Charlambides & Agitated Radio Pilot: Galway,Ballymahon & Dublin (1 Viewer)

desertedvillage

Website
www.desertedvillage.com
Charlambides & Agitated Radio Pilot

Tuesday July 11th
Galway: Richardsons (With CUBS*)
Wednesday July 12th
Ballymahon: The Bog Lane Theatre (with Veronica Moran)
8pm 7euro
Thursday July 13th
Dublin: The Boom Boom Room (with Papercut)

9pm 10 Euros

*Continuity UBS- Galway Chapter.

Charalambides video interview

Charalambides Bio

To say that the words "unique" and "singular" are over-used in describing music is to state the obvious. To apply these words to the sounds created by the various duo/trio configurations of the Texas group Charalambides over the last decade plus would be understatement. To be sure there are numerous antecedents to their music; to deny this of any artist's work would be akin to saying that they are deaf. But they have surely broken new ground in the primitive/folk/mystic/improv/psych valley in which they toil. As Marcus Boon wrote in The Wire; "...here is a truly 21st century experimental ethnic music that explores quietness and stasis... in the same way that musicians in the second half of the 20th century discovered amplification, noise and speed."

Originally a duo comprised of Tom Carter (who had been playing guitar in the Houston grunt-psych band The Mike Gunn) and Christina Carter, Charalambides released a cassette called Our Bed Is Green on their own Wholly Other label in 1992 (it was released on CD three years later). The two Carters had a firm grasp on the haunting nature of American blues and country and a mastery of tape manipulation to add to Tom Carter's expansive guitar skills. A full length album called Union was released by the Siltbreeze label and the duo became a trio with the addition of guitarist Jason Bill. The band toured the U.S., continuing to release a series of albums that accreted drones, withering guitar psych-outs, country-blues structure and Christina Carter's gorgeous singing.

Jason Bill left the band in 1996 (and now has an amazing duo of his own called Migrantes) and Tom and Christina Carter moved from Houston to Austin, TX. Having appeared on the landmark compilation Harmony of The Spheres in 1996 alongside Bardo Pond, Jessamine, Roy Montgomery, Flying Saucer Attack and Loren Mazzacane Connors, Charalambides ranked in an elite group of musicians that spanned continents. The duo focussed on the Wholly Other imprint; releasing music from Ash Castles on Ghost Coast, Scorces, Tom and Christina's solo recordings and a series of Charalambides CDRs. These limited edition releases illustrated the band's working processes; many were recorded live to tape. The band also released a number of titles on small labels. Bill Meyer described the band's more recent aesthetic in a May 2002 issue of The Chicago Reader:
  • "They stripped away layers of instruments, exposing their sound-for-sound's sake keyboard work and increasingly accomplished fingerpicking. A series of recent CDRs in Wholly Other documents an abandonment of compositions in favor of lengthy, textured improvisations; Christina, who's always been willing to let loose a wail when words fail her, has discarded lyrics altogether."
In 2002 Christina Carter's partner in Scorces, Heather Leigh Murray, joined Charalambides on vocals and pedal steel guitar. A CDR released on Wholly Other at this time, Unknown Spin, was the first in a series of kranky reissues of Charalambides material. In November 2003, kranky released the album (minus a Scorces track that was on the limited edition original) to substantial acclaim.
Joy Shapes is the first studio album recorded by Charalambides in a long time. The main tracks were recorded in June 2003, with subsequent overdubs, mixing and mastering done throughout the summer and early fall of 2003 including one night of vocals recording done in what Tom Carter calls a "lost evening." It is scheduled for release in May, 2004. Further reissues of Charalambides albums are now in the planning stages.

They're touring as a duo again this time:
Christina Carter: electric guitar, voice, bells
Tom Carter: electric guitar, lap steel guitar, acoustic guitar

176249547_34758ea631.jpg

mr.village,

have you got expected stage times 'cause i'm rushing that night and i want to make sure i grab meself a seat down the front to rest my weary bones?

thank you

Bog Lane Theatre is a great venue...this should be de-he-headly.

palace said:
mr.village,

have you got expected stage times 'cause i'm rushing that night and i want to make sure i grab meself a seat down the front to rest my weary bones?

thank you

I take it you're talking about Dublin:

Doors 9pm

Papercut is on first about 9:30

ARP: about 10:00 - 10:30

Charalambides: 10:45 - as long as they want to play, bar closes at 12:30

We hope to wrap it up by midnight so people can get the 12:30 shitelinks

two ARP gigs tomorrow in galway - first in Bell, Book and Candle bookshop with Phantom Dog Beneath The Moon & Vertigo Smyth (free admission - 6pm) and then with c*u*b*s and Charlambides in Richardsons...
.|..|

Charalambides are currently flying over the Atlantic ocean at 30000 feet. will be hitting shannon airport at 5.

galway gig - doors at 9. cubs at 9.20. arp at 9.45. charalambides at 10.20

arp play a warm up for their TOUR OF IRELAND!!!!! at the bell book and candle tonight at 6pm alongside phantom dog beneath the moon.

Myself and dd are getting the aircoach straight after the radio show. See ye later... -really looking forward to Papercut!

Is it true the Bauld Conniffe is doing a live collaboration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back