteens on her belly... How long will I have to stay at home with her for? Does it last over a week?

I remember my mum reading me Malory Towers, lots of flat 7up and being brought for a spin in our first car. I have a medium-sized scar under my eye from 'em that prompted my friend in school to write a poem about me. It opened with the immortal lines:

"My best friend looks like the moon.
She has a hole in her face..."

I've no kiddies myself but my sister had it as a teenager and I think she was ill for about a week more or less. Apparently day 3 after spots is the most difficult day when the patient will be most lethargic, itchy and tired. Plenty of calamine lotion, cotton socks on the paws to stop scratching (gloves can be a bit itchy) and loads of attention and she will be grand.Good luck V.x

Thanks. x

(To be honest, I was totally cheery about the whole thing until I went and did the google image search.) It'll be grand, the two of us are back on our Doctor Who buzz together so we'll have some craic. It'll be like a little holiday. I remember being lethargic and sleeping loads but really loved the time my mum spent with me.

How old is your kid? My son had it when he was about 7.
His best mates ma sent Ken best over and he got it as well.
They played playstation for about a week. Kept their hands busy and didn't scratch much.
It will pass.

Myself and my daughter had it two years ago (she was two). I got it first. I was standing in the shower washing my hair or something and put my back out. While trying to get out of the shower I looked down and noticed all these spots all over my chest. Cue about two weeks lying on the living room floor not being able to move properly, and being covered in ghastly itchy spots ... everywhere. I was going through a heavy DOOM rock phase so I spent a lot of it listening to Sunn O)))'s Black One really really loud ... like some putrid immobilized wretch.

Then my daughter got it. To be honest, she didn't have it that bad. A few spots, a little scratching, no more than a few days and the worst was over.

Chickenpox is always much worse in adults than it is in children. Which is why some parents encourage their children to get infected.

black-death-3.jpg

This has been really easy. Stocked up on Doctor Who, Ace of Wands and old school Sesame Street, jelly and ice cream, jelly tots and flat 7up. We've made comics, music, jigsaws, played Pop Up Pirate and the house has never been tidier. The only problem is that the calamine lotion is cold so putting it on is a bit of a physical comedy act. She's happy out and is doing Costes-style rants with the microphone on her mini-cash register as I type. Still have a few more days to go until we can leave the house/put her back into creche but I reckon we're over the worst of it.
First two days: grand only it's difficult as a parent to see your kiddeen look like a plague victim.
Middle: gets more difficult, they get lethargic, cranky, sleep during the day, lose appetite, are clingy
End: Back to usual self but have to watch that they don't overscratch or go picking at the scabs.

Tip: I put the calamine lotion on with my hands as it covered her more quickly than if i had been dabbing with a cotton ball. When we ran out of the lotion, I bought another bottle and some calamine cream (much easier to put on if you're dealing with a wriggling, upset child).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back