Cat Power plays Douglas Hyde Gallery (2 Viewers)

I COMPLETELY FORGOT THIS WAS ON TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coast to coast said:
I COMPLETELY FORGOT THIS WAS ON TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woops!

fantastic show.

yeh i liked that....norma jean love james dean.

thought you didn't get a ticket beak?

anyway, this was absolutely great. she's got one of those voices that could sing the phonebook and make it sound deadly.

A kind soul sorted me and the dirty weed with a couple of tickets.Really looking forward to the new Cat Power album now, the new piano stuff was great. Nice version of 'Wild Is The Wind' yesterday too.

Was nobody else just a teensy bit bored? I thought her voice was just spectacular and was glad to have seen her (my first time), but her total disenagement and refusal to allow the audience to partake (by playing over spaces between songs so nobody could clap) just made it a little relentless. Also, everything seemed to slip into a monotonous rhythm after a little while.
It was heartbreaking to hear her say, 'thank you, sorry, thank you, sorry...' as she made her way from the stage.
I don't know, I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think it was that great. Maybe I'm just getting OLD.

ya it was a bit sleepy at times. I think there were about 3 or 4 songs that were amazing and then the rest were just fine. her voice was very haunting and the sound was great, but the whole thing was pretty uncomfortable and intense. which is cool...but she was just so on edge. I dont like when people run songs into each other.

still I really liked it and thought she was insane but brilliant. her songs are fab and I love her voice. her exit freaked me out though.

Psychotic no 2 said:
Was nobody else just a teensy bit bored? I thought her voice was just spectacular and was glad to have seen her (my first time), but her total disenagement and refusal to allow the audience to partake (by playing over spaces between songs so nobody could clap) just made it a little relentless. Also, everything seemed to slip into a monotonous rhythm after a little while.
It was heartbreaking to hear her say, 'thank you, sorry, thank you, sorry...' as she made her way from the stage.
I don't know, I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think it was that great. Maybe I'm just getting OLD.
i didn't even see you there. i was totally glad i brought my knitting. the woman is clearly mad as a brush.

Super Dexta said:
i didn't even see you there. i was totally glad i brought my knitting. the woman is clearly mad as a brush.

haha yeah, doing that crazy thing with her feet and then giggling at them.

In conclusion: b0nKaZ!!!!!!!!!11

the dirty weed said:
haha yeah, doing that crazy thing with her feet and then giggling at them.

In conclusion: b0nKaZ!!!!!!!!!11

although, she was much more nuts in belfast a couple of years ago after loads of JD and some pills.

on a different note...more gigs in nice places, says i.

I agree with what was said about caveat emptor... I saw her about 15 months ago in NYC and she played all the (new or at least unreleased) songs run into one another in on her silvertone guitar and piano in an intimate non-traditional nvironment (it was in a church), so I knew exactly what I was getting and I fucking loved it. The only thing I woulda liked was maybe one or two songs from Moon Pix but I imagine they might be difficult to pull off without the particular band back up of Dirty Three.

As for calling someone insane cos she stamped her feet in time to music???? Thats just ridiculous, trying to make up reasons to legitimately call her mad! Not that she isn't a bit odd in terms of whats expected of a musician, but I don't think any of that was on show at this gig.

And yeh, it was intense but I hardly think thats a bad characteristic to have in a gig. As someone said it did perhaps get a bit samey when they're all new songs but I still really really enjoyed it- but its more the unfamiliarity of the material than the performances themselves.

swingkid said:
Why do you's say that, based on that gig?
she just came off as a few wasps short of a picnic. the mad dancing feet, the saying random things like "it's not wet in here" and "reverb helps my.. self.. relax", the nonstop playing, the apologising, the inability to play one song from beginning to end.. etc. not saying i didn't enjoy it -- her voice is one of the amazingest things ever -- but yeah, i was glad i had my knitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back