cambodia (2 Viewers)

Thorntree is the absolute job, i spend probably an hour a day lurking on there. The only problem is it's very elitist and people regularly get into scraps over nothing.

Bangkok i'm staying here. Haven't heard a bad word said against them on TT or anywhere else, lot of people saying they booked one night elsewhere, then went looking around for somewhere to stay and picked them and stayed for a week or whatever. Oh and if you go on thorn tree and tell them you're staying on khao san road you'll get shouted at, but i figure first few nights on a new continent, you'll appreciate having a few westerners around you.

I tend to stay away from Koh San road myself but it is good to get talking to people especially if you're travelling alone. It's not a bad place at night other than groups of lads that belong in a Spanish resort shouting up and down the road like idiots.

I'd totally agree that Thorn tree is full of elitist wankers. I remember getting loads of abuse on it before off someone because I wanted to do charity work on Phi Phi after the tsunami. He said I was this and that because the people who lived there originally went there illegally and they should not be allowed rebuild on the island.

Thorntree is the absolute job, i spend probably an hour a day lurking on there. The only problem is it's very elitist and people regularly get into scraps over nothing.

Bangkok i'm staying here. Haven't heard a bad word said against them on TT or anywhere else, lot of people saying they booked one night elsewhere, then went looking around for somewhere to stay and picked them and stayed for a week or whatever. Oh and if you go on thorn tree and tell them you're staying on khao san road you'll get shouted at, but i figure first few nights on a new continent, you'll appreciate having a few westerners around you.

Aye, that's why i'm staying there. Only in bangkok for two nights anyways.

I thought Khao San Road was kinda fun actually. It's like being in some sort of backpacker theme park.

Bleurgh
Khao San road.
It's great when you're 18 and your entire backpack is full of jonnies and Samsong, but it got old. Or maybe I did. Ah well.

I love this place
http://shantilodge.com/bangkok/index.html
It's chilled out, lovely rooms (they're all decorated differently), right beside a market (so loads of crazy cheap, fresh Thai food on your doorstep) and right across from a 20 Baht an hour internet shop with amazing lemon and mango smoothies.
AND it's close to the river taxi and only 30 Baht by taxi to Khao San.

Best bet for Bangkok by far I reckon.

the only good thing about khao san road is the HOT backpacker dudes you spot there. apart from that, there were a few fun times i had there. but i feel like ive grown out of it all........last time i stayed in bangkok was in a hotel (i was on a junket) and i kinda preferred that!!! ;)

Bleurgh
Khao San road.
It's great when you're 18 and your entire backpack is full of jonnies and Samsong, but it got old. Or maybe I did. Ah well.

I love this place
http://shantilodge.com/bangkok/index.html
It's chilled out, lovely rooms (they're all decorated differently), right beside a market (so loads of crazy cheap, fresh Thai food on your doorstep) and right across from a 20 Baht an hour internet shop with amazing lemon and mango smoothies.
AND it's close to the river taxi and only 30 Baht by taxi to Khao San.

Best bet for Bangkok by far I reckon.

hey thanks for the tip, im sitting in that very internet cafe now across from the most beautiful guest house room ive ever stayed in in that Shanti Lodge place.might get a 4euro hour long massage later. this place is bonkers. byeeeeeee

I changed my dates so will be flying out on the 20th for 6 weeks. The excitement will kick in mid next week I'd say. YES

Haha! Deadly!
Glad you're enjoying yourself there, clonan attack.
I wouldn't bother eating in Shanti, though the food is still nice. The market has some really excellent food and if it's closed the night stalls that open up are amazing and really cheap too. There's a guy who does the best pork and prawn noodle soup I've ever had in my life, he's outside the 7-11 in a little van.
A trip up to China Town on the River Taxi is a good buzz too.

yeah, cambodia is great. i spent a few days in Siem Reape (angkor wat town), there's not a helluva lot to do there bar the angkor wat temples but still enjoyable. we didn't do the cheapo back packer type job instead opting for a 5 star hotel (you'll see loads there full of japanese tourists). hiring tuk-tuks and going to random places is great and really cheap. the roads are a complete mess, it's half the fun wondering whether you're gonna end up dead or alive by the end of the journey. if you like the doobie, make sure you have the herb pizza, you'll get a decent sized one for about 5 bucks and you'll be fucked afterwards.

here's the flickr photoset of me cambodia trip. http://flickr.com/photos/seamus_walsh/sets/72157594253962466/

I changed my dates so will be flying out on the 20th for 6 weeks. The excitement will kick in mid next week I'd say. YES

trying not to be jealous. are you staying just in cambodia or moving around the other countries a bit too? six weeks you could do heaps.

trying not to be jealous. are you staying just in cambodia or moving around the other countries a bit too? six weeks you could do heaps.

Not actually going near Cambodia....Thailand and Laos only. Haven't been to Laos in two years so really looking forward to it!

awesome. you going to do mroe of laos like going down to pakse? ive heard its amazing down there

I'd like to get over to see the 4,000 islands but unsure what we're going to do in Laos as of yet. I've only got a rough itinerary made out that needs to be discussed with two others and that will most likely happen over there. I don't want to be down the south of Thailand any later than the 18th but other than that I'm playing it by ear.

in vang vieng now,
had a class day yesterday tubing down the river from bar to bar, stopping off getting fucked on buckets and beer.
Luang Prabang was great for kayaking and vientiane was so quiet it was scary, still all real nice sleepy towns, except this place, its crazy here, full of tourists but good ones for the most part.
i would say 70% of the people here now are Irish, thankfully theyre some of the better ones, all doing the same thing se asia, oz, nz, and south america.

They do a lovely opium tea in van vieng :)

in vang vieng now,
had a class day yesterday tubing down the river from bar to bar, stopping off getting fucked on buckets and beer.
Luang Prabang was great for kayaking and vientiane was so quiet it was scary, still all real nice sleepy towns, except this place, its crazy here, full of tourists but good ones for the most part.
i would say 70% of the people here now are Irish, thankfully theyre some of the better ones, all doing the same thing se asia, oz, nz, and south america.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back