Cancelled (2 Viewers)

BTW on the broader subject of "Cancelled" I think this article contains some interesting thoughts on the evolution of slurs/taboo words Give Up Seventy Percent Of The Way Through The Hyperstitious Slur Cascade
I was in the Late Late Show audience for this

A clip is shown of Jackass in Japan.

Pat: So how did the Japs take to you?

A look of surprise on each of the faces of the jackass guys

One of Them (sorry I don't know their names): Can you call them that?

Pat [trying to dig himself out of a hole]: Yeah sure we are all Micks and ye are yanks !!!

the first time I saw this was on a compilation of GAA clips from over the years. Yes - RTE rebroadcast it.
In fairness Pat Spillane is going well until 0:49 when he has a jaw dropping car crash moment.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can't believe Spillane survived at RTE after this.

digression:
for years I only ever heard of Joe Brolly and had never actually seen him as I have little interest in GAA football.
I actually thought he might be a comedian or Ross O' Carroll-Kelly character from what I heard of him and I wasn't sure he was a real person.

I actually didn't know Japs (or J*ps) counted as a slur until I read that article, and I certainly wouldn't have batted an eyelid at anyone using it in the 90s

Different places place different weight on different words all the same.

I could say to you that you're a great cunt altogether and you might be fine with it. If you were scottish you might be delighted.

But if you said it to an American ... yikes

Different places place different weight on different words all the same.

I could say to you that you're a great cunt altogether and you might be fine with it. If you were scottish you might be delighted.

But if you said it to an American ... yikes
Still not a great word, but I think Japs hits harder in the US because they have a deeper history with it
Internment and all that

5a29aa45190000492c035245.jpeg

Also, the word "ladies" is not very appreciated when addressing women. Or some women anyways.

I got schooled on that this week.

Read this story and instead of forming an opinion, I asked some women I know.
They do NOT like the term.

Which is bad news for me, cos I've been using it. Like quite a bit.

Daily Mail? It's possible the whole article is a lie, right? Did the women you know have a reason, or is it a gut reaction against the-kind-of-person-who-says-"ladies"?
I didn't see it in the Mail - it was the first result today when I looked for the story

This is part of their response

1680885942138.png

Like I say it at workouts and races and so on. Like if a pair of women pass on a run me, I'll say "Good work, ladies" that sort of thing.
It's not wholly positive, is what I'm getting.

Dmitri Martin probably put it best several years ago when he said that you can make any sentence sound vaguely creepy by just adding the word ladies at the end of it.

Example: “Help, I’m stuck down a well and I can’t get out……..Ladies”

Well, I'm switching to 'guys' or nothing

Being over 50 is already kind of creepy, I don't need the added alert level

But I've definitely heard women use it constantly
"Aw, you guys" etc.

I mean whatever people want to be called is fine with me, just slippier than it used to be. Poor me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back