cambodia (2 Viewers)

yeah man you were right, it totally kicks ass. im gonna be SO sad to leave tomorrow!
ah well. i can definitely see myself returning (for a longer trip) in teh future.,

im back. and depressed. mulling over my photos with glazed eyes.
will post up soon!

schnapper - there was a 'happy' menu i nicked from one of the restaurants - fucking hilarious!

im back. and depressed. mulling over my photos with glazed eyes.
will post up soon!

schnapper - there was a 'happy' menu i nicked from one of the restaurants - fucking hilarious!

So you back in Dublin?
The happy menu's are class, did you try the opium tea? It's a personal favourite of mine.

Any chance of a photocopy for my wall :)

So you back in Dublin?
The happy menu's are class, did you try the opium tea? It's a personal favourite of mine.

Any chance of a photocopy for my wall :)

no, back in HK - will be back in Dublin next weekend. i can surely photocopy one for you, the one i have is this one :)

DSC09573.jpg

i didnt try the opium at all - im not sure id be into that, but i did get sufficiently stoned enough to get the full vang vieng experience!

i think the funniest thing about that menu is

"bag of opium"

hahahahahaqh!

"sabaidee, id like a beerlao, a pizza and a bag of opium please, khob chai"

also, check out the pictures they used - the one on the right cracks me up everytime.

hahahahahahahaha so funny. only in asia :p

anyway in the meantime you can check out the random photos thread as i have started posting some pics upo there

no, back in HK - will be back in Dublin next weekend. i can surely photocopy one for you, the one i have is this one :)

DSC09573.jpg

i didnt try the opium at all - im not sure id be into that, but i did get sufficiently stoned enough to get the full vang vieng experience!

i think the funniest thing about that menu is

"bag of opium"

hahahahahaqh!

"sabaidee, id like a beerlao, a pizza and a bag of opium please, khob chai"

also, check out the pictures they used - the one on the right cracks me up everytime.

hahahahahahahaha so funny. only in asia :p

anyway in the meantime you can check out the random photos thread as i have started posting some pics upo there

Aw I miss all those mispelled menu's so much. Are there still about 50 bars playing Friends dvds non stop all day ? That used to wreck my head in Van Vieng.

Oh and isn't beer laos the nicest beer you've ever tasted? I got onto a distribution company a while ago and they gave me a list of off licenses in Ireland that stock it. I treat myself to it now and again

Aw I miss all those mispelled menu's so much. Are there still about 50 bars playing Friends dvds non stop all day ? That used to wreck my head in Van Vieng.

Oh and isn't beer laos the nicest beer you've ever tasted? I got onto a distribution company a while ago and they gave me a list of off licenses in Ireland that stock it. I treat myself to it now and again

ugh i HATE those friends bars. the bar we went to with that menu wasn't one thankfully. we avoided teh friends places - so odd. did you go to the organic farm cafe? really good grub. i have to say the food in laos is deadly, really healthy and yum.
beerlao is a deadly beer! i succumbed and even bought myself a beerlao t shirt - i just had to. good news that you can get it back in dublin, though it'll make me miss it even more :(

ugh i HATE those friends bars. the bar we went to with that menu wasn't one thankfully. we avoided teh friends places - so odd. did you go to the organic farm cafe? really good grub. i have to say the food in laos is deadly, really healthy and yum.
beerlao is a deadly beer! i succumbed and even bought myself a beerlao t shirt - i just had to. good news that you can get it back in dublin, though it'll make me miss it even more :(

I never went to the organic farm cafe and to be honest I'm usually stoned 24/7 and tend to be eating pizza's and other unhealthy munchie food. Did you enjoy the tubing? I think it's one of the best things in the world, especially with the little stop offs.

Was your heart in your mouth travelling from Vientiane to Van Vieng with the dodgy high roads and armed men? The last time I travelled them roads there was a turned over truck and we all had to abandon the bus for a while with plenty of armed men around us holding ak47's.

I never went to the organic farm cafe and to be honest I'm usually stoned 24/7 and tend to be eating pizza's and other unhealthy munchie food. Did you enjoy the tubing? I think it's one of the best things in the world, especially with the little stop offs.

Was your heart in your mouth travelling from Vientiane to Van Vieng with the dodgy high roads and armed men? The last time I travelled them roads there was a turned over truck and we all had to abandon the bus for a while with plenty of armed men around us holding ak47's.

tubing was the best thing ever. im going to upload some videos to youtube and when i do ill post a link. one of the best days ever, just so much fun. met a load of really deadly people and just drank beer and got stoned in the bamboo bars and had a deadly time. so annpyed with mysef though cos i chickened out of doing the high swing, im such a doofus! also i thought lonely planet was being nerdy saying not to stay on the river after dark, so a load of us just drank ourselves stupid at the last bar and only got back onto our tubes in th evening. BIG mistake. we were all drunk and high and incapable of seeing where we were going. the river was a little too quiet - and then suddenyl the thunder and LIGHTNING appeared. freakout!!! we luckily kept to the left and couldnt find where we were supposed to get out so we half tore down a fence and crawled to safety. scariest half hour of my life! (apart from flying lao airlines from LP to VT!)

the bus drivers we had were pretty damn slow so i wasnt too worried on the road but there were some hair raising moments. we saw a few dudes with guns and that kinda shook me up a bit - but in general it was ok. had our driver been crazy then it might have been different.

i love how in each of those highland villages everyone is so chilled out and relaxed - and it seems like each woman of the house has a little cute baby bundle with her - so cute. i wish i had taken more photos but my camera was losing battery power. shit! anyway, all in all what a country. i really hope it doesnt get fucked up like thailand. you should go to Myanmar too - another relatively untouched
corner of asia.

right here's the youtube stuff i have up so far

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

thats my friend at the beginning :)

right here's the youtube stuff i have up so far

giving alms to the monks

and one of the river bars

thats my friend at the beginning :)

I know that exact river bar, it's the best one with some good reggae music pumping out of it. That wooden structure wasn't there last time I visited so to get a good swing a group of people had to pull the end of the rope and run back with it until you got to a decent height.

It's amazing how they build those things

I know that exact river bar, it's the best one with some good reggae music pumping out of it. That wooden structure wasn't there last time I visited so to get a good swing a group of people had to pull the end of the rope and run back with it until you got to a decent height.

It's amazing how they build those things

yeah that was the last bar, the one with the pool table. was that there when you were? that swing was one of the best apparently, you could actually swing back up to the platform if you wanted to.

yeah that was the last bar, the one with the pool table. was that there when you were? that swing was one of the best apparently, you could actually swing back up to the platform if you wanted to.

There was no pools table there when I was there and you'd wonder how the fuck they managed to get a pool table across there anyway! I only recall a bar, loud PA system, some seats and alot of weed and free 'laos laos whiskey'

what part of Laos is that in?
Im getting so excited now, was kinda anxious before going on my own now i think itll open up lots of opportunities.

vang vieng. aw man what i would give to be back there right now. it's ultimate awesomeness nestled in the most stunning location.

you should also check out luang prabang - amazing city. get up early and give alms to the monks if you care.

i wouldnt bother with vientiane for too long, 2 days is enough i reckon. give yourself heaps of time for the other two

Oi clonan, check out http://www.travelfish.org/country/laos - they've shitloads of great info on all the SE Asian countries. Good for hostel reccomendations too, booked my first few nights in bangkok off there.

cool thanks, what accom did you go for in Bangkok?

Ive just spent 90 minutes reading over the entire thumped archives of the travel section.

Great stuff, as good as lonely planets and all are its the best getting info about foreign places from your own people, particularly like minded people, although im sure we'd all hate each other in real life!;)

Pete, i personally thank you for this section of Thumped, it has become invaluable to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back