Can you get high on chillis? (1 Viewer)

flashback

Tonight, the missus and myself went to our local Thai place, and I think they got a new cook because the food was fairly jumping with the old espicey chillies. Like, it was insano hot. Sweating bullets hot.

And, I sort of noticed that we were both acting a little euphoric, talking a little too fast.. and I realised that I was a high. Quite high actually. I had drunk a beer, but this wasn't beer. I wasn't actually hallucinating, but I wasn;t a million miles off, it was more a gently speedy / flipping through a lot of thoughts thing.

Then over about an hour most of it wore off, and I had a bit of a come down, nothing too marked though.

We eat a lot of spices, the pair of us. I have cut down a lot on the salt in my food by using crushed chillies, but you tend to make things hotter and hotter. So neither of us are strangers to it.

I dunno.
Is that possible? A sort of endorphin buzz thing? I thought I have had endorphin buzzes before, nothing like this though. Or was there just gear in me dinner?

bollix. Cant edit.

Just reading the wiki thing about Chillis, no mention of getting wasted off them, but they are a member of the Solanaceae, the Nightshades, who contain tropane alkaloids... and coke is a tropane alkaloid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

This is all new to me.
The plot thickens.

i recently used chillis i took from a jar in a stir fry i was making and i thought they were pimentos and i used loads. and then i thought i was bleeding out my throat.

that wasnt fun at all.

that doesnt answer your question at all though.

maybe you sweated out so much fluid so fast you became dehydrated and light headed?

no?

ok then.

I heard auld dears in the likes of Mexico and that chew chillis the same way you'd chew 'baccy,for the buzz like.

i remember a huge thread about this on stonerrock.com many years ago

they seemed to think you could as far as i can remember

Jaysus.
So this is common knowledge then?
Look at sean C there, pouring scorn on my ignorance.
That's going down in the grudge book. When I come into thumped wearing my black Matrix clothes with Glock 9mms to settle the score he'll be sorry.

Here, so, is it from the peppers themselves, or is it your body reacting to the peppers?
You know what I mean, like is it an endorphin thing or is there some compound in the chilis making you get all tripped out.
Because I was high for a fair while there. It seemed more like a chemical high.

When I search the web I keep getting shit about schools named Chili High, or millions of links to shit looking restaurants named Chilis.

Munch, stick up that thread if you have a link.
My googling powers have gone to shit lately.

I didn't mean to be scornful.
I just find it surprising that chili lovers don't know that, considering that I know that and I have ZERO tolerance for spicy stuff.

I do believe that it's how the body reacts to them, the more tolerance you have to chili's, the bigger the bodies reaction to them, in terms of highness.

Jaysus.
So this is common knowledge then?
Look at sean C there, pouring scorn on my ignorance.
That's going down in the grudge book. When I come into thumped wearing my black Matrix clothes with Glock 9mms to settle the score he'll be sorry.

Here, so, is it from the peppers themselves, or is it your body reacting to the peppers?
You know what I mean, like is it an endorphin thing or is there some compound in the chilis making you get all tripped out.
Because I was high for a fair while there. It seemed more like a chemical high.

When I search the web I keep getting shit about schools named Chili High, or millions of links to shit looking restaurants named Chilis.

Munch, stick up that thread if you have a link.
My googling powers have gone to shit lately.

it was about 7 years ago! seriously, stonerrock.com....
i'm sure you can find a better source than those dopes!

I didn't mean to be scornful.
I just find it surprising that chili lovers don't know that, considering that I know that and I have ZERO tolerance for spicy stuff.

I do believe that it's how the body reacts to them, the more tolerance you have to chili's, the bigger the bodies reaction to them, in terms of highness.

Ahhh the seaner.

So hold on. The more tolerance you have to chilis, the more of a reaction you can get?
Mad.
That makes sense for me though. I would put chilis in loads of food. And that Thai food was blowing my head off.

But you'd think it was the other way around. Or maybe not.

I have a theory. So, I mean, alright. Like when you take a dump after eating tons of Chilis it burns the hole off you.
So, that means that the chemical, capsaicin or whatever its called, keeps burning all the way through you.
Which means when its in your stomach its just sitting there, burning away, and maybe thats why the sort of trippy feeling lasts for so long. The endorphin things are just constantly getting triggered. Its not just your mouth getting the signal.

I wonder does that mean, if you weren't into spicy, you could take a capsule of it so you wouldn't taste it, and by the time its in your stomach you wont care, and then you get high anyway?

Its not a bad high.
Its a bit like strong bud maybe.

My understanding of it is that the chemical in the chilis causes the body some pain
but it's kind of like a 'fake' pain or whatever and that the endorphins that are
released are meant to combat the pain.

But because it's not 'proper' pain the endorphins kind of bypass it resulting in a rush.

I'm probably completely wrong and have no actual idea what fake pain is.

I love spicy food, buh.

My understanding of it is that the chemical in the chilis causes the body some pain
but it's kind of like a 'fake' pain or whatever and that the endorphins that are

But because it's not 'proper' pain the endorphins kind of bypass it resulting in a rush.

I love spicy food, buh.

yeah, that's what seems to be the case. But I was wondering how it managed to go on for so long, long after my mouth stopped burning, and be such a hard hit.

There must be receptors in your stomach that are still registering the pain but not letting you know about it.

And then your body in the mean time is horsing shit loads of endorphins out, and its just piling up.
Here's something about it:
The result is concentrated Capsaicin extract, which when smoked with a vaporizer will give quite an amazing high. It relaxes you a lot and gives you quite a nice trip.
http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.7.23.225645.230.html

It is quite a nice trip. Even when it sneaks up on you by surprise.

Fed and tripped for $15.
Keen value.

I love spicy food, buh.

thats it. chillis and certain combinations of spices fool the body into thinking the intense response of the taste buds is pain and so massive amounts of endorphins (and also the neurotransmitter anandamide: similar in chemical structure and function as THC) are released, the body's natural painkillers, which stimulate the principle opioid receptors. when one is in actual physical pain, the effects of these are not generally noticed in terms of a "high". however, when there is no actual pain, the effect of these are felt as perception and mood altering.

i've had experiences with chilli hot and spicey indian cuisine, particularly goan. it's fucking amazing: a definate rush of exhiliration, vibrating vision, spots in front of the eyes, lightheaded perceptual shifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back