Catholic Church and Child abuse scandal (1 Viewer)

it's hard to stomach how the christian brothers (do they exist as a legal entity? if so under what category? religious congregation?) can continue to exist in ireland, given the history involved. any other group which have been responsible for a fraction of what is accepted they did couldn't continue.

In the case, for example, of Bishop Eamon Casey – the former Bishop of Galway – he sure was at fault: but Annie Murphy was a seductive and captivating beauty, sexually experienced when she encountered him, and, as she later wrote in her own autobiography, determined to have a child by someone just like Fr Eamon. He was the powerless one once the bedroom door was shut.
just like those damn sexy kids

There are Nonces everywhere. The Church was naive in its view of Sex; their belief was that a Man can only love one Person. Paedos are devious and manipulated the Hierarchy.

The Church, like most things in Ireland, is run by catchpennys.

That's the old 'bad apple' excuse. It just isn't tenable in the light of this report.

Dude, abuse by Priests was revealed FIFTEEN Years Ago. People expected the worst and got it.

I'm not sure I get your point. How does the fact that abuse was revealed 15 years ago make your assertion that (paraphrasing) this is just a case of a few nonces pulling the wool over the eyes of the silly ol' hierarchy any more credible?

I cannot believe she got paid to write that! What an absolute disgrace, a terrible and closed-minded piece of writing that basically says 'well if I didn't see it, then it didn't happen, and I couldn't comment anyway' even though these reports have confirmed what we all know - that thousands of innocent children were taken advantage of and abused in the most despicable ways. It makes me sick.
The whole thing is just so upsetting to people without direct experience of this - I truly cannot imagine the horrors that the victims went through. Their entire lives must have been so filled with hurt and pain. It's so so sad.

61iNfXDPB9L._SS500_.jpg

there is more to this than just the church.

state collusion and a negligent general public

It was an Ireland where the Church ruled with an iron fist; people were probably very scared of speaking out. And when they did, according to this report they were simply not listened to. The fact that only the Rosminians were to some degree forthcoming about what happened, and that 99% of the places involved will not apologise for what happened shows how ingrained the silence and secrecy is.

I agree. The State's failure to deal with this issue is a disgrace. But it happens in ALL nations; eg. Baby P.

The Baby P case is about parental physical abuse - equally horrific but different.
Paedophilia is in every country, but we're talking about Ireland here, and the specific religious, social and economic reasons that created this type of situation whereby children could be abused by their guardians and yet never have their abusers brought to justice.

The Baby P case is about parental physical abuse - equally horrific but different.
Paedophilia is in every country, but we're talking about Ireland here, and the specific religious, social and economic reasons that created this type of situation whereby children could be abused by their guardians and yet never have their abusers brought to justice.

Yes, a red herring. That English child wasn't the victim of an organisation effectively devoted to violent abuse of children under the unquestioned cloak of religious authority.

Are there as many cases of this in other catholic countries? or was this down to the way Ireland was run? De Valera has got a lot to answer for.

The entire country has a lot to answer for, people knew what was happening but it's easier to turn a blind eye when those in charge say its OK, these places weren't far off from concentration camps, medical trials and all.

Over 10 of my Dad's school friends were sent there (some as young as 7) for mitching, one was sent for stealing two apples, he was beaten every single day and put in a tiny press when he got anything wrong, it was dark, cramped and stank of piss.
Judges would be told there was so many places free in the school so the first few kids that day were fucked, didn't matter what they'd done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back