7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
So I have to buy a TV for someone in Ireland. I need advice. It's been years since I bought one, and my method has always been to buy the largest display model and take it home as is.

My understanding is that TV's are 'smart' now.

This person will not want anything too big.

So I am asking the Thumped brain trust for what to look out for, or if anyone's seen a good deal.

Komplett don't seem to sell them and Peats has gone bang.

Where do the value-conscious shop for big box items?

Many thanks

My 2 cents:

Get a dumb television. If you need to make it smart, get a Roku/Apple TV. Smart TVs will get dumber over time as the manufacturers stop providing updates. Smart TV manufacturers aren't the bastions of great UX/UI (unless Samsung were to make greater use of their acquisition of Boxee which would be awesome).

Get an LED. Lighter than LCDs.

Depending on what size telly you need, don't bet on having a great range of decent brands if you're looking for something less than 32". The big brands are increasingly making their panel sizes larger (think 46" and bigger).

If there's a satellite connection available, try finding something with a DVB-S/S2 tuner so you can take advantage of free to air stuff without need an extra box. I have a Blaupunkt 32" telly (cost about €300-ish last year) than has a whole bunch of tuners built-in.

No, a dumb TV is one that doesn't have all those built-in apps (Youtube/Netflix/etc) which manufacturers will inevitably abandon. It just has the basic tuners.

yea I looked into that but I can't handle another plug and more fucking wires around the TV.
I figured out a workaround to get posh sound from the stereo speakers which are already in the room by using an unused AirPort Express thing hooked up to the stereo, then using Airplay I can send the audio from the AppleTV through that. I used that set up once I doubt I'll ever do it again as it required 4 electrical item to be on. Dumb.

So it looks like I need a new TV. This one I have is 4+ years old.
Last night it started just switching itself on and off.

I'm torn between trying to get it fixed at the Vietnamese place or splurging on a brand new yoke. Smart TV with all the bells and whistles and whatnot.

I still think a TV should last more than 4 year though.

Thinking of one of these
Expensive, but I have a store card with these guys, so I could put it on tick. 50 quid a week or something.
Samsung - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - Black

Sony - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - Silver

Are Sony still the best or have Samsung overtaken them?

Them's cheap.

Remember you'll also need to upgrade your Netflix subscription if you want their 4k content.

Them's cheap.
Oh, cool.

Remember you'll also need to upgrade your Netflix subscription if you want their 4k content.

Ooh, good info. Shit.

I was just looking at Narcos last night and the quality is crappo. I was wondering, is that my subscription or my Comcast connection?
Maybe it's the subscription so.

And they're cheap by Irish prices. I think you could pay around €1500- €2000 for a good quality 55" 4k at retail. I know Amazon.com do cheap ($500?) 4k TVs over there.

Incidentally Aldi are doing a 40" 4k TV for €400 this Sunday.

And they're cheap by Irish prices. I think you could pay around €1500- €2000 for a good quality 55" 4k at retail. I know Amazon.com do cheap ($500?) 4k TVs over there.

Incidentally Aldi are doing a 40" 4k TV for €400 this Sunday.
I am generally not very brand conscious, but when it comes to electronics I will spend to get something I'm going to use a lot.

You think that Aldi TV would be any use?

Damn, there's a brand I recognise on Amazon for $450
Amazon product ASIN B00V5R8F40
Amazon product ASIN B00V5R8F40

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back