buy nothing day demo (2 Viewers)

deco[y]

just read this on indymedja. posting it here cos no-one reads the politics board. right? thought some here might like to know.

buy nothing day demo on Satuarday

2 pm, Central Bank, move to Grafton Street.
come out and protest against the increasingly consumerist society

central bank, 2pm is the meet up point. the hope is to head up GRafton street and disrupt shopping, if even just for a few minutes. Make people stop and think about their actions. Anyone with information leaflets about sweatshops, neo-liberalism, alternatives, please bring them along and hand them out to shoppers. Tomorrow is an attempt to inform people who are blindly shopping their lives away in a search for happiness and an attempt to win their hearts and minds and maybe set them on the path to questioning the corporate influence that is all pervasive in our lives.

It should be a bit of a carnival atmosphere. Musicians, bring your music. Bring foghorns and whistles and noise and a smile and turn tomorrow from the usual high street display of banal shoppers and droned looks to a boulevard of fun. Stop shopping. Start living.

Originally posted by deco[y]
the hope is to head up GRafton street and disrupt shopping, if even just for a few minutes. Make people stop and think about their actions. Anyone with information leaflets about sweatshops, neo-liberalism, alternatives, please bring them along and hand them out to shoppers. Tomorrow is an attempt to inform people who are blindly shopping their lives away in a search for happiness and an attempt to win their hearts and minds and maybe set them on the path to questioning the corporate influence that is all pervasive in our lives.

You really think anyone who shops on Grafton Street gives a fuck?

ridiculous optimism!

Yeah, actually I do. Then again I possess a ridiculously high level of optimism in my fellow man.

Most people are quite reasonable and even more of them know nothing about sweatshops or the negative effects of neo-liberalist commerce. Ok, so when endowed with this information, the majority will go on about their business and not change a single facet of their lives. That is hardly a reason not to make an effort to inform people. They can do what they like after that.

i was hoping this was about the band, buy nothing day, and their demo, soon to be released as a c-90 tape on their own 'label' Maxell House.

Can I just go Stealing Deco(Y)? I love nickin shit right from under the noses of ape security gaurds. .......Actually I gotta see someone about this.... I think I've got an illness....last week I nicked a Blender! What the fuck do I want with a blender? I should've just got a good hair dryer. .....no, actually nickin a newspaper was my all time low......help

Re: ridiculous optimism!

Originally posted by deco[y]
Yeah, actually I do. Then again I possess a ridiculously high level of optimism in my fellow man.

Most people are quite reasonable and even more of them know nothing about sweatshops or the negative effects of neo-liberalist commerce. Ok, so when endowed with this information, the majority will go on about their business and not change a single facet of their lives. That is hardly a reason not to make an effort to inform people. They can do what they like after that.

I on the other hand, am a cynic.

[not directed at anyone in particular]

I just wonder about who the protesting benefits most - the undeducated masses, or those who need to feel validated by being involved in protesting, regardless of what they're protesting about.

[/not directed at anyone in particular]

how come the buy nothing day in Ireland seems to be a day later than everywhere else?
here in Canada it was on Friday the 29th,and i'm pretty sure most other countries were the same.

story like?

Also,pete,your last post there was uber-cynical.Do you really think those people gave up their saturday just so they could feel good within themselves?Really?

you're going to move this now,aren't you?

Originally posted by nine
Also,pete,your last post there was uber-cynical.Do you really think those people gave up their saturday just so they could feel good within themselves?Really?

That I can't say - I don't know anyone involved.

But I've seen it first hand plenty of times.

Fair enough.I thought you were talking about all protesters.

Cynicism is great though,isn't it?

Buy Nothing Day

What a fucking ROARING success.

I think Ireland thought that giving a barman a few quid and receiving a refreshing beverage did not actually count as BUYing something.

And booze, I'm ashamed to say that it didn't even cross my mind when I was getting locked in me local... I didn't buy anything else that day though!

My list:

* 3 CD-Rs (for work)
* Soup from Soup Dragon (I figured they're a cottage industry, not a chain of c*nts).

...then after work all hell broke loose...

* tons of pints
* call credit
* cigarettes.

I too shall burn.

Can I bring my shotgun? Just for intimidation like I won'd load it . But when I point it in the shoppers faces they wont know that. And can we smash up McDonalds too? I've got nothing against them but I just like smashing things up and I can then say it's because of global consumnational rises

Re: Re: ridiculous optimism!

Originally posted by pete

I just wonder about who the protesting benefits most - the undeducated masses, or those who need to feel validated by being involved in protesting, regardless of what they're protesting about.

[/not directed at anyone in particular]

Exactly. Most of those people in the Dame street riots last year hadn't got a clue what the protest was about. They were mostly idiots drinking cans with taches and bubble jackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back