Buying a new TV (1 Viewer)

My recommendation: buy the dumbest 1080p TV possible with the most amount of HDMI inputs. Smart TV software inevitably becomes abandonware, get a Roku or Apple TV (new one being announced tomorrow) for smart stuff.

I can't see 4K content becoming commonplace for quite a while, Netflix are making noises about their offerings but it's what, just a few shows? 4K is the current carrot to lure folks into upgrading to the latest & greatest but without a decent whack of content, it's a feature you'll only make use of occasionally.

If you're looking to splurge, i'd go for an OLED panel, better picture than LED.

Yeah the 4k section on Netflix is pretty small but everything they produce themselves here on out is going to be 4k. 4k bluray players allegedly out this Christmas so that might change things.

4k HDR is another thing coming.

Then 8k

And so on and on and on.....

I'd say 4k blurays will be the last physical media for video. I'd wager a lot of people don't even own a DVD/Bluray player anymore with tv streaming becoming more popular & folks watching stuff on their laptops.

I'd say 4k blurays will be the last physical media for video. I'd wager a lot of people don't even own a DVD/Bluray player anymore with tv streaming becoming more popular & folks watching stuff on their laptops.

I was looking at BluRay players last night in Best Buy

They are so tiny now. Can't imagine wanting to build up a collection of physical media anymore though.
Well, books.

My brother has a really new sexy smart TV, but he said most if not all of the features lost their appeal when he got a Chromecast. He couldn't be arsed typing a search for a youtube video with a remote control when he can do it so much quicker on his laptop with a remote control and chromecast it.

For me the ultimate solution would be to get a (non-smart) TV but then connect it with something like this as a media centre for everything, connected with HDMI. As it's basically a mini PC it will obviously do anything your laptop/phone can... Movies, Netflix, Youtune, Spotify etc.

For me the ultimate solution would be to get a (non-smart) TV but then connect it with something like this as a media centre for everything, connected with HDMI. As it's basically a mini PC it will obviously do anything your laptop/phone can... Movies, Netflix, Youtune, Spotify etc.
That looks amazing!

But installing a hard drive, RAM and operating system? I'd fuck that up.
Is there a plug & play version of this?

That looks amazing!

Yeah there's loads with stuff pre-installed. Just google "mini pc" or "mini pc windows 2015" and stuff like that. Even a quick "mini pc" search on amazon brought up these.

One of the benefits of something like a nuc is no fan noise or similar. There's often no moving parts.

That looks amazing!

I'm getting one of THESE - basically an ultra-silent Windows 10 pc the size of a few boxes of cigarettes. It should take care of all my media related stuff and trounce any smart TV features. I'll let you know how I get on when I get it up and running,

I'm getting one of THESE - basically an ultra-silent Windows 10 pc the size of a few boxes of cigarettes. It should take care of all my media related stuff and trounce any smart TV features. I'll let you know how I get on when I get it up and running,
Ooohh

Looks nice

But I think I want something with bags of storage. I plan on downloading a lot.

Keep me in the loop on this please.

Thanks

Ooohh

Looks nice

But I think I want something with bags of storage. I plan on downloading a lot.

Keep me in the loop on this please.

Thanks

Just plug in your existing media storage via one of it'd USB slots, or buy a micoSD card. It's actually a design feature to have no moving parts to negate the need to have cooling (and therefore being subject to both Hard Drive and fan noise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back