Cancelled (1 Viewer)

Would it be a bit of legalese that is thrown in when a case isn't successful to stop the counter case?
No idea

This guy never wants to see the inside of a court room again, I reckon. He's somewhat lucky to be free.

Maybe I'm just not used to these cases being so, I dunno, emotionless?

"did not say a bad word about him"?

Perhaps I'm focusing on the wrong thing here.

She didn’t “take a case”. He was prosecuted.
ok

well, that's what was confusing me then

The reports kept calling her "the complainant"
I figured that she made a complaint about him to the Gards which got him up in court

So I guess I just don't know enough law terms

I mean I’m assuming he was prosecuted based on information that came to the cops’ attention and she was there as a witness.

It's Israel themselves that have always pushed the religion/national identity as one, line.

Maybe so but I really wouldn't think that is anything new or unique to Israel or it might even be a little ironic to criticise them for it. This map is dated but shows majority religion by political territory.

FT_15.06.12religiousGroups_Alargest640px2.png

Israel really is tiny in the greater scheme of things currently about quarter the size of this island
Christians and Muslims combined are roughly 52% of the global population Jews maybe 0.2 or so

I think what @rettucs was getting at is that any criticism of the country is construed as anti-Semitic. Israel is kinda unique in how closely its religion and ethnicity and national identity are tied together.
more than that. They are the ones who push that line and they do it to hide behind it. They think they can get away with any shite they want and not get called out for it, cos anyone that calls them out gets labelled anti-Semite.

Look at Roger Waters. Hes the furthest thing from anti-Semite but hes public enemy number 1 right now. For trying to do the right thing.

It would be like Italians thinking they are above reproach by labelling anyone having a go at them, 'anti-catholic'. Or folks in Saudi Arabia doing likewise by labelling people 'islamaphobes'.

But no other country that is central to any other religion, does that.

more than that. They are the ones who push that line and they do it to hide behind it. They think they can get away with any shite they want and not get called out for it, cos anyone that calls them out gets labelled anti-Semite.

Look at Roger Waters. Hes the furthest thing from anti-Semite but hes public enemy number 1 right now. For trying to do the right thing.

It would be like Italians thinking they are above reproach by labelling anyone having a go at them, 'anti-catholic'. Or folks in Saudi Arabia doing likewise by labelling people 'islamaphobes'.

But no other country that is central to any other religion, does that.

It’s used to their advantage, but it does speak to the foundation myth of their state, and the whole concept of Zionism, and I’d argue it’s a little different than the religion/nation mix in other states

Basically the ideal of Israel was a homeland for the Jews, where they would be safe, where they would never again be a persecuted minority. Some of the early 19c Zionist’s didn’t even focus on the holy land/historical Israel as that place - they would have been happy with a state in Africa or Europe. Obviously this concept gained particular urgency from the 1930s onwards

So essentially there is no Israel without Jews, as the sole reason for the existence of Israel is as a home land for the Jewish race.

They play this card politically, but it’s based on something a little deeper than a political ploy

It’s used to their advantage, but it does speak to the foundation myth of their state, and the whole concept of Zionism, and I’d argue it’s a little different than the religion/nation mix in other states

Basically the ideal of Israel was a homeland for the Jews, where they would be safe, where they would never again be a persecuted minority. Some of the early 19c Zionist’s didn’t even focus on the holy land/historical Israel as that place - they would have been happy with a state in Africa or Europe. Obviously this concept gained particular urgency from the 1930s onwards

So essentially there is no Israel without Jews, as the sole reason for the existence of Israel is as a home land for the Jewish race.

They play this card politically, but it’s based on something a little deeper than a political ploy

stalin was kind enough to give them a backup israel — 837 jewish inhabitants as of 2021...

Can someone help me out on this

So the guy is acquitted
They call the girl "the complainant" - which is fair enough. Her story is that all this stuff happened. His story is it didn't. Fine.

Then it goes on to say "In their closing speeches, both counsel noted that the woman doesn’t have a grudge against the man and did not say a bad word about him in her evidence."

Like how do we square this circle?
She hasn't got a thing against him, except bringing a case (which is her perfect right to do) years after the fact.
And not a bad word to say except "he defiled me as a child". Which seems really bad.

I'm not taking any view on the events (other than I reckon her story is very likely more truthful than his)
But why take a case against someone who you have no ill-will toward over something that happened forever ago?
Why put yourself through it - never mind him?

Am I just a dinosaur?
who is "man"?

it really would be in their (the religion) own best interest to have separation between nationality and religion because, as it is, they are forcing people into choosing whether to be anti-genocide or anti-semite.

Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck what religion anyone is. If you're a genocidal cunt, you're a genocidal cunt, regardless of where you go at the weekend to practice your faith.

So you're saying that Israel behaves as it does because it (as a political/military entity) actually believes that the only reason people might be pissed off with it is anti-semitism? That explains a lot of its behaviour

Last edited:
So you're saying that Israel behaves as it does because it (as a political/military entity) actually believes that the only people might be pissed off with it is anti-semitism? That explains a lot of its behaviour

I'd say you can't fully understand Israel's behaviour without taking that mindset into account. As I said, there is no Israel without the Jews. The identification with the religious/manifest destiny aspects of Judaism/Irsael have come more to the front over time - many of Israels founders were leftist, secular Jews. But they saw how being secular and assimilated didn't prevent the german and austrian jews being exterminated for their cultural heritage.

Theirs also a fairly strong sense of siege mentally at play also, which has been reinforced by constant conflict either with Palestinians or major wars with neighboring states.

The disproportionate response thing is also baked into that mindset - we will not be threatened or made feel unsafe in our homeland.

So you're saying that Israel behaves as it does because it (as a political/military entity) actually believes that the only reason people might be pissed off with it is anti-semitism? That explains a lot of its behaviour

Oh for sure
I understand it as "We have been persecuted and murdered and moved on for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. We have been subject to genocide. We have now staked this place as ours, where we can finally have a safe place for our people. We will protect it with our lives. If you want to deny us this, we know whose side you are on."
Words aside, this is more of a feeling for Jewish people.
The feeling of being hunted and never being safe or having a safe place. It is trauma and what comes on the other side of trauma.

Kinda like us and the Brits, if the Brits were basically all of the rest of humanity.
And it was permanently 1921 or 1972.

I'm not an advocate for this position, but I do understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back