Buying a tablet - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Ferox13

Was considering getting a Tablet device - mostly for reading comics and watching films (plus the odd bit of web browsing). I am thinking a 10" screen for the .CBRs would be best. I am looking in the €200 price range . I would also like it to accept MicroSD cards. Camera/Video isn't important to me. Good battery life would be a plus. Games not so much. Did anyone pic up those 10" tablets they had in Tescos? Are they still around?

Any recommendations? Any brands to avoid? Where to buy (I am in Dublin)?

I kinda liked the look of this - is that resolution ok for my purposes? I am pretty clueless about what specs tablets should have:

Lenovo IdeaTab S6000L-00060 - 16GB
10.1", 1280x800, Cortex A7, 1GB, 16GB Flash, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
pimpicture.ashx

FULL INFO

Thanks in advance.

We got a Nexus 7 recently, after doing some research, and it's both more or less than what you'd need: best processor for gaming, and already has the latest Android OS, but no MicroSD or HDMI ports. You don't want either of that, so I think anything in the sub €200 range would suit you. Do get the best screen resolution you can afford, though, as it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Thanks for that info - I kinda feel a bigger screen would be better for comics though. How much of a page can you read comfortable at once on the NExus?

Sorry I didn't see your reply till now! At a comfortable size I'd say you'd get about 60% of a page on the Nexus 7 (just going from memory, don't have it here with me). Obviously at full size you'd have trouble reading the speech bubbles but tapping and pinching to zoom is so easy you won't even think about it after a while. If you read manga it's even better: hell, I've read manga on my Kindle easy enough.

Hey MacDara,
Thanks for the above info. I'm in the market for a tablet (or reader?)
that I can:
  • read PDF/ePub books & make notes, etc. Does the Nexus stylus work in this way?
  • save Wikipedia pages,Sound on Sound articles,etc for reference & research.
  • Use as a phone, and for tunes,etc.
Will the Nexus do all this?And what's the battery life like?
I'm asking a lot, probably..
Thanks again
Gav

I think I am going for the LG G Pad 8.3.
It seems to tick all the boxes for me and 8.3" is big enough to read a full comic book page with out zooming.

Gavisom - AFIK you can't use any tablet as a phone unless you are using it for VOIP calls.

Hey MacDara,
Thanks for the above info. I'm in the market for a tablet (or reader?)
that I can:
  • read PDF/ePub books & make notes, etc. Does the Nexus stylus work in this way?
  • save Wikipedia pages,Sound on Sound articles,etc for reference & research.
  • Use as a phone, and for tunes,etc.
Will the Nexus do all this?And what's the battery life like?
I'm asking a lot, probably..
Thanks again
Gav

Sorry for the late reply on this - I've no idea what the Nexus phones are like, I can only vouch for the tablet, which I only use for light browsing and watching videos, no music (though I'm sure it's grand for that). Don't have a stylus with this one and haven't had the need to make notes on anything, so again I can't help you there.

But I wouldn't recommend any colour-screen tablet for reading anything substantial, anyway; e-ink is still far, far better.

these 8gb generic ones on amazon for 40 quid. anyone bought one? i want one to skype my family and use gdocs a fair bit. and play 2048. is 8gb alright? i have never touched one of these things.

Hey MacDara
Thanks for the the info that time, this is my first time logging on in ages. Still havent purchased, still broke! I'll keep your advice in mind though, cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back