CHDK hack for Canons (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 0
It's for installing extra scripts on your camera to get additional functionality or something.

here's more info

i want to setup bracketing so i can try some High Dynamic Range stuff(it looks cool).

Wow, I'd be really interested in seeing the results if when you get it set up, have been ogling HDR stuff on Flickr for ages, some of it is a bit too much but when it's good it's breath-taking. this guy in my contacts on flickr is mad into it, he stuck up a tutorial http://stuckincustoms.com/2006/06/06/548/

might be some use to you as well.:)

I hate overdone HDR. Goes agin the grain of what it's supposed to do. Especially all that "haloed" shit. I have seen some good effects done that way though, gimmicky though they may be.

But, each to their own. You'll be more impressed with yourself when you do "perfect" shots.

Here, HMD. Did that hack let you save the files on your camera as RAW? If you didn't already have the ability and you do now, then use that as your format. You'll really benefit when using HDR. You can even get your bracketed images from the one file, if needs be.

Ah jasus, yeah. It captures everything. And you can change the white balance and all that jazz after the fact. So it doesn't matter if you get a big orange picture when taking a picture indoors under tungsten light. You can fix it in Adobe Raw (Or a myriad of other packages).

Also, you've got more information captured in the file. Jpg is only 8bit per channel. RAW is usually 12 or more. And jpg is compressed.

You've a huge amount of control over the final output from a RAW file but there's less you can do with Jpg. You will have to convert the image into a format like jpg when you're finished if you want to do anything with it, but that's the beauty. Think of it as a digital negative, that will have to be processed. Jpg is a picture that has already been processed.

Best thing about RAW, as far as I'm concerned, is the fact that you can change the exposure when you get what would otherwise have been a shit image.

Also, you've got more information captured in the file. Jpg is only 8bit per channel. RAW is usually 12 or more.
i've started to work in 16 bit recently on files, then saving back as 8 bit; a lot would be coming from an 8 bit scanner. the results look much better when you're trying to pull details out of shadow, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back