Casual anti-Americanism (2 Viewers)

jane said:
Better go put on some makeup before I go for my run, so I can fulfil my double duty of being part of a sport as well as being careful not to undermine my femininity.

Take a leaf from Fatima Whitbreads book.

Shes once...twice...three times a shotputter.

_39288173_fatima1987_300x300.jpg

Michelle Aboro:

One of the best female boxers Europe has ever seen, who was dropped by her UK promoter because she refused to 'sex up', pose for Playboy, or go back in the closet. Moved to the continent not 'with the blessing' of her former coach, but because no one wanted to promote a dyke:

michelle.gif

That's where 'women should look good while playing sports' gets ya: a one-way ticket to a fucking glass ceiling that even a pro boxer can't punch her way through.

http://www.aknockoutdoc.com/html/synopsis.html

Martina Navratilova. Also not straight, not a pinup, one of the best tennis players ever -- and, mind, in a sport where women's appearances are a frequent source of comment.

Not everyone likes sports for the same reason. I prefer sports that don't waste energy on being 'sexy'. Some of them end up looking kinda sexy anyway (I think skiing kinda is), but doesn't have to be a requirement.

Lefty Frizzell said:
Sharon Davies had a sort of threatening beauty.

Hard to believe shes the daughter of Dickie Davies.

::clef:: "She's got Dickie Davis Eyes"::clef::

petethedrummer said:
I was just pointing out that I believe to get people to think critically about anything and not repeat fashionable mantras would be extreeeeeeeeemely difficult.

Anywhere in any of my posts did I ever suggest it was something that was easy? Did it appear that I have not thought for myself? It's easy to accuse someone of just spouting fashionable mantras when you're trying to avoid seeing their perspective. Nice work. You just proved your own point.

I think, at the end of the day, the big question being asked here is if Jane R______ would look good with a John O'Leary haircut?

billygannon said:
Well, the social geography of GAA is a lot more favourable than you've made out.
London played in four consecutive All-Ireland finals between 1900 and 1903.
Therefore it's safe to assume that the London players at this time had sufficient space and time to train and actually get to a level where they could get to the final.
It's also worth noting that there were a significant number of Irish people doing pretty okay for themselves in foreign countries, such as the US and England, when modern organised sports were being spread across the world. Indeed, a lot of these Irish people would have had plenty of land and time to go and practice and play hurling and Gaelic football.
And the Irish diaspora was not only in Australia, the UK and the US. There were several Irish people in Spain, France, Germany and other countries around the world.
So, essentially, there wasn't that much to stop them from introducing these games to people in other countries.

I'll take your point about dominant countries having the land resources to introduce their games on the subordinate countries. But it's worth noting that the only team to win the football World Cup that is from the British Empire is, well, England .

These things I did not know.

I think it might also be useful, though, to look at what aspects of Irish culture the economically successful people who were part of this diaspora were able or willing to promote, and whether the London example was part of a trend, or was actually an isolated one. I'm not suggesting that you're implying that the uptake of a sport is a simple thing, or that the existence of London's strong team is to be dismissed, but really just looking for other angles to explore, not so much for why GAA didn't get taken up, but why football did. I mean, if we look at baseball, for example, it's played by Latin Americans (whence many of the Major Leagues recruit) and very actively by a lot of people in Japan, whereas American power and influence have a much wider scope.

However, it might ALSO be handy to point out that baseball is not unrelated to BOTH cricket AND one of the GAA's official sports: rounders. So actually, GAA did catch on in its own way in other countries, just not hurling or football, and not necessarily in a 'pure' form that would make it compatible to playing international matches.

jane said:
These things I did not know.

I think it might also be useful, though, to look at what aspects of Irish culture the economically successful people who were part of this diaspora were able or willing to promote, and whether the London example was part of a trend, or was actually an isolated one. I'm not suggesting that you're implying that the uptake of a sport is a simple thing, or that the existence of London's strong team is to be dismissed, but really just looking for other angles to explore, not so much for why GAA didn't get taken up, but why football did. I mean, if we look at baseball, for example, it's played by Latin Americans (whence many of the Major Leagues recruit) and very actively by a lot of people in Japan, whereas American power and influence have a much wider scope.

However, it might ALSO be handy to point out that baseball is not unrelated to BOTH cricket AND one of the GAA's official sports: rounders. So actually, GAA did catch on in its own way in other countries, just not hurling or football, and not necessarily in a 'pure' form that would make it compatible to playing international matches.

Well, the keen-eyed among you would know that the GAA also administers handball - which is played in many countries.

Essentially, it begs the question why they administer handball and rounders at an international level, but couldn't be arsed with hurling and gaelic football.

Promoting it internationally doesn't affect it locally in the slightest. In fact, it will have a massively positive affect.

All the GAA have to do is give impetus to associations in other countries (such as Switzerland or France or wherever) to compete at a higher level. Perhaps the top two teams from the European cup could compete in the All-Ireland?

Is that going to happen? I hope so.

Italy recently joined the Five Nations rubgy tournament and this has proven to be a huge boost to the sport there. Their international team, although weak at the moment, is getting a lot better.

But I think there is an element, and a pretty vocal and influential element, in the GAA who firmly believe that Irish sports should only be played by Irish people - which is jingoistic, and xenophobic, and, well, a tad racist.

billygannon said:
But I think there is an element, and a pretty vocal and influential element, in the GAA who firmly believe that Irish sports should only be played by Irish people - which is jingoistic, and xenophobic, and, well, a tad racist.

I was just using the rounders example to point out that maybe, at least in the US, these national sports mutated into something else because at the time, international competition just wasn't feasible. I mean, ice hockey derives from curling, but the Boston Bruins couldn't well compete in a curling competition. I left out handball because I just forgot.

I share your curiosity as to why hurling and football weren't taken up in the same way that handball and rounders derivatives did, I'm just throwing out ideas. I haven't really paid attention to a lot of GAA-related talk, so you probably know more than I do about it, but I was under the impression that the controversy -- which often escalates into jingoism -- was about the proper function of Croke Park, and what sports should be played there , rather than who should play Irish sports. But again, I could be wrong.

ETA: Re: my lame attempt at anonymity: thanks, dude.

jane said:
I was just using the rounders example to point out that maybe, at least in the US, these national sports mutated into something else because at the time, international competition just wasn't feasible. I mean, ice hockey derives from curling, but the Boston Bruins couldn't well compete in a curling competition. I left out handball because I just forgot.

I share your curiosity as to why hurling and football weren't taken up in the same way that handball and rounders derivatives did, I'm just throwing out ideas. I haven't really paid attention to a lot of GAA-related talk, so you probably know more than I do about it, but I was under the impression that the controversy -- which often escalates into jingoism -- was about the proper function of Croke Park, and what sports should be played there , rather than who should play Irish sports. But again, I could be wrong.

ETA: Re: my lame attempt at anonymity: thanks, dude.

I dunno. Sorry about the rants about the GAA. It's just a bit of a laugh.
I just think it reflects a lot of attitudes that are very common in Ireland. I mean it's not just Croke Park where the controversy lies... there's even this ridiculous deal they have with O'Neill's and Azzuri around kit manufacturing.
It'll take a while to change, but it is doing it I suppose.

Anyway, got a bit heated about the topic of this thread. Have been thinking of my nationality and all that. And I'm tired. Tired of working. Tired of people. Tired, tired, tired.

Here's John O'L____. He hasn't changed his haircut in 800 years:
oleary.jpg

jane said:
Sorry, I didn't know there was something wrong with butch women playing sports. My bad.

Better go put on some makeup before I go for my run, so I can fulfil my double duty of being part of a sport as well as being careful not to undermine my femininity.
AH HERE... SEE WHAT THE GAA HAS DONE?? I'M NOT TALKIN' ABOUT BUTCH WOMEN.. I'M TALKIN' ABOUT THE MOVEMENTS AN ATHLETE DOES WHILE PLAYING A SPORT. THE STYLE AND FUN THEY CAN HAVE WHILE PLAYING IT. ANYONE WATCHIN' THE SPORT WILL PICK THESE THINGS UP EVEN IF THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT THEM.

LIKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WATCHING AN RTE DRAMA AND A BBC DRAMA.

REMEMBER THE MID 90'S KNICKS??= NOT SEXY
THE SHOWTIME LAKERS??= SEXY

IT'S NOTHIN TO DO WITH THE SEXUAL APPEAL OF THE PLAYERS THEMSELVES... AH FUCK IT.

THE G.A.A. IS LIKE ANY OLD INSTITUTION. RUN BY FOOLS WHO DON'T SEE ANTHING LONG TERM OR BEYOND THEIR OWN TERRITORY. THE APPEAL OF A SPORT TO THE PUBLIC IS.... AH FUCK IT AGAIN.

IF YOU THINK I'M AGAINST ANYONE PLAYING ANY SPORT YOU'RE CRAZY.
AND I'LL REPEAT MY STANCE ON THE KIT. FUCKING DREADFUL.

IT'S TOO NICE OUT TO BE TALKIN' ABOUT PALE LEGS/BUTCH WOMEN/OLD MEN AND A SPORT THAT SCARES EVERYONE WHEN THEY SEE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME. YOU SHOULD SEE HOW CANADIANS(OF ALL PEOPLE) LOOK AT HURLING. IN SHOCK. "SO YOU CAN HIT ANYONE PRETTY MUCH ANYWHERE EH?" "WELL....YES. YES YOU CAN."

BALLAHQUANNDO!!!

billygannon said:
Promoting it internationally doesn't affect it locally in the slightest.
Obviously. What I'm trying to get at is I just don't think there is any interest among GAA grassroots in making the games international. They support their local clubs and counties because they are personally involved, and more often than not know the players. Why should the GAA administration spend their resources on something their members don't have any interest in?
If the European clubs got together and campaigned to be included as a county in the club championship (like the way Ireland is a minor county in English cricket) I'm sure they'd find support within the GAA, but it's not going to happen the other way around and I don't see why it should

Y'know Billy I don't really read the newspapers or anything, but I've never come across this. Are you sure you're not reading something into the anti-RUC thing that's not really there?

egg_ said:
Hehe living abroad does that to you dude :) When I lived in the UK I'd go through phases of national pride and national embarassment ... it was such a relief when I came home for where I'm from to no longer be relevant

Ah! It's not an issue over here at all. If anything, it's a bit of an advantage being Irish here.
The bloke I work for is from an Ulster Protestant background, and he's incredibly sound. Then the guy who sits next to me is a big Celtic fan from Glasgow, and he's very cool too. Nobody really gives a shit where you're from.
But that's the nature of the place I suppose. Only thing that matters in London is money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back