Camera for sale (1 Viewer)

i just got myself a pentax mef manual film camera for 135euro. i've wrecked 3 rolls of film so far after taking the pictures, i rewinded the film all the way so couldnt get it out. anyone got tips on how to judge where to stop when your rewinding, i cant figure it out? im going to ask in the shop tomar but i have a feeling i'll be left feeling more stupid then when i went in and guilty for no particular reason.

2. does anyone know of a camera club where people meet up in dublin bar the dublin camera club on aungier street?

3 i found out that you can get pictures from flicker by using "shift print" and pasting it into paste? not for all photos but definately for some. is their anyway of stopping this?

4. i've been applying for jobs in camera shops all over the city and basically for a job that has anything to do with photography. have had no luck so far and am becoming a little dis-heartened with the process. is their anyhting i can do when applying that can improve my chances?

i just got myself a pentax mef manual film camera for 135euro. i've wrecked 3 rolls of film so far after taking the pictures, i rewinded the film all the way so couldnt get it out. anyone got tips on how to judge where to stop when your rewinding, i cant figure it out? im going to ask in the shop tomar but i have a feeling i'll be left feeling more stupid then when i went in and guilty for no particular reason.

if youre processing the rolls yourself it helps but is not essential to leave a bit of the film leader out, if youre dropping them into the shop it makes no difference.

I always try to leave a bit of the leader out. Unwind the film fairly quickly for the first few rotations first and then more slowly. As the film leader comes loose from the other side you'll feel the movement of the rewind spool become freer.

As regards camera clubs, i joined the one on camden st years ago, but left as it was very competitive and full of wankers. I had expected it to be more friendly and relaxed, with a more casual 'lets talk about pictures' kinda vibe. I think most camera clubs are the same. Maybe we should satrt a thumped 'socialble snappers' club?

my dad joined a camera club about five or ten years ago. i went down once or twice, once to show them photos i'd taken in canada.

two women also showed up for the first time when i was there. my dad and another guy had to get to them before an elderly doctor, another member, did. apparently he was known to ask new female members would they be interested in posing for him in his house.

also, they started discussing going out on the following saturday morning to catch the good light for some landscapes; someone suggested 9am, but was shot down as being far too early. this was in july; i'd have been up at 6am or earlier.

anyway, they were a bunch of gear heads; it was a camera club, not a photography club.

my dad joined a camera club about five or ten years ago. i went down once or twice, once to show them photos i'd taken in canada.

two women also showed up for the first time when i was there. my dad and another guy had to get to them before an elderly doctor, another member, did. apparently he was known to ask new female members would they be interested in posing for him in his house.

also, they started discussing going out on the following saturday morning to catch the good light for some landscapes; someone suggested 9am, but was shot down as being far too early. this was in july; i'd have been up at 6am or earlier.

anyway, they were a bunch of gear heads; it was a camera club, not a photography club.

haha, I got stuck in the middle of a screaming match about film vs digital at one meeting, highpoint of which was one old guy proclaiming 'i paint with light, you paint with numbers'.

all in all were entirely competition focused (indeed the above agument was a tangent from an argument about compitions) and their idea of what was good was determined entierly by what would 'do well at the club'. strange bunch. nice darkrooms though!

their idea of what was good was determined entierly by what would 'do well at the club'.
oh, they're completely focused (pun intended) on technical merits when it comes to competition work; possibly because it's harder to dispute decisions over technical merit than it is over aesthetic merit. so you'd see great photos being critisised over technical flaws, with utterly boring shots doing well because exposure/focus/etc. was correct.

If you're developing the films yourself you can buy a little gizmo that you stick in the film can that pulls the leader back out. I'd imagine their fairly cheap but no idea where you'd get one.

A search for "film leader puller" brings up a few on ebay, so that's probably what they're called; so you don't look stupid asking for a film leader puller gizmo. :)

I wouldn't go near a camera club if I were paid but then again I don't have to.

right i thought i had to leave a bit out. thanks that saved me a lot of stress i was feeling yesterday cause it got sucked back in to the roll, will be developing them myself in awhile just not yet. thanks for the info on camera clubs.
1 ive found you can set up a darkroom for 300 euro is that a reasonable amount, i was thinking of afairly big one? also someone mentioned hospital xray deptpartments but i found out that they keep all there stuff thats not used under lock and key is their anywhere else i can get that material for free? film like?
2. does anyone here work in a camera shop? camera related area? j

3 jonny raz how do you do those ionography photos?

i always rewind the film leader fully once i've finished a roll. prevents any issues with not knowing whether a film has been exposed or not.

the other half is doing photography in college and on his portfolio course had to get work experience..it was pretty hard to find so he went to a pharmacy and got work experience in their photo lab..now he works there at weekends and whatnot..its not amazing but he gets a lot of experience with photoshop and whatnot so its suits..so it could be an option..

right i thought i had to leave a bit out. thanks that saved me a lot of stress i was feeling yesterday cause it got sucked back in to the roll, will be developing them myself in awhile just not yet. thanks for the info on camera clubs.
1 ive found you can set up a darkroom for 300 euro is that a reasonable amount, i was thinking of afairly big one? also someone mentioned hospital xray deptpartments but i found out that they keep all there stuff thats not used under lock and key is their anywhere else i can get that material for free? film like?
2. does anyone here work in a camera shop? camera related area? j

3 jonny raz how do you do those ionography photos?

I work in a hospital, and most of the xrays are done digitally now, so no darkrooms. also no way theyd let you in unless you were a staff member. In addition film etc for x-rays is a fairly specific product. As i mentioned before the dublin cmaera club has decent darkrooms, but you pretty much have to go through a masonic rite of initiation to get the HOLY AND MAGICAL FRONT DOOR KEY. If your prepared to go to a few meetings and befriend a few committee members you'll be ok.

the lomography ones? with one of these; a lomo fisheye, just a little gadget.
CZLFEB.JPG

shitty plastic fisheye lens gives weird effects. you can buy a fish eye attachment for slr lenses or a fisheye lens. If your in college a lot of their lenses will most likely be pentax mount ('student' cameras like pentax k1000, centon, chinon etc all have a pka bayonet mount).

i always rewind the film leader fully once i've finished a roll. prevents any issues with not knowing whether a film has been exposed or not.

Good advice there, nothing worse than paying for a film to be developed only to find out its unused.

doesnt the gallery of photography or the photographic archive have darkrooms that you can rent out by the hour?
\

yeah the gallery of photography in temple bar does. You just pay. There's no masonic ritual involved. It's 15 euro or so for a half-day, 30 or so for a full one. You have to pay a yearly membership too ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back