CD Artwork design...bidness (1 Viewer)

haven't gone indesign yet. Quark is just so comfortable and I can use it really quickly.
I just wish it made reliable pdfs, all the time.

I was the exact same, and it's really fustrating at first, but I could never go back now. I think it's even changed how I design, much cleaner and precise, just cause you get so much information about what you're doing arranged properly on one screen (which is a bit of an overload at first!) and the rendering is so good

I work in quark at home, but 9 times out of 10 I bring it into work (ssshhh!) and tidy it up and output in InDesign

bought indesign 6 months ago, still can't figure the damn thing out at all (not exactly mr technical here like) so had to buy quark 7 last week, indesign was slowing me down too much

'tis grand for what i need. I'm no designer so my job is mainly getting stuff ready for plate and the very occasional quick poster/flyer thrown together for customers who don't have the money to pay a real designer or don't have the time.

best thing i ever got though was adobe distiller, man that thing is a godsend, i save the quark file as an eps and then use distiller to make a pdf of it, saves about 95% of the memory with no loss of quality so a 100mb file becomes a 5-7mb file

I've been Exporting from 6.5 as PDF and it seems ok most of the time. But sometimes I get an error that I can't explain. I weird workaround is to create a new document of the same size and cut and past the entire contents into it. Then make a new PDF. Of course I don't need to tell you how many things can go wrong by doing this!!

I've been Exporting from 6.5 as PDF and it seems ok most of the time. But sometimes I get an error that I can't explain. I weird workaround is to create a new document of the same size and cut and past the entire contents into it. Then make a new PDF. Of course I don't need to tell you how many things can go wrong by doing this!!

get distiller, it eliminates tons of potential problems. of course you still need to proof the distilled file to be safe in case of font problems but i've had a pretty stress free existence since i got it and the files being so much smaller mean they e-mail and rip WAY faster than before.

will look into it. I'm going Macintel soon so I may go InDesign at the same time (am I right that quark 6.5 won't run on intel?) since I'll also be upgrading to cs3.

Some really some good stuff in this forum - has certainly helped me solve print/design issues in the past.

Could we arrange to have an faq stuck in here somewhere? I'm sure plenty of folks (me included!) would find it very useful.

People will always have issues getting their head around dpi, file formats, color profiles, bleed etc etc.

from our (the printers) point of view the single most important thing with artwork supplied is resolution.

You can have the best design in the world but if you supply it to a printer in a low resolution then there's nothing we can do to make it look good. You'd be amazed how often we get sent files in low resolution and/or small image size

As a printer, are there rules of thumb regarding which file formats are best considering what type of job it is? Does it make much of a difference?

Say for example a flyer which is primarily a photographic image vs a flyer which is mainly text and logos?

As a printer, are there rules of thumb regarding which file formats are best considering what type of job it is? Does it make much of a difference?

Say for example a flyer which is primarily a photographic image vs a flyer which is mainly text and logos?

pdf all the way bro. but I'm no printer, as well you know.

from our (the printers) point of view the single most important thing with artwork supplied is resolution.

You can have the best design in the world but if you supply it to a printer in a low resolution then there's nothing we can do to make it look good. You'd be amazed how often we get sent files in low resolution and/or small image size

Ha,

and you'd be suprised how often a client will forward a low res proof to a printer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back