Can ye recommend some Tom Waits albums? (1 Viewer)

Closing Time, if you fancy some downbeat, jazz-influenced, amazingly-written songs. John-out-of-Stoat thinks the title track off Blue Valentine is the best song Tom ever wrote, so maybe that either

Swordfishtrombones or Frank's Wild Years if you want the weird stuff. Or Bone Machine

get to know the jazzy/piano Tom waits first.so get any albums pre 1983.
even thou post 1983 with swordfishtrombones might be his best its better to get to know his earlier stuff first. the later stuff is better then.
i would start with Closing Time and the heart of saturday night

Closing Time, if you fancy some downbeat, jazz-influenced, amazingly-written songs. John-out-of-Stoat thinks the title track off Blue Valentine is the best song Tom ever wrote, so maybe that either

Swordfishtrombones or Frank's Wild Years if you want the weird stuff. Or Bone Machine

Listen to egg, he speaks sense.

I've got an awful soft spot for Heartattack and Vine though. Jersey Girl, On The Nickle and Roby's Arms are some of my favourite Tom songs.

I found an old copy of Closing Time on Vinyl in Lyon a couple of weeks ago for €12. They also had an old A-House 10" in stock. I didn't buy that.

get to know the jazzy/piano Tom waits first.so get any albums pre 1983.
even thou post 1983 with swordfishtrombones might be his best its better to get to know his earlier stuff first. the later stuff is better then.
i would start with Closing Time and the heart of saturday night

I disagree, I did it the other way round, I don't think I'd really have got into the early stuff without hearing the later mad stuff first.

I Pretty much agree with all 0f the above - might even be best to start with a compilation if you wanna get a feel for his stuff. "Asylum Years" is a good start for the early piano-led songs. As already mentioned, albums like Blue Valentine, Heart-attack and Vine, Closing Time, Swordfishtrombones are all fantastic too.
Happy listening!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd start with Closing Time. He didn't sing in the gruff voice on that. And its instantly enjoyable. It took me ages to warm to the barky voice.

I love the later gruff voice way more than i do the earlier stuff. Although i do think you have to listen to the earlier albums to apreciate it more

Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones and Franks Wild Years are probably the best.

I love One From The Heart too. It has Waits singing about half the songs and Crystal Gayle singing the other half. Absolutely fantastic and if you are more of a Closing Time Waits fan than a Bone Machine one you'll love it.

Since Bone Machine, I've found it hard to really care about his albums.

I have live versions of On The Nickel and The Fall Of Troy that are some of the most amazing recordings I've ever heard. Track down his live stuff, his playing is great but the stories and banter between or during songs is class too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back