CD Artwork design...bidness (1 Viewer)

avernus

Hey,
could anyone tell me exactly what printers require for CD artwork?
Just for a booklet, backliner and cd label. also..when they talk about bleed, what specifically are they asking for? I thought I knew..and now im not so sure :confused:

avernus said:
Hey,
could anyone tell me exactly what printers require for CD artwork?
Just for a booklet, backliner and cd label. also..when they talk about bleed, what specifically are they asking for? I thought I knew..and now im not so sure :confused:

Somewhere on Trends website they have excelent specs for print. Or drop them a mail and ask, they're dead helpful there.

Okay, printers will reauire 3 quark documents. One for the booklet, one for the backliner and one for the CD face itself. They will require CMYK 300dpi res EPS image files of all pictures used and a copy of all fonts used too.

Bleed is ussually 3mm, this means that rather then your artwrok for the 120mm x 120mm booklet being exatly 120mm x 120mm it will be 123mm x123mm, the extra 3mm is so when the covers are being cut down there is a margin for the gullitine slipping, the guiltine operator being hungover, the guilitine not working ver well etc, etc, etc

Article be the clever and handsome fiachra and tony designers here...

http://www.thingsyouremissing.com/php/user_system.php?action=view_resource&resource_id=7

oki..thats cool. thanks :)
but tell me this..when you say"Bleed is ussually 3mm, this means that rather then your artwrok for the 120mm x 120mm booklet being exatly 120mm x 120mm it will be 123mm x123mm, the extra 3mm is so when the covers are being cut down there is a margin for the gullitine slipping, the guiltine operator being hungover, the guilitine not working"

do you mean the art work is 123x123 or that you leave 3mm blank space at each side?

also with qxpress, do you set up the document at 123mm X 123mm or no?

:)

avernus said:
do you mean the art work is 123x123 or that you leave 3mm blank space at each side?

nah, what ya do is make sure your image, or background colour or whatever carrys on for 3mm off the edge of the document.

If you had it blank (white) and the cutting slipped then you have a wee white line, if you have it your image or colour, then no one notices.

Think cutting out a square out of a sheet of paper, if the sicssors slip you get white little edges etc, etc, etc,

also with qxpress, do you set up the document at 123mm X 123mm or no?

Nope make it 120mm x 120mm and just make sure your design carrys on over the edge of the document by 3mm all around. Easy!

thanks dood, yo is a star :D

if the internet allowed me to hand you some chocolate, I would.

avernus said:
if the internet allowed me to hand you some chocolate, I would.

if I could eat said choclate I'd look like this

hs_sjokolademat.JPG

best o' luck with the artworking!

lets imagine a man installed a 'free' version of Xpress 4.1 for windows.
then imagine the man received a pop-up message saying "this version of Quark Xpress cannot be used with this keyboard. [86]"

what could this man do in this 'hypothetical' situation?

god im pathetically full of problems today.

avernus said:
lets imagine a man installed a 'free' version of Xpress 4.1 for windows.
then imagine the man received a pop-up message saying "this version of Quark Xpress cannot be used with this keyboard. [86]"

what could this man do in this 'hypothetical' situation?

i came across this once before, not sure of the exact solution, but it is an American version of Quark looking for an American keyboard.... I THINK you can got to some control panael, or whatever, and change your keyboard preference to USA stylee... I THINK...

I don't ever use PCs so I'm not really up on how they work...

ya so my version of xpress is not a runner. just wont boot.
what are your thoughts on a customer/designer supplying an illustrator file instead?

the most important things to remember when designing in illustrator are:

1. Make sure any images imported into the file are cmyk BEFORE you import them.

2. allow for bleed, at least 3mm, i usually put in 5mm to be totally safe

3. create outlines of all text used in the document before sending to printer

4. put in crop marks and fold marks

5. Don't have text / logos too close to the finished cut edge, i usually keep all these at leats 5mm in from the cutting edge

6. Save as an eps (if using a very recent version of illustrator, save it in version 7 as not everyone has the newer versions)

ok cheers ;)

when you say "create outlines of all text used in the document before sending to printer" what exactly do you mean?

once you've proof read the job and are happy to send it to print, go to 'select all' then once you've selected everything go to 'create outlines' and this converts the fonts to part of the picture so then there should be no font problems which is usually the biggest cause of delays when printers get files off designers who are unsure what they're doing with illustrator or quark. There are literally thousands of fonts out there and no-one has them all so don't take any chances.

if it's an outline eps then there should be no need to send fonts with the job, however once it's outlined it can't be changed easily so keep a copy of the un-outlined file on your machine to be safe in case you need to make alterations at a future date.

if it's a normal eps then you'll have to include the fonts when sending the disk to the printer as he may not have the fonts used in the document.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back