Charity Shop Records today (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ron
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 6
Anthony said:
which Raven album is it? Mostly good stuff from Raven.

I was at a real life british car boot sale in Bodmin las week. Got Bowie, Kate Bush ad Neil Young LPs for £2 each. All perfect too.
ehhh,cant remember was just flickin through...it was on the far left shelf in the oxfam in georges st last week..

I used to work (doing my bit, you know?) in the Enable shop here in Limerick. I was driven dememted by the ould wans there who insisted on putting outrageous prices on some of the records they got in. It was all old Irish dancehall & country stuff so nothing ever came in that interested me but they used to always charge well over a fiver for the stuff, bout €9 usually. Sheer lunacy.

what was their reasoning?

when we were in cardiff a few months ago, some nut wanted 20 pounds for 'goodbye yellow brickroad' - she looked mental though

well the price tag said that and there was no sense being talked

anyway, i'm not too into homosexual music, so no big deal

Best bargain i got in a charity shop was Madonnas Ray of Light CD for 50c
In perfect condition... Someone must have got in trouble for that...
Best recent find was a Faber and Faber box thing containing Biography on
Edward D. Wood Jr WITH a VHS copy of Plan 9 from Outer Space AND the origional movie poster... For 4 bats...
Deadly...
and the movie looks much better on VHS than DVD, plus there is a deadly trailor thats not on my DVD

Also a Roald Dahl Box set of 10 books for two bats last month...

Loooove the charity shoppin

Armagh

Armagh is a gold mine, especially the cancer shop:

Bargain 1:

Public Enemy "Fear Of A Black Planet"
Run DMC "Tougher Than Leather" (seen on sale in NYC for $30)
The Velvet Underground "Live 1969" (seen on sale elsewhere for £30)

for the sum of £1 all mint condish vinyl

Bargain 2:

The Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed" (seen on sale for $50)
The Rolling Stones "Made In The Shade"
Iggy Pop "Soldier"
The Stone Roses "Elephant Stone" 12"
The Jam "All Mod Cons"
David Bowie "The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust..."

All on vinyl of various states of repair

Bargain 3:

Nine Inch Nails "Pretty Hate Machine" CD £1

No. 3 less impressive admittedly but still...

charidee finds

my best charidee finds -
Young Marble Giants - colossal youth (rough trade orig lp) £.50 irish pence in drogheda (off the main street up the hill) - well worn but deadly nevertheless!

The Strawbs with sandy denny - all our own work lp (hallmark)also bought in drogheda!! - a brilliant lp pre fairport convertion with early version of "Who knows where the time goes" and a FANTASTIC lead off track "im on my way". £0.50 pence!

Leftfield - 2nd album promo .. £1. liffey street

rolling stones and beatles lps for a dollar each in christchurch new zealand.

tayto promotional toy of the Tayto man. 50cent thomas street.

and a t-shirt with mickey mouse on the front saying "i'm outta here - see ya!" for .50cent in georgia usa.

ron said:
Is Terry Hooley's shop still open?

He does still have a shop but it's in relatively new premises. It's a small arcade near smithfield,for some reason I can't remember the name,backbeat has also moved there.

Yeah, I work in one. I've been there over a year, even working most of the week at one stage and I've only ever bought one thing - Roxy Music's 'the Atlantic Years' for 2 tippers. Boxes in the back? We usually get rubbish from sister shops, stuff they can't sell. We got a large donation of classical vinyls once and there's still some knocking about back there. Apart from that nothing but junk - although the price on vinyl l.ps are 4 earths each.

The same stuff hangs around the shop for over half a year. Once we got a bunch of Chris DeBurghs in and I persuaded the manager to bring them to the Navan shop!

We don't get any say in pricing - we're just volunteers. Occasionally you use your initiative. Auld wans, yeah, don't have a fucking clue about the value of anything. But that's why they're auld wans. They're still talking about old money for god's sake! They're fun though - they have no real interest in work, they take about five tea breaks in a four hour shift.

People are always complaining about the prices, but I mean their purpose is to make money. You could try haggling with me though - I'm a pushover!

I picked up the 'Back to the Future' soundtrack on L.P in the Cancer Society in Phibsboro. 2 flans.

GORILLAMUNCH said:
what's the turn over of records in a charity shop? anyone ever work in one?
i'm convinced that they got big boxes in the back...probably not though

oh yeah this:
stryper.jpg

Two more t'day:
Ella & Basie 'On The Sunny Side Of The Street' LP; Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones 'Kiss' 7"

Re: charidee finds

rugfreezone said:
my best charidee finds -
Young Marble Giants - colossal youth (rough trade orig lp) £.50 irish pence in drogheda (off the main street up the hill) - well worn but deadly nevertheless!

Saw a battered copy of that on vinyl recently. Think it was Oxfam in George's St but couldn't swear to it. €5. Left it behind as I have it on CD and only had a €50 note on me. Those places like change / small notes.

There's an antique shop in Loughrea called Auld Stock. I was in there a few years ago and got an original mint pressing of The Message by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five for three quid. About a year after that I picked up a vinyl copy of Bug by Dinosaur Jr for €2 in the Galway branch of ISPCA. And around the same time I came across a load of early 90's vinyl at a stall in the Eyre Square shopping centre; Ice-T, De La Soul, Orbital, Moby, Utah Saints, Dee-Lite, Happy Mondays, C & C Music Factory etc. Among them was a tune called Power-Pill by Pac-Man. Turns out it's one of the first things Richard D James ever released. It's supposedly worth between €45 and €60. I paid €2 for it.

These first two any use?

Stephen Duffy 'Because We Love You';
Godflesh 'Streetcleaner'

and then some
Microdisney 'Crooked Mile';
Fatima Mansions 'Hive EP';
'Blues For Ceausescu' 12 " ers

ron said:
These first two any use?

Stephen Duffy 'Because We Love You';
Godflesh 'Streetcleaner'

and then some
Microdisney 'Crooked Mile';
Fatima Mansions 'Hive EP';
'Blues For Ceausescu' 12 " ers
streetcleaner = incredible

Funny enough I got one of my favourite electro tunes Hashim - Al Nayisch (The Soul) for €0.50 in Oxfam. I already mentioned this in this thread but it was a significant moment for me, spiritually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back