Casual anti-Americanism (1 Viewer)

billygannon said:
All the GAA have to do is give impetus to associations in other countries (such as Switzerland or France or wherever) to compete at a higher level. Perhaps the top two teams from the European cup could compete in the All-Ireland?

um... they have tried that.
obviously the compromised rules in gaelic and the irish national hurling team plays scotland in a shinty/hurling mix.

anyway - the gaa set up the "nicky rackard cup" which is basically a lower level hurling tournament, for the promotion of hurling amoung the weaker teams. anyway - as well as the irish counties there's a swiss, french, warwickshire, and london team. and london even won it last year!

i don't really think a volunteer organsiation is ever going to be able to compete with soccer or rugby though do you? i mean, they struggle enough here.

But I think there is an element, and a pretty vocal and influential element, in the GAA who firmly believe that Irish sports should only be played by Irish people - which is jingoistic, and xenophobic, and, well, a tad racist.

i don't know where this came from, i don't know anyone like this and i've never heard anyone with this opinion. there were issues with members of security forces thing, but other than that i think people in the GAA would be delighted with anyone playing GAA.

also - regarding goverment funding -> the GAA has got more funding from the goverment in the last ten years than rugby and soccer because its proactive with its initiatives. if you took out the Croke park, Semple stadium and Pairc Oi Caoibh building projects the GAA would have gotten less than rugby and soccer. When the landsdowne refurbishment is done, the goverment will have spent roughly the same amount on Gaa as rugby and soccer since 1980.

anyway, enough of this, the tractor will overheat.

sorry for hijacking your thread me love. :D

#10-7 said:
anyway - the gaa set up the "nicky rackard cup" which is basically a lower level hurling tournament, for the promotion of hurling amoung the weaker teams. anyway - as well as the irish counties there's a swiss, french, warwickshire, and london team. and london even won it last year!

There's no Swiss or French teams in the NR cup. Warwickshire yes while London have moved up to the next level. Prior to that the weaker counties played in the lowest division of the league (and still do) so they were getting some games.

jane said:
Anywhere in any of my posts did I ever suggest it was something that was easy? Did it appear that I have not thought for myself? It's easy to accuse someone of just spouting fashionable mantras when you're trying to avoid seeing their perspective. Nice work. You just proved your own point.

I wasn't having a go at you. I was having a go at lazy minded people...anyways,I don't get on here enough to have a debate with anyone...i think i'll go outside and lie down on the grass.

I'm against abortion threads. I'm pro life threads.

Ahhhhhhh.....life.....

monkey.jpg

pennyfarthing.jpg

4869.jpg

Brits out.

Sorry, i thought we were just looking for excuses to bump old threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back